See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Four Exciting New Hunting Destinations in Africa

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident
  • Category 2:---

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:06 AM

I just learned that Ghana,Burkina Faso,Liberia and Benin allow commercial hunting. It's particularly unfortunate that Benin allows lion hunting. It's an old story isn't it? Are lion populations large enough to allow big game hunting. Again there are so many species which are so rare that they're virtually unknown which hunters are shooting? I really wish that these countries could somehow develop tourism as an alternative to hunting. I do know that Mole in Ghana and Pendjari in Benin are decent national parks for tourists. 

http://huntingconsor...m/destinations/

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,899 posts
  • Local time: 07:57 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

@optig

The hunting blocks surrounding Pendjari are visited by 70 hunters per year, and provide for 50% of the current budget of Pendjari. In essence, there would be no national park without the hunting blocks.

There was already a thread here on ST discussing lion hunting in Benin. I recall that the quota was very low, and even then the success rate of those lion hunts was not great (I mean that apparently coming back with a lion trophy is quite difficult)
  • ZaminOz, optig and wenchy like this

#3 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:28 AM

@Paolo thanks again for your kind information. I stand corrected. 

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.