Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SSF556

Where are the protestors and the international outrage?

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the big tuskers in Tsavo was poached recently. I have yet to see any protestors or CNN/mainstream media reporting on this tragedy. Can someone explain to me why the same animal rights activists passion displayed against the lion hunter is no where to be seen for this elephant?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poachers-kill-rare-giant-elephant-kenya-152539665.html

Edited by SSF556
2 people like this

I agree @@SSF556, I thought the same thing when I read that update yesterday. Little consolation though that the poachers didn't have time to retrieve his tusks for the ivory trade.

The other question I have is why it took Tsavo Trust over 2 months to report this. Apparently he was killed in early January? And I worry too about Tsavo generally, as this is where the Sheldricks elephants generally get rereleased. Are we just putting them back into a firestorm?

4 people like this

If it isn't a rhetorical question then I would say it is because (I) the perpetrators were not from the same cultural background as those who might have made it a celebrated cause (ii) elephants are not as sexy as lions (iii) everybody except criminals already agrees this is a really bad thing

This elephant wasn't as well known as certain lions either..

And personally I know there is bad poaching in Tsavo at the moment due to the influx of cattle. At least two rhinos and a number of elephants. Not that I go for online outrage anyway.

And where was the outcry when that well known big tucker was (legally) shot by a hunter in Zimbabwe? That might be a better comparison but it would pose a different question.

I like the question though - people should definitely ask such questions - as long as it inspires them to do something positive and not just sink into do- nothing despair and resignation.

If it isn't a rhetorical question then I would say it is because (I) the perpetrators were not from the same cultural background as those who might have made it a celebrated cause (ii) elephants are not as sexy as lions (iii) everybody except criminals already agrees this is a really bad thing

This elephant wasn't as well known as certain lions either..

And personally I know there is bad poaching in Tsavo at the moment due to the influx of cattle. At least two rhinos and a number of elephants. Not that I go for online outrage anyway.

And where was the outcry when that well known big tucker was (legally) shot by a hunter in Zimbabwe? That might be a better comparison but it would pose a different question.

I like the question though - people should definitely ask such questions - as long as it inspires them to do something positive and not just sink into do- nothing despair and resignation.

I honestly believe that the people who protested Cecil are doing it out of hatred towards the hunter more so than a passion towards the animal....does that make sense?

1 person likes this

@SSF 556 It makes sense as an opinion, of course. But it would be a misguided opinion if you really think that all people who commented negatively on the shooting of Cecil had similar motivation. That is surely just as hyperbolic as saying stuff like "no hunter cares about conservation"? Personally I think you have to examine each person's motivation separately as far as practical, and use generalisation carefully. There is a saying in the UK, taken from soccer "Play the ball, not the man." It's advice for ethical and productive discourse. I like that advice, even if it's very difficult to follow.

3 people like this

• There is concern for elephants

the number of people who closely follow the news and individual cases would be smaller

hunting is not well understood, many people strongly dislike it

the lion situation is not that well known , the case of Cecil brought out issues to many people who were unaware of them

2 people like this

I wonder too how much of it is "rich American dentist pays to kill lion for fun" vs. "just another poaching incident by a faceless perpetrator". One feels dirtier than the other to some.

2 people like this