Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
optig

My Unfortunately Suspended Safari to Chuyulu Hills,Nairobi National Park, Ol Malo Camp in Laikipia and Sarara Camp in the Matthews Range

30 posts in this topic

I am so glad you finally got to make this trip, @@optig, and that you're looking hale and healthy. I'm particularly glad for a selfish reason: I'm beginning to think about Kenya for 2018, and your trip to the Namunyak Conservancy in particular is very inspiring. I feel like it would be amazing paired with a visit to the Mara for a first time visitor, as the two ecosystems look so completely different. Also, I love the pictures of you with the orphaned gerenuk, and would like to learn more about the elephant orphanage. That's a great tip about the new lodge being built! Thanks again for sharing.

1 person likes this

@@hannahcat the two ecosystems are completely different in every way shape and form. The two would make an outstanding combination which I couldn't recommend more. The wildlife,scenery, birdlife and even cultural experience are all totally different. I can't stress enough how much I enjoyed the feeling of having the entire 350,000 acres conservancy to myself. I had my own guide and KWS ranger the entire time. I never had to share a vehicle on either visit.

I have to stress that when you visit the Masaai Mara whatever you do please stay in a private conservancy. @@Zarek Cockar particularly likes the Mara Naiboisho Conservancy. I stayed twice in the Olare Orok Conservancy and loved it.

2 people like this

@ optig

I think the stork is an Abdim's (or white-bellied) stork and your last picture is a Crowned Lapwing.

I enjoy reading your TR a lot and I'm especially interested in birds as you might guess

I hope that in a few week's time I will see many of them, hopefully some lifers for me...

@@AfricanQueen Thank you so much for your kind identifications. I can't wait to hear about your upcoming safari. I was planning to post more about my last safari,but I've been inconvenienced by the fact that the local internet connection has been patchy all day. Now it's finally come back. I constantly remind myself that wifi,power, and much else was less efficient four and a half years ago than today. Much of the improvements in life in Africa can't be measured in simple statistics.

med_gallery_47384_1656_39030.jpg

I have to say that it was incredible watching the elephants dig for water. I had never seen this before. They were also frequently coming to the swimming pool and drinking out of it.

med_gallery_47384_1656_43636.jpg

There were reticulated giraffes everywhere and they are just magnificent. I never tire of seeing them.

med_gallery_47384_1656_303369.jpg

Please notice the elephants in the photos. It says alot about my lack on my photographic skills! I simply have to learn how to focus my camera.

med_gallery_47384_1656_98563.jpg

The numbers of greater kudu were sparse due to the drought, but still I managed to see some including this magnificent specimen.

med_gallery_47384_1656_452315.jpg

There weren't many gerenuk but still I saw a few.

med_gallery_47384_1656_107124.jpg

Here are some of the adorable orphans.

med_gallery_47384_1656_145898.jpg

There are more elephants at the Singing Wells. The Singing Wells in a great place to spot wild life.

I saw a leopard here on a nigh drive as well as a hyena on another. I also saw an African hare as well as

slender mongoose, white tailed mongoose, and of course dwarf mongoose as well as silver backed jackal.

med_gallery_47384_1656_439112.jpg

These two giraffes seem to be having a conversation. They are probably complaining about the all the people coming in from the NRT to see the new elephant orphanage.

med_gallery_47384_1656_163996.jpg

I enjoyed fly camping in the dry river bed especially because I had diner with Rob and Meg Palmer, the lovely South African co-managers. I can remember listening to the elephants walking around and the cries of a hyena. I have to say that I love fly camping more every time that I do it.

6 people like this