lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

219 posts in this topic

@@Alexander33 given the rapid response to the ban for gate checking laptops etc. I would think that the affected airlines will be bending over backwards to help and therefore try to maintain repeat business and reputation. What about routing back via London? This would then be laptops and tablets only.....

Posted (edited)

Seems that investing in a pelican case seems wise. If only the airline would guarantee that there would be no pilferage or loss (or bad handling) then i would not mind checking in the gear. BTW, from the Emirates press release it appears that CPAP machines may be excluded. That is a relief! But one would still have to take prior permission to take it in the cabin and would probably also require a doctor's recommendation.

Ps: Any idea about the size/model of the case and add ons that we need to purchase? All of us normally carry similar gear.

Edited by Earthian

I keep seeing mention of "pelican cases". I don't have camera equipment that comes close to needing that, but I'm curious...if you get the pelican case, what's the plan on dealing with weigh issues with small planes or planes that will only accept soft luggage? Trying to learn as I read though all the posts :)

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

• the restrictions are for international flights only

if you go for a hard case on your international flight be it pelican or just a paklite hard shell, luggage straps etc are going to aid to identifying it when it comes out at the other end

adding one of your own photos which you have laminated and put on as a extra luggage tag could help

avoid getting anything which is black as they are very popular, so there are more tags to look at before you find your bag

internal flights on light planes continue to require small soft bags

you pack the things needed for safari, then leave your hard suitcase in hotel storage

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Seems that investing in a pelican case seems wise. If only the airline would guarantee that there would be no pilferage or loss (or bad handling) then i would not mind checking in the gear. BTW, from the Emirates press release it appears that CPAP machines may be excluded. That is a relief! But one would still have to take prior permission to take it in the cabin and would probably also require a doctor's recommendation.

Ps: Any idea about the size/model of the case and add ons that we need to purchase? All of us normally carry similar gear.

Will be looking into details of the pelican next week .... I think these are close to tamper proof as you can get for Camera cases that can be checked in. Similar stuff, you will have seen at the baggage carousel ?

@imonmm - I just think the bush planes will need to factor it into the weight allocations, as this might simply be the norm in the future ...... to adjust the overall weight, they might need to fly in their fruit and veg separately and not with the Passengers.

... will need to factor it into the weight allocations, as this might simply be the norm in the future ...... to adjust the overall weight, they might need to fly in their fruit and veg separately and not with the Passengers.

Yes, they would. And maybe the price would go up. Some adjustment (on the part of service providers) is preferable to reduced business...and on the part of the passengers- Some price increase better than taking reduced gear.

PS: Would appreciate your findings after the pelican due diligence

2 people like this

I keep seeing mention of "pelican cases". I don't have camera equipment that comes close to needing that, but I'm curious...if you get the pelican case, what's the plan on dealing with weigh issues with small planes or planes that will only accept soft luggage? Trying to learn as I read though all the posts :)

@Imonmm I'd unpack my gear and leave the hard case in town if possible, then pick it up on the way out. Lugging a case around would be a hassle even if they did take it. But @@madaboutcheetah may be right for places where they have a lot of photographers. But wait and see what happens with lenses first - if it only camera bodies I am not sure that is going to require a big case. A small case inside a normal tamper proof bag should be okay and that won't weigh much more than 1 kg..

2 people like this

@@offshorebirder You wouldn't need to ship stuff to Kenya- it's just the return trip that seems to be the problem and I'm with you- never would I put my camera in my checked luggage and my guess is your camera equipment is way better than mine. :) @@AKR1 I thought the Jordanian response was pretty funny- I saw it yesterday. But then, I love good sarcasm. It was good to see that Turkish Airlines clearly talked about cameras being part of the special handling whereas I only see laptops and tablets mentioned elsewhere. @@amybatt Maybe that would work for you and the Zambia trip?

Right! So Shipping your body (camera one) home with DHL or similar might still be an option.

I saw a news report on tv this morning that showed the process at Istanbul on Turkish. They were wrapping DSLRs in bubble wrap (not their cases) and packing them all into a big metal-looking cargo case (like half the size of a coffin with a big closing lid). It all just got packed in on top of each other, like a big toy box I had when I was a kid. They also give passengers a bar coded stub that matches what gets stuck on to the camera. I think for now I'm going to wait this out and find other destinations I don't need to use these airlines. And wait to see that it doesn't expand beyond these airlines.

5 people like this

@Amybatt wow- that certainly didn't sound very safe for any electronic equipment. Thanks for sharing this.

What about routing back via London? This would then be laptops and tablets only.....

@@Tdgraves

That's exactly what I've been thinking, although not from Doha. I'm looking at flying from Kigali to Johannesburg, and from there, back to the U.S. via Heathrow on British Airways. Not a perfect solution, but I don't think a perfect solution exists at this point, and if the ban is expanded, I definitely would have more options out of Johannesburg than either Kigali or Doha.

1 person likes this

I saw a news report on tv this morning that showed the process at Istanbul on Turkish. They were wrapping DSLRs in bubble wrap (not their cases) and packing them all into a big metal-looking cargo case (like half the size of a coffin with a big closing lid). It all just got packed in on top of each other, like a big toy box I had when I was a kid. They also give passengers a bar coded stub that matches what gets stuck on to the camera. I think for now I'm going to wait this out and find other destinations I don't need to use these airlines. And wait to see that it doesn't expand beyond these airlines.

@@amybatt

Thanks for this update. I hadn't seen that. Not exactly making my heart flutter with optimism.....

1 person likes this

pelican cases will be in the storage room at the hotel

as per usual bush planes will only take soft bags

The other alternate - rent all your gear in JNB or Nairobi (not sure it's possible) ......... If I were to go to Alaska (which is on my list) i'd definitely rent it State Side......

1 person likes this

pelican cases will be in the storage room at the hotel

as per usual bush planes will only take soft bags

but there isn't always a hotel on one's first night. Most often when flying to Africa from the US we are going straight to our final destination with no intermediate hotel.

Renting gear is definitely an option in some places and one which I've considered anyway. But this is also tricky as you'd probably have to ship it to your safari operator or have them pick it up. Again, depending on one's final destination it may not even be remotely possible. I doubt there is high-end gear rental in Madagascar, Ethiopia, or even Rwanda.

I am very luck that I am in NYC and so honestly at this time, this whole thing is not an issue for me as I can easily find other routes that don't pass through these middle eastern countries. Unless of course they expand this ban in the future. :angry: I just booked my flights to Zambia entirely on South African Airways which seems a pretty safe bet (though you never know in this day...)

I do feel for anyone caught up in this mess though, it might have been me as I nearly booked Emirates for this trip and was also considering Ethiad for my India trip but not anymore!

Posted (edited)

Here's a link to an article about how Qatar Airways is handling this:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/03/live-from-doha-qatar-electronics-ban/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thepointsguy+%28The+Points+Guy%29

Evidently, you can get your electronics bubble-wrapped and boxed at Doha for $15 pre-security. Setting aside concerns for how effective this process might be for protecting your gear, and disregarding altogether the issue of risk of theft, is the directive that if you are only transiting at Doha, you are asked to check your electronics at your originating departure location:

"Qatar Airways is requesting that passengers who are flying from -- or connecting through -- Doha (DOH) to the US place their electronics in their checked baggage at their origin" (emphasis added).

That's problematic, because a lot of (most of? all of?) the originating locations from which transiting passengers are flying may not have this Seal-and-Go service, and if you're holding a ticket where Doha is not your final destination, it's very unlikely (if not impossible) that you will be able to collect your luggage at Doha and then recheck it. So I really question how much good this service will do in the long-run.

Then there's this:

"Unlike Emirates, Qatar hasn't publicized this procedure, but the airline is currently checking electronics at the gate. Officially, passengers are required to check large electronic devices into their checked baggage at check-in -- either in Doha or at their origin. However, a Qatar agent explained that 'not all airports have been briefed' on the new procedures. So for now, Qatar is accommodating these guests by checking electronics when discovered at gate-side security" (emphasis added).

Operative phrase there: "So, for now....."

Edited by Alexander33
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I know that Safarilink at Wilson airport ,Nairobi has a storage room

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

Just read through all this.

We are planning to go to Zambia ( from UK) in July, and hope to confirm the booking next week.

Part of that would include the international flight - we had chosen Emirates, London via Dubai to Lusaka.

As we have not booked the flight yet I assume it would be best for us to book on South African instead - London via Jo'burg to Lusaka?

1 person likes this

It is not about how you will go to Lusaka, it is about how you will return from Lusaka, @@Julian ! If flying with expensive camera gear then SAA is much safer option.

2 people like this

It is not about how you will go to Lusaka, it is about how you will return from Lusaka, @@Julian ! If flying with expensive camera gear then SAA is much safer option.

@@xelas

Yes, I realise from the posts that its the return journey that matters, but it makes sense for us to book both directions via Jo'burg on SA airways - unless of course these restrictions are implemented for all international flights. Then it would be a question of which airline is is most likely to get your camera equipment safely to your destinations.

1 person likes this

@@Julian ..... there are no restrictions for Emirates flights to the UK. The UK ban does not include emirates or etihad ...... but, other airlines like Turkish etc etc., you will be fine to stick with EK

2 people like this

@@Julian ..... there are no restrictions for Emirates flights to the UK. The UK ban does not include emirates or etihad ...... but, other airlines like Turkish etc etc., you will be fine to stick with EK

@@madaboutcheetah

The UK Govt info says the restrictions apply to all flights to and from certain countries, and there also info about not carrying spare batteries , even in hold luggage. THe info regarding camera and battery restrictions seems rather complicated.

https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/electronic-devices-and-electrical-items

@@Julian I think @@madaboutcheetah is saying Emirates and Etihad are not affected as they hub through Dubai and Abu Dhabi which are in the UAE so not affected. I assume the same would apply to Doha which is in Qatar which is also not affected.

1 person likes this

@@Julian - that's correct ......... will try and find you the link - was on the CNN website last week. An article with clear indication of which airports/airlines were impacted by the electronics ban ....... Why not ring Emirates tonight? Easy answer for you. Yes, Qatar/Doha also has no restrictions to the UK.

1 person likes this