lmonmm

No electronics on certain flights

215 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry- can't seem to cut and paste, but an interesting article popped up on CNN Money today- starting tomorrow, certain direct flights to the US from some Middle Eastern countries and certain African countries will not allow any electronics on the planes (in the cabin- they must be in checked baggage) other than a phone. No tablets, e-reader, DVD players, etc are allowed in the cabin. Didn't list which countries. Just wanted to give a heads up. Supposedly this is for a short duration, but who the heck knows as it's officially the loony toons here in the US. And all I kept thinking was that airlines who do long hauls are starting to do away with the back-of-seat screen since everyone brings their own electronics. Ugh- can you imagine a long flight with no distractions? :(

Edited by lmonmm

Posted (edited)

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/20/news/companies/middle-east-airline-electronics-ban/index.html?iid=hp-stack-dom

Looks as though it's related to less than stringent screening.

When we flew from Lima to LAX last summer, we had to go through a second intensive screening before boarding... no liquids purchased at the airport could go on the flight.

Edited by AmyT

@AmyT Could be, but to insist that someone's laptop or tablet be checked...eek....and in checked baggage...having had something stolen out of my bag in Joburg, I never put anything of value in my checked baggage anymore. Anyway- just wanted to give folks a heads up.

1 person likes this

This includes Emirates flights to the US too!!!! UGGGGGHHHHHH

1 person likes this

Just read another article this morning and it said cameras as well would not be allowed. From my dead cold fingers they'd have to pry my camera in order to put it in checked luggage. :angry: This kind of thing would absolutely determine which route I'd fly. I have no plans to go anywhere this year, but what a horror show.

2 people like this

And no CAMERAS! I am so glad I did not book Emirates for my Zambia trip! I would actually have to try to cancel it. I was still considering Emirates but now there is no chance. From what I read, the ban has no specific end date (and even if it did--who's to say it won't be reinstated at some future time?) It will be South African Airways for me, even if more expensive.

And what about all those lithium batteries which are not allowed in checked luggage? Will folks have to take the batteries out and carry them on (also not technically allowed, if not protected or in a device.) Not to mention the theft issue.

This is definitely going to cause chaos...

3 people like this

@@janzin and others - I have a sneaky feeling that this has more to do with business and competition from those three big airlines and less about security ......... Right now, Emirates is king of the Hill .......

4 people like this

I flew Royal brunei to Borneo via dubai and brunei and there were signs everywhere banning the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. But thus new move will cause mayhem!

I flew Royal brunei to Borneo via dubai and brunei and there were signs everywhere banning the Samsung Galaxy Note 7. But thus new move will cause mayhem!

I was in the process of scoping out a Zambia trip for the fall. This likely will change that.

I don't think this has anything to do about business competition as much as it does the person who is now our president making uninformed, ridiculous decisions.

4 people like this

@@amybatt you can still easily fly to Zambia on SAA via Joburg. Why change your plans?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

and now it looks like the UK is following suit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971

(oops I see this was already posted...can't delete.)

Edited by janzin

@@janzin I was only able to find a flight to Lusaka using miles on Turkish. This was sort of last minute (for me) and part of what made it possible was using FF miles. Alas...

1 person likes this

What i hear is that cameras would also not be allowed. i also hear that it is a ploy by the US based airlines who are seeing their market share getting eroded by Emirates, Qatar and Etihad.

So it is back to our old seafaring ways now? Yo..Yo..Yo.....and a bottle of rum.

@@janzin I was only able to find a flight to Lusaka using miles on Turkish. This was sort of last minute (for me) and part of what made it possible was using FF miles. Alas...

ahh ok now that makes sense. :(

2 people like this

The U.K. ban is departing country based not airline based it would seem. More U.K. airlines are affected than international ones and Etihad, Qatar and Emirates are not on the list so anyone transiting from the U.K. to Africa via the UAE shouldn't be affected.

@@janzin Definitely a distinct possibility. And while the UK ban doesn't specifically mention cameras, I'd be hard pushed to find one that fit the dimensions of 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep mentioned in the BBC Article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39343971

Regarding cameras, the wording goes "electric and electronic devices". I would not be that afraid of putting the body in the checked luggage; lenses are a different story altogether!

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Regarding cameras, the wording goes "electric and electronic devices". I would not be that afraid of putting the body in the checked luggage; lenses are a different story altogether!

@@xelas although the lenses don't do much good if the body is stolen. :( Besides, just try explaining that lenses aren't electronic to the security officer. And actually most lenses today have electronic components (image stabilization, etc.)

Edited by janzin
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I am quite sure that they will not go that far, otherwise people will stop using those flights! As for the electronics, also watches are banned??

And with all the bounty in those luggages (think laptops, tablets, etc etc) maybe cameras will not be that interesting?! And, it is easier to buy any kind of body then to buy a decent lens. And we all know that the lens is who makes the difference.

Edited by xelas
1 person likes this

@@xelas

In my experience if you are a Pentax user and your DSLR body gets stolen you are up poo creek without a paddle, because you have zero chance of finding a shop that sells Pentax DSLRs... the flip side of course is that only a rare camera connoisseur would steal a Pentax!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Oddly, the UK has no restrictions for Emirates and Etihad flights .........

I envision a climb in sales for Pelican cases????

Edited by madaboutcheetah