ID please

Soukous

I need some help to ID this one.

shot in Klein Karoo, South Africa

post-43899-0-59847400-1488284106_thumb.jpg

COSMIC RHINO

great photo whoever it is

I am not a birder

I don't think it is an ant eating chat @@Tdgraves the plumage looks too mottled.

I was thinking it was changing from juvenile to adult plumage.

Why don't you post it on the sanparks forum bird ID page? Lots of south african birders there.....

Peter Connan

My guess:

www.warwicktarboton.co.zapgs/612DrRoj.html/bird

Just not sure of distribution.

My guess:

www.warwicktarboton.co.zapgs/612DrRoj.html/bird

Just not sure of distribution.

@@Peter Connan I think there may be a problem with the link you posted as it just takes me to a google search page

It's a tough one but judging by the cheeks it's a juvenile familiar chat

thanks @imSA84

the cheeks do make it look like a familiar chat, but according to my guide books the juvenile doesn't have the cheek markings and the plumage looks much more spotted.

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I really don't have a clue, but I cannot find any images or photos that match mine.

do you know what? After a few days of searching I am now inclined to eat humble pie and concede that the most likely candidate is the one suggested by @@Tdgraves right at the start.

Juvenile Ant Eating Chat

kudos @@Tdgraves

? makes up for all the ones of mine that I got wrong!!!!

Peter Connan

I am not convinced, because to me it seems as if the head shape is wrong.

My guess was juvenile Drakensberg Rockjumper, but I am not entirely convinced about that either.

Let's see if I can get the link to work this time:

http://www.warwicktarboton.co.za/birdpgs/612DrRoj.html

If it doesn't, search for Warwick Tarboton, go to his bird images section, and find the rockjumper. The image at top right is why I think this might be it?

Edited by Peter Connan

Thanks @@Peter Connan the link worked this time.

I am not at all certain that we have nailed it as the Ant Eating Chat but for me it still remains the best 'guess'.

The distribution looks wrong for the Drakensberg Rockjumper and it seems to have a much more prominent tail. I am not sure at what stage the eye becomes red but it is a distinctive feature.