See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

OH NO! Not another Kruger Trip Report (Simon & Jane's Excellent Adventure Volume 2)

Kruger Karoo Self-drive

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hello everyone, having spent much of our last trip to South Africa, in 2015, in the cold of a Karoo winter failing to see Aardvarks, for our next trip, in February this year, Jane demanded one thing above all else. Hot weather. We decided on February to also allow us to escape part of the English winter and egged on by several tremendous trip reports on this very forum, and our own knowledge of San Parks very good value accommodation ,we plumped for the Kruger, a new place for us save a three day trip 20 years ago. 9 nights and then a trip to Houts Bay, the Karoo national park and the Overberg.

Although we could have booked everywhere ourselves, we again went with Lawsons, a South African company who we see every year at the British Bird Fair, and who can provide a lot of valuable tips and as much birding knowledge as our poor brains can take in. In fact on this trip they also offered to meet us in Nelspruit and lend us a rigid coolbox, emergency tea and coffee, an industrial sized flask and a whole container of home made rusks! Hurrah for Lawsons!

We then spent an anxious time looking at the San Parks forum and praying for rain to end the terrible drought the Kruger and elsewhere was experiencing.You only have to see the contrast between @Hads fine report and that of @Tdgraves to see what a difference a month makes!

Driving the 4ish hours to the Kruger straight off an overnight flight in ecomomy is not ideal but to us English folk, driving in South Africa is a pleasure. Even a lap around the airport as we couldn't find the exit did not dampen our spirits. In fact a friendly policeman setting up a road block took pity on us and  pointed us in the right direction. We met several road blocks to check vehilces on our trip and at each one we were met with at worst politeness and mostly friendliness.

We asked for a 2 x 4 to have a bit of height and ended up with a toyota Hilux 2 x 4 but with 4x4 capability. It was a fine beast but it was only after we were mildly chased by a Bull Elephant and teased by a curius black rhino that we relaised it might be they were objecting to the number plate

P1010909.JPG

• Atravelynn, PT123, pault and 14 others like this

#2 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

The creature below the car, and along with its siblings poised to jump into the engine compartment, was a young Dwarf mongoose that visited us at our first camp Pretoriuskop. Incidentally about the drive to the Kruger, Lawsons recommended the Schoemanskloof road as an alternative to staying on the N4, a fine scenic drive that refreshed the jaded and tired driving palate.We stopped at a Spar in Nelspruit although having experienced both we remain fans of Pick n Pay.

The tactics each day would be the same.Pick a route based on the map,and not on the sightings board,Get out early armed with the flask, tea frozen liquifruit cartons that turned into slushies, rusks nibbles and water.Oh and emergency crisps and crisp breads butter and cheese. Get back before it got to hot, walk round the camp and out again for a short drive in the afternoon . We always spent longer than we planned, and never had the energy for a walk round the camps..We did try the camp run night or sunset drives, which were variable, but were responsible for 3 splendid sightings and some comedy.

Pretoriuskop was a fine camp, I think the oldest, but like all but one of the camps, very clean, well serviced and perfectly acceptable. Our tips would be, and I am sure @Tdgraves has also said this, is take a small non-stick frying pan as the kitchen wear is builkt on a massive scale, and 2 drying up cloths as the San parks ones were , to a man, more holey than rightous (as my grandparents used to say)

Pretoriuskop was also home to a spendid supply of purple crested Turaco using a small fountain across the green in the middle of the rondavals.

Our first game drive and broad grins on our faces as here we were, in Africa, looking for wildlife. In fact we first saw a small dark mongoose, but just afterwards we came across

9F5A2225 - Copy.jpg

A very fine gentleman indeed, munching away and so we pulled to the side of the road, made sure he had room, turned the engine off and let him wander by. Not without even broader grins and a touch of nervous tingling!

Our holiday had really begun!

• Atravelynn, PT123, pault and 17 others like this

#3 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 PM

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Great start -

"...mildly chased by a Bull Elephant and teased by a curius black rhino" - I can]t wait to read more!

• Towlersonsafari likes this

#4 Hads

Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local time: 05:40 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 14 March 2017 - 12:31 PM

Looking forward to comparing notes @Towlersonsafari - great start.

Edited by Hads, 14 March 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#5 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:39 PM

Pretoriuskop made a fine contrast to the other areas we visited, with wooded areas and granite Koppies, making viewing trickier but well worth it.Here are just a selection of some of the sightings we enjoyed

9F5A2285.jpg    

9F5A2345.jpg    

9F5A2346.jpg     

9F5A2361.jpg    

9F5A2349.jpg      

9F5A2364.jpg                                                                                                

The hyena youngsters were seen on a sunset drive, indeed we saw 2 dens quite close to each other utilizing the drainage culverts by the side of the road. We did go on  a few sunset and  night drives and they were a veritable united nations of folk from all over Europe certainly with a wide range of experience, and indeed interest! The couple who sang "Whim a whey" (The lion sleeps tonight) were amongst our favourites, but they were as interested in the wildlife as we were, and the clear winners were a group of young lads who appeared to speak no English - the bemused expressions on their faces were priceless  as the guide tried to show them the spotlight and how they should operate it until after at least 5 brave and increasingly desperate minutes he gave up and silently handed it to someone else! Out of all the  guided drives though the person I felt most sorry for was the fool who , upon seeing another hyena den so close to the first one, asked the guide if they were the same clan.The guide thought he was asking if they were the same species, and patiently explained that yes they were also spotted hyenas.Oh the shame of it. . I promised myself I would speak louder next time I asked a question but Jane seemed to find it very funny

• pault, Caracal, Zim Girl and 7 others like this

#6 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

And so to Lower Sabie, by a very conva luted route as we had plenty of time before check in. After some distant rhino, and buffalo, Jane yelled "stop". With recations like lightning, well very very slow lightning, I braked too quickly and reversed to seeour first lions of the holiday.Disgusted by my clumsy driving they taunted us by moving off into the long grass and going to sleep just out of sight.Grrr. (that wasn't a lion impression by the way) Still we had seen cats, all was right with the world.In fact we found out later the lions were upset at our disturbing them because they were reading the latest carnivore block buster "Fifty shades of Prey" a sequal to " Lady Chatterley's Plover" (You may know it as Lady Chatterley's Thicknee, an altogether more disturbing book)

9F5A2369.jpg

9F5A2373.jpg

9F5A2380.jpg

9F5A2384.jpg

9F5A2391.jpg

9F5A2400.jpg

9F5A2404.jpg

9F5A2417.jpg

9F5A2421.jpg

P1010925.jpg  

It was a lovely drive, but can anyone tell us what type of tortoise this was? We get such a kick from seeing tortoise in the wild, wondering how on earth they can survive.                                                                

• Atravelynn, PT123, pault and 13 others like this

#7 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  • Local time: 07:40 AM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

@Towlersonsafari Thanks for this meander throgh Kruger!

Pretoriuskop is one of my favourite Kruger camps, I didn't see Purple-crested Turaco but I remember the gentle impala an the naughty vervet monkeys.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#8 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,284 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:21 AM

Reading about Kruger is always fine, and if with the added bonus of some Brit humour, a delicious thing  :) . Would you be so kind and add the camp-by-camp itinerary, as that will allow me (and aybe other Kruger newbies) to follow your route better?!

• Towlersonsafari and Hads like this

#9 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:53 PM

You are very kind @xelas Our itinerary was- Pretoriuskop-2 nights ,Lower Sabie-3 nights, Satara 2 nights and Berg-en-Dal 2 nights. We originally were looking at Orpen instead of Satara but Lawsons strongly advised us-and they were right-not to underestimate the distances and speed of travel. As it was the journey from Satara to Berg-En-dal was a long one. We also wanted to stay in a tent in Lower Sabie-to help with Jane's  anti-spider measures, but again Lawson's pointed out they did not have air-conditioning and we would have melted if we had not followed their advice.(although there are now luxury tents with air conditioning)  although it was the summer we saw or heard no mozzies at all whilst in the kruger, which was a surprise and I don't know if that is usual. We do know that the Kruger was just beautiful with everywhere so green, and not at all crowded. We preferred the gravel roads and these were even quieter. i think we came across 2 small traffic jams, for hyena's and distant lions, and a very polite line of cars looking at very distant leopards otherwise at most there were 3 vehicles at a sighting, usually a convoy of day trippers in safari vehicles. We did come across a line of cars who perhaps had the sighting apps (frowned upon) as they were all searching for a very specific lion sighting, but no bother at all. Lower Sabie and Satara had Mugg & bean restaurants if you fancied a break from cooking-quite reasonable nothing special fare but a nice line in ice cream coffee and quite a few veggie options for Jane.the lower Sabie restaurant overlooks the river and is a fine spot to sit and contemplate the world 

• xelas and hannahcat like this

#10 Hads

Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:01 PM

@Towlersonsafari I think the tortoise in post #6 might be a Speke's hinged tortoise.

I love your ground hornbill piccies too, great work.

It looks like you had your fair share of Hyena's as well. We saw them nearly everyday I think which was nice.

Edited by Hads, 15 March 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#11 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for this trip report @Towlersonsafari.    I am glad to read the info about Lawsons as one day I plan to go on a birding safari in S. Africa. 

Lucky you seeing Purple-crested Turacos!

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#12 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 12:28 PM

Thanks very much for the "likes" everyone, and thank you @Hads for the kind comments and the tortoise Id-having used your pointer it does seem to be a Speke's Hinged tortoise-another first! I do like the idea of having a tortoise named after one-or indeed anything although sadly Mr Speke, an English explorer of Africa, died when crossing a style with his shotgun and shot himself. We did see a lot of hyena's with about 4 dens in total-we loved how vocal they were. Thanks also @offshorebirder Lawsons are I think primarily birding experts-they make allowances for our lack of knowledge-and friendly as well so you would be in good hands. one of the highlights of this trip-coming up soon in very bad pictures-was seeing for the first time Amur falcons and lesser kestrels at what must have been a termite swarm.all of them refusing to perch at the bushes i kept trying to pre-focus on much to Jane's amusement-but what a splendid sight it was. My father, who was a keen birder, had a thing about kestrels-there is a common kestrel engraved on his gravestone-so it was a sentimental sighting as well!

• Peter Connan, offshorebirder, hannahcat and 2 others like this

#13 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

Well we did see a sleeping pride about 12 strong on the way to Lower Sabie but impossible to photograph lying deep in the woods, so we eventually got to LS at about 12.00 noonish ready fro a cool drink and lunch.Alas there was aroutine maintainance power cut so no food no drinks no nuffin.Change of plan and off to Mlondozi dam for an impromptu picnic! We had not appreciated what a good thing the picnic sights were. all that we visited had good loos all had attendnats and some had hops and coffee! Several had very naughty monkeys.

In fact Lower Sabie gave us a few problems.We could not lock the door but maintainace fixed that, the perimeter hut patio looked onto next doors patio so we enjoyed the sight of a largish person in night attire having a fag fist thing in the morning on their patio. . As we were dropping off to sleep a car alarm went off in the distance.We felt very sorry for the owners  as it  did it several times.At three in the morning our car thought it would join in.The confused mixture of panic, sleep,and overwhelming embarresment added to the fun of finding the car keys! Nothing seemed wrong with the car so we settled back down, for at least 20 minutes before it did it again.anger was added to the mix but didnt make us any quicker! we left it unlocked that night.

Still next morning we were nearly  up with the lark and were met with a spooky mist. Wooooo we thought-and now apologies for attempts at arty/spooky pictures........woooooooooo

9F5A2433.jpg

9F5A2447.jpg

9F5A2442.jpg

• Atravelynn, PT123, Caracal and 10 others like this

#14 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:52 PM

The fog lifted eventually.

9F5A2453.jpg

Mr Swainson, he of  the Swainson's Spurfowl, has 17 birds named after him.That seems a trifle greedy.And he never even set foot in Africa.He never saw his own Spurfowl.the best that can be said was that he did not name it after himself (not quite the way to behave) and indeed was the first Governer General of New Zealand.The man not the spurfowl.

9F5A2465.jpg

I tried to convince myself this was an immature Crowned Eagle and not an immature Martial Ealge but I pointed out I just get too excited and an immature Martial Eagle is still a very fine thing

9F5A2473.jpg

We came across quite a few flocks of Wattled Starlings which were great fun to watch

9F5A2480.jpg

And more European Rollers than you could roll a stick at. Named after the Reverend Runcible Roller apparently

This Korhaan was shocked when we told him who was now the US president!

9F5A2483.jpg

To see a ball of dung rolling towards you on the road is a fine thing indeed!

9F5A2488.jpg

9F5A2509.jpg

9F5A2512.jpg

• Atravelynn, PT123, pault and 13 others like this

#15 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:57 AM

@Towlersonsafari thanks for including the stories behind some of the bird names, very interesting.

Reverend Runcible Roller certainly rolls of the tongue!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#16 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 AM

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:55 AM

Fantastic Korhaan photgraph and a nice caption too (obvious, but sometimes simple is best!)

Waiting again... for the next time again

#17 Davesg

Davesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 PM
  • Category 1:Born in Africa

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:39 AM

Thoroughly enjoying your trip report @Towlersonsafari.

​Website: http://stuckinthemud.co.za/ Southern African Travel and Photography

#18 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

Thank you @Davesg  @pault and @Treepol I always aim for simple and obvious! There is a splendid book called "Whose Bird" by Bo Beolens, Michael Watkins (ISBN: 9780300103595)  that is great fun with potted histories of all the people they can find who have birds named after them-mostly it seems to be a case of hoping for  patronage.

#19 Hads

Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 04:56 AM

Giraffe's in the mist - I like it!

#20 Caracal

Caracal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 05:54 AM

@Towlersonsafari - do you know what the Ground Hornbill is dining on in #6 - I can't make it out. Also I believe ground hornbills are becoming quite rare in SA - is that your understanding.

You and @Hads have had me doing some homework on tortoises (I've yet to see a tortoise in Africa) so I googled Speke's Hinged Tortoise and was intrigued with a commentary describing them as " the heartiest and most personable" of the African hinge-backed species.

Pleased to see that the industrious dung beetle was given right of way and I imagine he kept his back to your number plate.

• Hads likes this
"Moments that touch the soul are always short but they echo pleasantly afterwards"
Stephen Pern - Another Land, Another Sea Walking round Lake Rudolph.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.