Peter's Big Year 2017

PeterHG

After Hungary, off we went to the Seewinkel area in eastern Austria. The next batch were all taken there between the 11th and 15th of June.

269. Song Thrush. 

7D2_0686-XL.jpg

270. Yellowhammer. The only chance I got of a shot. Two approaching cyclist, who saw me pointing my 400mm from the car window, never considering stopping for a few seconds and chased the bird off before I was able to get a decent head-turn. 

7D2_0714-XL.jpg

Thanks to the detailed instructions @michael-ibk provided us with (look at his beautiful collection in the Big Year thread), we had no trouble finding the Bee-eater colony in the area and could admire their beauty.

271. European Bee-eater

7D2_0851-XL.jpg

7D2_0763-XL.jpg

7D2_0796-XL.jpg

7D2_0865-XL.jpg

7D2_0945-XL.jpg

7D2_0798-edit-XL.jpg

michael-ibk

Glad I could be of help - beautiful pictures!

Peter Connan

Magnificent bee-eater sequence Peter!

More beautiful photos and more BIF! 

272. Hobby. Only one seen on the trip.

7D2_1062-L.jpg

273. Wryneck. We heard it a lot, but only saw it a few times. Some German birdwatchers were trying to lure the Wryneck closer by playing its call. Although they kept it up for too long in my view, it did present some photo opportunities.

7D2_1207-XL.jpg

274. Serin. Its unmistakable song often alerted us to its presence.

7D2_1258-L.jpg

275. Eurasian Collared Dove. Well, I do hope to get a better shot this year, but better safe than sorry...

7D2_1292-L.jpg

276. Black Redstart. Frequent visitor to the garden in Illmitz

7D2_1430-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

277. Barred Warbler. It too some patience to find one and even more to get a picture, because they remain hidden in the bushes most of the time and move around all the time. 

This juvenile finally allowed a quick shot

7D2_1490-XL.jpg

The adult was another matter

7D2_1512-L.jpg

michael-ibk

Oh wow the Barred Warbler! Really jealous, always wanted to find one but have failed so far - where was that?

15 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Oh wow the Barred Warbler! Really jealous, always wanted to find one but have failed so far - where was that?

Opposite the entrance to the Warmblutkoppel hide there is a cycling track starting at the parking place (I think in the direction of Sandegg). After about 100/150 metres there are some dense bushes on both sides of the track. I heard it singing there and spent some time waiting for the birds to show. Which they did...

After our stay in the Neusiedlersee area we drove to Ljubljana to meet up with @xelas and Zvezda. We spent two wonderful days with them, visiting several interesting places in Slovenia. Thank you both again for your hospitality! One place we visited was the škocjanski zatok reserve near the coast. In spite of the industrial surroundings it is a little gem with many wetland species. One of them was:

278. Little Tern

7D2_1559-XL.jpg

279. Short-toed Eagle. An unexpected sighting in this habitat, but proving its own id with the snake dangling form its beak. We were quite excited to have spotted this raptor!

7D2_1688-L.jpg

7D2_1705-L.jpg

280. Little Ringed Plover. Only one present, with the yellow eye-ring, distinguishing it from its cousin, the ringed plover.

7D2_1617-L.jpg

281. Little Egret. We saw quite a few egrets and herons there, like Squacco Heron, Great Egret and Little Bittern, but this is the only one I have not posted before.

7D2_1607-XL.jpg

282. Hooded Crow. Although common, surprisingly difficult to take a picture of.

7D2_1725-XL.jpg

On the 18th of June we made a trip through the stunning Julian Alps. We met up with @Zim Girl and husband and the six of us spent an excellent day seeing all the beautiful spots and views in the mountains. How wonderful it is to meet other Safari talk members, exchanging stories and tips, doing some birding and just having a great time together! At the Vršič pass:

283. Alpine Chough 

7D2_1838-X2.jpg

7D2_1868-X2.jpg

And, of course, som BIF shots just for you, @xelas ;)

7D2_1873-X2.jpg

7D2_1888-X2.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

It was a pleasure to host you two, @PeterHG , and birding is that much more interesting in a company of an experienced birder! Anytime you fell like coming back, you know the address :)!

Ah, BIF, thanks for those too. BIF will be on our menu ... after buying D500 :D!

Peter Connan

Magnificent shots again Peter!

We had a great day out with @PeterHG and his wife and @xelas and Zvezda.

Nice shots of the Alpine Chough, especially the bifs.

Dave Williams

Great collection added to the gallery. I'd assumed everything I saw in Bulgaria was a Yellow Legged Gull too.... should have taken a closer look perhaps!

• 4 weeks later...

284. Common (Mew) Gull, Eemnes July 27th. Yes! I caught another one for the thread today. Ok, not the most exciting one and I've seen it before this year (many times...) but it's an easy one to overlook when taking photos. ;)

7D2_2422-X2.jpg