Peter's Big Year 2017

PeterHG

Well I'm lagging behind as many fellow-birders have already made an impressive start here, so it's about time I joined. The main reason for the delay is that I have just returned from a rather long stay in South Africa (being retired has its advantages) and that I have a long way to go before all my photographs have been approved or binned. But let's do this chronologically, by showing some shots of the first seven days of the year. I left the country on 8th of January. I'll try and do a trip report later on, but that is a daunting task, as I will have to do it from memory (and a little help from the Dutch blog I wrote on the road). So here we go, all taken from 1-7 January:

1. Hawfinch (Soest, Netherlands). Not at all common, and a long time since I'd seen one, so off to a good start

7D2_8248-L.jpg

Edited by PeterHG

2. Siskin (Soest, Netherlands) Category EBC....

7D2_8252-L.jpg

3. Red Crossbil, (Soest Netherlands) Very much the same category as before, but also one I don't see every year, so happy with the sighting

7D2_8262-L.jpg

4. Goosander, male (Arkemheen, Netherlands). There are still a few around, but not for much longer.

7D2_8293-edit-L.jpg

5. Mute Swan (Arkemheen, Netherlands). Always impressive in flight'

7D2_8319-L.jpg

6. Herring Gull (Arkemheen, Netherlands)

7D2_8339-L.jpg

7. Grey Heron (Arkemheen, Netherlands)

7D2_8343-L.jpg

8. Eurasian Wigeon (Arkemheen, Netherlands)

7D2_8353-L.jpg

9. Black-backed Gull (Amersfoort, Netherlands). Caught flying over a local frozen lake.

7D2_9119-L.jpg

10. Jackdaw (Amersfoort, Netherlands).

7D2_9128-L.jpg

11. Eurasian Coot (Amersfoort, Netherlands). On the same frozen lake.

7D2_9140-L.jpg

12. Lesser Black-backed Gull (Amersfoort, Netherlands). This concludes the photo collection of the first week here.

7D2_9144-XL.jpg

@@PeterHG

Great to see you involved again. Beautiful photos to start us off. I am sure a long trip means a ot of bird photos :)

Peter Connan

A beautiful start Peter!

The next batch were all taken in/near Hermanus, South Africa between 8th and 11th January this year.

13. Black Oystercatcher. A lifer for me and what a beautiful bird!

7D2_8628-L.jpg

7D2_8356-M.jpg

14. Kelp Gull. Very common along the coast, but a lifer for me all the same.

7D2_8377-L.jpg

15. A distant Caspian Gull. The only one of the trip,

7D2_8383-L.jpg

16. Little Swift. Pretty hard to get a shot of,

7D2_8425-L.jpg

17. Cape Robin Chat.

7D2_8528-L.jpg

18. Pin-tailed Whydah. Not a very pretty setting for this beautiful bird, but it was the only chance I got.

7D2_8431-L.jpg

19. European Starling. What a familiar sight in the garden of our SA B&B...

7D2_8565-L.jpg

20, Cape Sugarbird. Another lifer, this spectacular bird

7D2_8575-L.jpg

7D2_8686-L.jpg

@@PeterHG - great to see that you're off to such a strong start. Beautiful images including of some that I missed on my trip - my favourite is the Cape Sugarbird.

@@PeterHG

I agree that the Cape Sugarbird is a beautiful photo (and a beautiful bird), but so is the Starling.

I am not an expert on gulls (I find them very difficult to identify and I know nothing about those found in South Africa!) - but your Caspian Gull looks very tern-like to me.What do you think?

@@PeterHG

I agree that the Cape Sugarbird is a beautiful photo (and a beautiful bird), but so is the Starling.

I am not an expert on gulls (I find them very difficult to identify and I know nothing about those found in South Africa!) - but your Caspian Gull looks very tern-like to me.What do you think?

You are absolutely right! @@TonyQ! I have no idea why I typed Gull.....age probably ;)