See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Any updates on Namiri plains road situation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fredweinman

Fredweinman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

There was much talk last year that guests at Namiri plains were limited to the use of just a few roads. Anyone have an update or been to Namiri in the last nine months ? We leave in 8 weeks for Namiri and Umbutu

#2 Hammer_of_the_Gods

Hammer_of_the_Gods

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

I've just returned from Namiri Plains last week. Since I was there at the same time last year they have been allowed by TANAPA to put quite a number of new roads into the areas to the south and east of the camp as well a few around the camp itself. This allows them to get to areas that were - at least officially - not accessible before.

That's the good news - the bad news is they were not allowed to put any roads in across the river by the camp, nor seemingly any new roads plains to the west of the camp (heading towards Seronera). They also now do adhere to the 'no off-roading rule'. Compared to previously that has now severely constrained the number of high quality photographic and wildlife opportunities. It was extremely frustrating watching cheetahs\lions\hyena interactions in glorious sunlight from hundreds of yards away.

That being said I had some great sightings (the lions tend to hang around the koppies where there is good road access to most now) and there are still lots of lions and cheetahs in the area - but it is not the same as it was for the first two years of operation. You also won't come across any other vehicles unless you travel down towards Seronera. Namiri is a great camp with great guides and being in camp at night it was pretty intense due to all the lion and buffalo activity.

I was also at Ubuntu which I thought was a great camp although it will be in the western corridor when you travel. It is still in Serengeti South when I was there and unfortunately TANAPA recently decreed half of the traversing area to be classed as no off-roading about a month before I arrived - which again severely impacted the game viewing and photography.

• pault, AndyH1000 and lmonmm like this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.