lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

202 posts in this topic

I was reading about all the reasons why this ban is poorly thought out, of which there are many. This seems to be the norm these days in the US.

The one I thought was the best example of why this is a ridiculous ban was the example of two associates going through security at the same airport, booked on different flights, one to the US/UK and another to a non-electronic banning location. One can carry a laptop through security and hand it off to his associate that is flying straight to the US or UK once in the terminal.

There might be an extra inspection at the boarding gate. It happens in Costa Rica on flights going to US.

1 person likes this

Amazingly fast response from Emirates, although the story is that they have seen this coming for a while, so maybe they'd been working on this. I'd love to ask though about cameras. Can those be packed/stored/safely returned on arrival in the US, I wonder?

1 person likes this

That's pretty fine service from Emirates. Whilst I can live without a laptop and ipad. I'd feel much better about handing a camera in at the gate and then picking it up at my destination. It could still go missing of course, but less time hanging around Baggage handling on the outward journey has got to increase the odds of safe arrival.

2 people like this

Good response from emirates, but I agree with Amy--what about cameras? To me and I think many of us safari-goers on that's the bigger issue. I can live without my ipad and laptop on the flight but just don't trust putting my camera equipment in the hold. Also, if we do end up having to buy Pelican or another hard case for camera equipment, then I suppose we will be charged for an extra bag--could be $100 or more!

3 people like this

I wanted to purchase our flights today, before prices go up more than they have this week. Unfortunately, the daughter of my friend doesn't have her passport yet so we will have to wait a couple of weeks. In the meantime, hopefully other carriers will offer camera services.

I am not affected by this given the route I am taken but if I was and I was taking a SLR I would try to find out if the airline will accept the lens as hand carry and the camera body as checked.

start at the airlines home page then try an email

since Australia is not doing this , if you put in cameras and airport security , all you get is general on airport CCTV

Emirates understand customer service!

1 person likes this

It's going to be very interesting to see how this all unfolds.

Emirates sounds like it is doing the best it can with this "valet service" approach for laptops and tablets, but it's very questionable to me as to whether that would work for camera equipment -- if that service were even offered. In fact, I find it odd that there is so little dialogue elsewhere that I can find as to the effect of the U.S. ban on the transport of camera lenses. I guess everyone is still bewildered by it all.

I'm starting to feel like I really do live in a far-off bubble. Friends tell me not to worry about it -- that if I can't take my camera equipment, I can still take photos of the gorillas with my i-Phone. Obviously, they are not into nature photography like I am. I almost became physically violent in my frustration with their flippancy in making that comment!

I've dreamed of this trip to Rwanda for a number of years, and I've got a lot riding on it, both financially and emotionally.

Do I purchase one-way return tickets now on a route that, for the time being, is unaffected by the ban? It's an expensive proposition, adding about 20% to the cost of my trip (but still a fraction of the replacement value of my camera equipment). If I go forward with that, I risk there being some workable solution achieved before we leave, making the purchase a complete waste. On the other hand, I also risk that the ban will be expanded, and that I will then have two sets of worthless tickets.

If I wait, I then risk there being no acceptable solution reached and that ticket prices will be even higher -- or that they will be unavailable altogether -- by the time I decide to act.

I'm leaning heavily in favor of alternative one-way return tickets, but it's definitely keeping me up at nights.

1 person likes this

@@Alexander33 - ring up the Emirates 800 number yet? I'm sure they'd give you the upto date information.

I'm at the moment looking to invest in a Pelican Case - although, the electronics ban does not affect me from India ........ this might become the norm eventually around the world, like the liquid ban!

@@madaboutcheetah

We're actually booked on Qatar -- but no, not yet. I'm waiting to sort through all my thoughts on this -- and that includes unpredictable security agents the airline has no control over.

The Pelican case option is something I will investigate this weekend. Yikes, though.

Emirates' tweet yesterday about this had many people asking about cameras. The only response was "any electronics larger than a mobile phone must go in checked luggage" which then of course tripped a whole level of chaos and anger over the mixed messages. I think it's still too fluid and up in the air for anyone to know exactly how it will play out and if/when it'll be expanded.

One thing I haven't seen explicitly is are you ok taking electronics into the main cabin from the US to any of these effected countries? The ban is only into the US or UK?

@@Alexander33, if you're looking for votes, I'd book a one way home on another airline to preserve your sanity. But I think I'd call Qatar first and see what they're advising, maybe they'll let you cancel full stop, so know your other options before you do. And call your trip insurance company to see if they can do anything to help.

Yes, my head would explode if anyone told me I could get by with my iPhone camera. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@@amybatt

Department of Homeland Security's website states that the U.S. ban only applies to direct U.S.-bound flights departing the affected airports, and that flights departing the U.S. to those airports are not affected.

"There is no impact on domestic flights or flights departing the United States. Electronic devices will still continue to be allowed on all flights originating in the United States."

And on their Q&A:

"Q28: Will this apply to flights departure (sic) to affected countries?

A28: No. At this time, evaluated intelligence says that the threat exists at the 10 last point of departure airports."

I will try to post the links.

Other releases I've seen have stated the current position more clearly (and without typographical errors). I'll try to dig those up, too.

Edit: Here are the links. (Hope this works, as I'm using my (banned) I-Pad and can't cut-and-paste to this.

www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21/fact-sheet-aviation-security-enhancements-select-last-point-departure-airports

www.dhs.gov/news/2017/03/21-qa-aviation-security-enhancements-select-last-point-departure-airports-commercial

Edited by Alexander33
1 person likes this

From what I've read cameras are included in the US ban but not in the UK one (yet). Go figure....

2 people like this

@@Alexander33 how soon is your Rwanda trip? If it were me in this position, I'd be trying to see if I could cancel the Qatar trip for even a partial refund, and rebook through an alternate airline. You could take KLM through Amsterdam. The camera issue is of course the main one...but I'd also be a wee bit (or, to be honest) more than a wee bit anxious about flying through the Mid-east with this terror alert in effect.

A decent-sized Pelican case is $200-$300 dollars so you can deduct that from your losses :)

Meantime SAA just dropped its price for my Zambia route by almost $500 so I'm about ready to go for that. Don't know if that price drop has anything at all to do with this though!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

For those flying Emirates from the USA - the ban is only on direct flights to the US from Dubai ........ You can still carry on all electronics as usual via Milan to JFK / or/ via Athens to EWR.

PS - unfortunately, the valet service does not cover Camera equipment ....... Right now, only laptops/ iPads. I just got clarification from a customer service agent of EK.

Edited by madaboutcheetah
2 people like this

@@janzin

Our trip is in July. The funny thing is that our Qatar fare was so incredibly reasonable that itt appears it will actually be cheaper to stick with them outbound and just buy a one-way return ticket rather than to pay the cancellation penalties to which our tickets are subject and start all over. In the end, we'd pay only a little more than we would have if I had gone the KLM/Delta route originally -- which was not cheap and had bad connections for us.

I think I'm close to a solution -- that is, so long as the current ban does not expand or otherwise change. If the ban expands, then this may be a gamble I lose, but then many more of us will be in the same pickle -- and rushing out to buy Pelican cases.

1 person likes this

@@Alexander33 have you approached Qatar and asked if they can change your flights? BA are allowing free changes (in additional to their usual Ts + Cs) for anyone affected by this. Given that the middle east airlines have way better customer service than in the UK, I'd be surprised if they were not doing something similar.

1 person likes this

I believe that shipping your camera gear (I buy and have sold camera gear internationally so it's not as frightenig as it sounds) to your ground operator in your destination country or to be collected from the airport office of an international shipping company would be an option, although bloody inconvenient, and whether the savings would be sufficient to cover potential taxes (worst case in Thailand is 7% VAT but you could be looking at a lot more in Africa) is debatable.

@@pault - I have been told that shipping items to Kenya (for example) is a nightmare. The customs staff open your package, look up the item's value on the Internet, and then require a tax from the entity you ship to. The tax would be very high for things like camera gear. And I have heard that delays are lengthy and sometimes items never show up.

From the way things are starting to sound, returning from Dubai to the USA would require you to put your camera and lens in checked baggage, have the checked baggage shrink-wrapped and hope for the best. I just can't do that - or add a leg in Europe to such a lengthy trip already. So unless things change I guess I won't be flying Emirates to E. Africa or southern Africa any more. That's a big shame, as Emirates has the best price and better amenities, legroom, etc.

1 person likes this

For those flying Emirates from the USA - the ban is only on direct flights to the US from Dubai ........ You can still carry on all electronics as usual via Milan to JFK / or/ via Athens to EWR.

PS - unfortunately, the valet service does not cover Camera equipment ....... Right now, only laptops/ iPads. I just got clarification from a customer service agent of EK.

If flying from the US East coast, Emirates is the best option of the ME3 carriers as on the way back being routed through Milan or Athens should be a no cost option.

Emirates and a Turkish introduce laptop and other small electronics handling service. I think it's inevitable depending upon customer requests cameras should be added to this service which essentially takes care of this problem.

Details here:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/03/24/turkish-airlines-electronics-ban/

1 person likes this

@@offshorebirder You wouldn't need to ship stuff to Kenya- it's just the return trip that seems to be the problem and I'm with you- never would I put my camera in my checked luggage and my guess is your camera equipment is way better than mine. :) @@AKR1 I thought the Jordanian response was pretty funny- I saw it yesterday. But then, I love good sarcasm. It was good to see that Turkish Airlines clearly talked about cameras being part of the special handling whereas I only see laptops and tablets mentioned elsewhere. @@amybatt Maybe that would work for you and the Zambia trip?

2 people like this

Excellent! Turkish sounds like it's considered the cameras. That alone is a game-changer in my eye.

Yes, @Imonmm I'm checking Turkish now to see if the flights are still available with FF miles before I torment the very nice safari planner guy again....

1 person likes this

@@Tdgraves

I have not spoken to Qatar representatives about fee waivers for reroute changes, although CNN is reporting that all of the affected Middle Eastern airlines are resolute that change fees still apply.

The main reason I haven't contacted Qatar for our case specifically is that, even if they did waive change fees, when I look at route alternatives from Doha (and conservatively factoring in an assumption that the ban could very well expand and include western Europe by the date of our departure in July -- not an unreasonable precaution, in my mind), our options to get home directly from other locations to which Qatar flies and that would seemingly remain unaffected become quite limited -- basically, São Paulo, Hong Kong, Beijing, Seoul, and Tokyo. Not exactly what I signed up for!

Travel insurance companies, like Allianz Global, are also confirming that reroute costs incurred under these circumstances would not be covered under travel insurance policies.

Everyone is referring to this as the "laptop ban," and I so wish that's all it was for those of us in the U.S. Perhaps the coming week will yield more information and clarity.

1 person likes this