Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

Why is cheetah hunting still allowed in Namibia and Zimbabwe?

4 posts in this topic

www.namibiahuntingsafaris.com/hunting-namibia/hunting-cheetah/

In the light of the fact that cheetah populations have fallen so low in Africa it's simply unconscionable that cheetah hunting is still continuing.

Despite the enormous political power of the Dallas Safari Club and Safari Club International the United States as well as many European

countries no longer allows the import of cheetah trophies. So why do Canada, Spain and France? These are countries which if there was

any logic simply wouldn't permit it. It's particularly abhorrent that female cheetah kills are licensed. I'll write more later on the subject.

1 person likes this

On 3/2/2017 at 6:39 PM, optig said:

In the light of the fact that cheetah populations have fallen so low in Africa it's simply unconscionable that cheetah hunting is still continuing.

Despite the enormous political power of the Dallas Safari Club and Safari Club International the United States as well as many European

countries no longer allows the import of cheetah trophies. So why do Canada, Spain and France? These are countries which if there was

any logic simply wouldn't permit it. It's particularly abhorrent that female cheetah kills are licensed. I'll write more later on the subject.

~ @optig

Aieeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If this is indeed the case, it's appalling. Female cheetah kills seem unconscionable given the population decline.

After joining Safaritalk my dismally low conservation awareness has increased, thanks to the ardor and vigilance of many members.

With regard to cheetahs, @madaboutcheetah and @bettel have been staunch advocates.

This is unsettling to read. Those of us who've been fortunate enough to spend hours with cheetahs and their cubs know firsthand what a precarious life they lead.

Thank you for bringing this disturbing news to our attention.

Tom K.

@Tom Kellie  I'm sorry to say it that if the PHs and game ranchers had any interest in conservation they wouldn;t permit it. The fact is that unfortunately despite all their protests to their contrary they could care less!! I even had PHs tell me that they hope that with Trump elected President that the USFWS was going to allow the import of cheetah trophies. Well thankfully  it hasn't happened and it won't. 

Namibia also has a serious problem in that all animals which are judged to be "problem" animals can be hunted and don't fall into the quotas. This loophole has caused the unnecessary shooting not only of cheetahs,but also other numerous lions and leopards.

~ @optig

Thank you for taking time to reply.

I wasn't aware that Namibia had such lax interpretation of what constituted “problem” animals.

If that's indeed the case, it's a sad situation.

What is especially unsettling about all this is the notion of hunting female cheetahs.

Very big sigh...

Tom K.