See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Tristan Voorspuy, founder of Offbeat Safaris reported shot dead in Kenya.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ex-British army officer Tristan Voorspuy shot dead in Kenya reports www.news.sky.com

Family friends have confirmed that Tristan Voorspuy, a former British army officer, has been found shot dead on a ranch in northern Kenya.

Once a tourist paradise and one of the two most important conservation areas in Kenya, the northern region of Laikipia has been a tribal battleground for months.

To read the full report click here.

I am carrying this topic across from that in which it was originally discussed here with thanks to @Soukous for the prompt.

Matt.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#2 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:03 PM

A little about Tristan Voorspuy from the Offbeat Safaris website, www.offbeatsafaris.com

Tristan Voorspuy - Owner & founder of Offbeat Safaris Ltd

Tristan was born in South Africa but schooled and raised in Sussex, England.   He spent a brief period at Agricultural College before joining the British Army in 1975 for a three year Short Service Commission which he extended for another three years. A total of six years in the army including a two year stint as a ceremonial mounted cavalry officer inspired a wanderlust and return to Africa.   After leaving the army in 1981 he drove a motorbike from London to Cape Town for nine months, looking for work  opportunities in Africa. Having heard of mounted safaris pioneered by Tony Church in Kenya, he applied for a job and spent six years guiding with Tony before beginning Offbeat Safaris in 1990.

To read more, click here.

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#3 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,462 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

@Safaridude and myself stayed at Sosian Lodge and you can read about our experiences in this trip report.

Also, I conducted an interview with @Offbeat Safaris about Sosian Lodge, its history and conservation aims here.

Thanks, Matt.

• optig likes this

#4 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

What horrible news...confirmed in an email from Offbeat this morning...unfortunately things are really bad in Lapikia...wow how things are changed since we were there in June 2016.

Dear 

We write with the tragic news of Tristan Voorspuy's death yesterday at Sosian. 

With the ongoing unrest in Laikipia three of the Sosian shareholders houses were burnt down.  Tristan rode out on his horse to inspect one of the burnt houses and was caught in an ambush.

Sosian shall be suspending all tourism activities until the end of April and the Offbeat Safaris head office will re-organise all affected bookings, fully re-funding the accommodation.  Please contact bookings@offbeatsafaris.com for any questions.

All riding safaris shall continue as planned and we will organise our team of riding safari guides to step in.  Please contact Piers on piers@offbeatsafaris.com for any questions.

Tristan will be very sadly missed.  He was a true legend and died for what he loved and believed in.

Best wishes from all at Offbeat Safaris

Edited by SSF556, 06 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#5 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

so much for those who claim it's still save to go there - I mean, if a formal soldier living locally for years can get shot, sure as hell tourists can get caught as well

Edited by ice, 06 March 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#6 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

http://home.bt.com/n...-11364162264351

http://www.the-star....picked_c1519162

Edited by ice, 06 March 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#7 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 PM

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:20 PM

so much for those who claim it's still save to go there - I mean, if a local can get shot, sure as hell tourists can get caught as well

It is a dangerous place to be....

http://www.the-star....picked_c1519162

Article about houses burned...

http://www.the-star....y-foul_c1518205

Edited by SSF556, 06 March 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#8 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,183 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

@ice there already is a thread on the issue in general - link in Game Warden's post.it is very informative. I think this one is intended specifically for Mr Voorspuy.

Edit: Not blaming you!! That may not have been obvious - you'll see what I mean when you read the other thread.

Edited by pault, 07 March 2017 - 01:12 AM.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#9 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 AM

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:38 AM

Oh dear, I am so sorry.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#10 ice

ice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:00 AM

@pault

I have been following the other thread as well; in fact I am off to Kenya in about four weeks time. My daughter and I will climb Mount Kenya so we will at least pass through the area.

Edited by ice, 07 March 2017 - 05:01 AM.

• pault likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.