See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Into Thin Air

Wild Dogs Ethiopia Wolves Gorillas Rwanda Kenya Laikipia

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,896 posts
  • Local time: 09:15 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:38 PM

Great to sign on and see your TR! A dreadful long drive that was wiped out by those stunning views of Bale mountains!

My sympathies on your bad tummy and awful way to spend a day in bed but you would need that to face the rest of the trip!

So envious of those the sightings of Ethiopian wolves and that mountain nyala look awesome with such elegant necks and white band around it.

Edited by Kitsafari, 06 March 2017 - 08:39 PM.

• SafariChick, michael-ibk and optig like this

#42 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 08:15 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:52 AM

I let you get a very big head start on this report before coming around to check it out.  Really looking forward to it, but did not expect to begin at Safeway.  Lovely daughter!

Thanks for reporting your experiences so promptly.  The Mountain Nyala help make the 10 hour drive worthwhile.  Rain and hail, hmmm.  That's a bit disconcerting.

Gorgeous landscapes at Bale.  Note to self:  Have Gortex boots at the ready when using the loo.

Wolf sightings on your first outing--way to go!  While the wolves are the star of the show, that Giant Mole Rat played a respectable supporting role.  The goats are quite lovely too. 

I am wondering how the lost hairbrush saga will turn out out.  Your first picture as a couple looks fine, no strands getting gnarled or sticking out amiss.

Edited by Atravelynn, 07 March 2017 - 03:13 AM.

• SafariChick and optig like this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#43 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:13 AM

Oh no, sick on safari.  You were wise to take it easy and not push yourself, which could wreck the entire trip.  That dislocated ankle story almost makes me sick.  Glad your illness was short-lived.  Interesting that it is possible to spend a day on the plateau with no wolves--you mentioned another couple saw none.  All the more reason to be thankful for your luck!

Your new room has a lovely bucolic view. 

Love the market shots.

Thanks so much for this exciting account!

Edited by Atravelynn, 07 March 2017 - 03:26 AM.

• SafariChick and optig like this

#44 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:14 AM

@SafariChick that's what YouTube is for, all the stuff you weren't allowed to watch! The Wooluf was a firm favourite along with the Hairbear bunch, the latter in my book was entirely educational in the wonderland zoo, dooby-do-do-doo.

My TV time was not restricted, but I missed out on this too.

• ld1, SafariChick and optig like this

#45 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for all the comments @Atravelynn! The hairbrush saga will not be resolved in Ethiopia but I'm glad my hair looked ok in the photo! You'll have to read sections two and three of the report to find out if it gets resolved in another country. (Note; those are not yet started!)

#46 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

@Kitsafari thanks for the comments! 

#47 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:37 AM

Thanks for all the comments @Atravelynn! The hairbrush saga will not be resolved in Ethiopia but I'm glad my hair looked ok in the photo! You'll have to read sections two and three of the report to find out if it gets resolved in another country. (Note; those are not yet started!)

So it is a mystery for now.

#48 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:58 AM

Part Two of the trip report, "Mud, Sweat and Tears" is up in the Rwanda forum.  @Atravelynn your brush questions will be answered! http://safaritalk.ne...weat-and-tears/

#49 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:50 PM

Part Two of the trip report, "Mud, Sweat and Tears" is up in the Rwanda forum.  @Atravelynn your brush questions will be answered! http://safaritalk.ne...weat-and-tears/

I can see why you had to have separate sections.  How could you pass up a title like that?  Will tune in some time in April to learn how you managed without your brush.  It seems mud, sweat, tears, and tangled hair was your fate.

#50 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,634 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:03 AM

@SafariChick what a successful short visit to the Bale mountains, your photos are very picturesque and the wolf sightings excellent.  Sorry that you were ill, but glad that you were over it quickly.

Having just returned from Addis where we spent spent some time with someone who had been there for quite some time, I can comment on the vegetarian meals being on Wednesdays and Fridays.  Apparently it is traditional in the orthodox Christian religion in Ethiopia to fast on those days, where fasting means not eating meat.  If you ask for a fasting meal most local restaurants understand what you mean and in our case, when eating at a small local cafe we got the most wonderful Ethiopian vegetarian feast.  Highly recommended and some of the very best local food we've tasted anywhere.

The poor donkeys were actually horses, which is even worse given that their carrying ability is worse.

What a trip you've had. 

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

#51 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:20 AM

@twaffle how nice of you to read and comment on my report! And yes, I learned that about the fasting and it meaning no meat and it being on those days as our Driver Demiss was observing that custom also. But the menu was very strongly worded that you could ONLY get those vegetarian meals on those days of the week - yet when we asked, it was fine!

Oh you're right of course, those are horses in the photo, how silly of me. I have to say that this was something that really caused me distress, seeing many donkeys AND horses so heavily laden or small cart horses pulling people in carts and being made to RUN not just trot - and everyone was holding a stick - some people actually slapped the animals with it and some used it more to wave at them to get them to move in a certain direction if walking with them - but it was very hard for me to see.  

#52 twaffle

twaffle

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 8,634 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 AM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

I have a lot of trip reports to catch up on but many have fallen off my feed so it's hard to find them all.  At least I have lots to read!

Yes, the donkeys and horses have it very tough and it's very hard to see.  I agree.

… clarity in thought comes after challenge …

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wild Dogs, Ethiopia, Wolves, Gorillas, Rwanda, Kenya, Laikipia

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.