Peter's Big Year 2017

PeterHG

Funny, my brother is the best Pearl Spotted mimic in history, and we have never noticed them coming to his call, or him being mobbed by any of the above. Although, he used to call only at night...

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

Although, he used to call only at night...

They probably came but you just could not see them in the dark.:lol:

Next time do it in daylight. The photography is better for a start.

We had to stop on occasion as the mobbers were in need of trauma counselling.

On 12/5/2017 at 3:59 PM, Galana said:

Happy to help where I can. Sorry I missed it when posted and only picked it up on your Kruger report.

You will get a Pearl spotted next time. They come when whistled. fwee-Fwee-FWEE rising in pitch and volume. the bonus is that while calling and waiting for him/her to arrive you will get mobbed by every Apalis, Sunbird, Batis and Warbler so keep that camera handy.

Thanks for the tip, @Galana. I'll certainly give that a try next time.

Nothing new in this post, but  a few doubles just because the snowy conditions make for a different kind of photo. With the snow of the meadows acting like a giant reflection screen the flying birds get more light under the wings than usually and I do like the effect.

Greylag Geese

7D2_7031-X2.jpg

A juvenile Black-headed Gull

7D2_7036-X2.jpg

And a great Egret. The lighting makes it look almost transparent against the misty skies. As the sun had gone by then, some blue appeared in the whites. I converted it to B&W, except for the colours of the bill

7D2_7152-X2.jpg

Very atmospheric photos, @PeterHG. Nice Great Egret ... which is a black@white bird even in colours :D.

333. Burchell's Coucal. Kruger NP, November. One I had forgotten to post. I noticed the links to quite a few photos I previously posted in this thread no longer seem to work. The photos have also mysteriously disappeared from my online Smugmug collection. I'm sorry about that, but since the posts are too old I can't edit them to put that right...

7D2_6131-X2.jpg

334. Greylag Goose, Arkemheen, Netherlands Dec 2017. Our most common goose, but not yet included in the count... I posted these three before in the little snow photo set.

7D2_7027-X2.jpg

335. Greater White-fronted Goose. Arkemheen, Netherlands, Dec 2017. They have now arrived in large numbers.

7D2_6952-X2.jpg

Dave Williams

Love the Greylags! 

Ok, time to do a final check and clean-up. When going through my Big Year spreadsheet and comparing this to my sightings list, I noticed I had skipped several species. Partly because they were so common that I had ignored all photo opportunities (e.g. Wood Pigeon ;)), partly because I had forgotten to include their photo. Time to rectify this, although it will not get me anywhere near the dazzling totals of @michael-ibk or @Galana, but it will at least set me a harder goal for 2018. Otherwise I couldn't justify the extra trips I'll have to plan...:P

Ok, the first one I forgot to include was from the last Kruger trip:

336. Arrow-marked Babbler, Kruger NP, November

7D2_6337-XL.jpg

337. Great Cormorant. Arkemheen, October.  

7D2_3429-X2.jpg

338. Great Black-backed Gull

7D2_8312-XL.jpg

339. Common Shelduck. Texel, June.

7D2_1075-XL.jpg

7D2_9063-XL.jpg

340. European Golden Plover

7D2_2633-XL.jpg

341. Garganey. Arkemheen, April.

7D2_7911-XL.jpg

342. Tufted Duck. Arkemheen, March

7D2_7550-XL.jpg

343. Whinchat, Flevoland, May. The only one I saw this year

7D2_8742-L.jpg

344. Canada Goose. Amersfoort, May

7D2_8418-XL.jpg

345. House Martin, Arkemheen, May. 

7D2_8541-XL.jpg

346. Sand Marti., Arkemheen, May

7D2_8562-L.jpg

347. Smew.  Arkemheen, January. A long way off.  I might get the change for a better shot before the year is over, but I haven't spotted any yet.

7D2_8281-L.jpg

Dave Williams

Breathing down @Tdgraves , @xelasand my neck! Excellent shots. I think I am going to have to plan my attack better next year!

Edited by Dave Williams

Well that looks rather close to 350, but I doubt whether I'l get three more. Of course the Wood Pigeon is doable, so I'll try for that one, but I can't really see any other likely targets. I'm quite happy with the total number anyway. I saw 483 species this year, which for me is an all-time record. Trips to SA and the Kgalagadi, Hungary, Austria and the recent Kruger outing have given me lots of pleasure and satisfaction. Having photographed 347  is a good result for me and I've enjoyed taking them. Even the EBCs....I've also enjoyed just looking at them :D

Edited by PeterHG

Dave Williams
5 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Breathing down @Tdgraves , @xelasand my neck! Excellent shots. I think I am going to have to plan my attack better next year!

Apologies to @lmSA84 who has already clocked up 351. Looks like the Bronze Medal is being tightly contested. It's a matter of pride that the tortoise beats the hare and hangs on to that lead of just 1!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well the year is not over yet... I went out today in search of a Long-tailed Duck that was reported not too far away. I didn't get to see it, but I did spot another addition for this year. And not a bad one either; it's been some time since I last saw this Grebe.

348. Slavonian Grebe.  Utrecht, Netherlands, December 29

7D2_7297-X2.jpg

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

Well the year is not over yet...

Micheal Schumacher won so many titles because he never stopped racing until passed the finish line.

Keep them coming. There are still 56 hours to go!

Dave Williams

Lovely Grebe shot Peter. Hope you get 2 more for the 350....... but that will do!!

• 2 weeks later...

@PeterHG - congratulations on a fantastic BY. Your photograph of the Common Kingfisher is for me the best posted all year 

Thanks @lmSA84 ! It’s always such a special bird to see. Let’s hope there will be another opportunity i  2018!