Peter's Big Year 2017

PeterHG

213. Gadwall, Nijkerk 4th May. Not the most spectacular of ducks but their fine feather pattern makes them look special anyway. Quite common in the wetland areas here.

7D2_8240-XL.jpg

214. Common Redshank. Nijkerk 4th May. Unlike the Godwit they are still doing quite well.

7D2_8241-XL.jpg

215. Northern Lapwing. Nijkerk, 4th May. Ok, this little one is our hope for the future..

7D2_8286-XL.jpg

216. Eurasian Sparrowhawk. Ameide 6th May.

7D2_8324-L.jpg

217. Goldfinch. Ameide 6th May. Unlike with some fellow ST members they never visit our garden, so I wouldn't know if they like sunflower hearts here...;)

7D2_8349-XL.jpg

218. White Stork. Ameide 6th May. After being almost extinct in the Netherlands in the seventies, they have made a spectacular come-back over the last decades.

7D2_8370-XL.jpg

219. Common Swift. Nijkerk 8th May. On some evenings they fly low enough for the annual Swift-in-flight challenge.

7D2_8516-XL.jpg

220. Purple Heron. Ameide 9th May. Much rarer than the Grey Heron.

7D2_8604-XL.jpg

Dave Williams

Some stunning flight shots added Peter, especially the little birds! I tried for Bluethroat in display flight and failed quite miserably.

Peter Connan

Some stunning flight shots added Peter, especially the little birds! I tried for Bluethroat in display flight and failed quite miserably.

Couldn't agree more!

Thanks @@Peter Connan, @@Dave Williams! To put things in perspective: for the Bluethroat this was the only keeper I managed to get, all the others were binned. Still, in spite of the less than ideal wing position, I was very happy to at least pull off this one. The 100-400 II zoom proves itself fast enough for these type of shots in combination with the 7DII. And the set-up, even for me, is hand-holdable.

Dave Williams

For the record I was using the same combination when I failed in my efforts !!!! Obviously operator error then.

221. Common Pochard. Ameide 9th May.

7D2_8625-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

222. Black Tern. Ameide 9th May. Uncommon and beautiful marsh tern. Not easy to get a picture of as their flight is unpredictable and often low against a reed background.

7D2_8659-edit-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

223. Common Whitethroat. Zeewolde 10th May. Widespread and often conspicuously singing from the top of bushes.

7D2_8683-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

224. Garden Warbler. Zeewolde 10th May. One of my nemesis birds as far as photography is concerned. I hear it regularly but it seldom allows a decent shot.

7D2_8911-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

225. Willow Warbler. Zeewolde 11th May. Their song seems to be everywhere around you, once Spring has returned.

7D2_8862-edit-XL.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

226. Red-breasted Goose. Zeewolde 11th May. Definitely an EBC shot, but I was happy to find one among the Barnacle Geese.

7D2_8885-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

227. Eurasian Curlew. Lauwersmeer 15th May.

7D2_8940-L.jpg

228. Eurasian Oystercatcher. Lauwersmeer 15th May

7D2_8942-XL.jpg

229. Ruff. Lauwersmeer 15th May. Aren't the males gorgeous this time of year? All but disappeared as a breeding bird, but still migrate in considerable numbers.

7D2_8977-edit-XL.jpg

7D2_9048-XL.jpg

For the record I was using the same combination when I failed in my efforts !!!! Obviously operator error then.

Somehow I just think I got more lucky..... :)

Dave Williams

Very envious of the Ruffs, I'd love to see them looking like that. One day perhaps.

The Black Tern is a cracking shot too.

• 2 weeks later...

230. Pied Avocet. Petten 25th May. Definitely one of the most graceful of our waders. Still quite common in certain areas fortunately.

7D2_9448-XL.jpg

231. Black-tailed Godwit. Lauwersmeer 15th May. Our national bird, whose survival is anything but certain. There is a steady decline in numbers each year and 2106 produced only 4000 chicks, not enough for a sustainable population. Various protection projects have been set up, but until now, with limited succes.

7D2_9113-edit-XL.jpg