See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Masai Mara / Serengeti Boarder Crossing May be Reopened

Masai Mara Serengeti Boarder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:45 PM

Per the below found on ATTA's website the it may be possible at some point in the future to legally cross between the Triangle and the Serengeti.

http://www.atta.trav...-mara-serengeti

I have mixed feelings as this would be a great way to see both parks and allow access (from the Kaogatende airstrip) to other parks in Tanzania.  I am however a bit concerned that it may cause an influx of min-busses from Tanzania into the Triangle during the migration period. (If they allow drivers from one country to guide in the other).

I'm already planning an itinerary should the boarder ever actually be opened...

- fly into Nairobi, stay in the Mara Triangle and Serengeti for a few days; flyi to Lake Manyara from Kogatende (Manyara NP and a crater visit); drive down to Arusha NP, fly from KIA back to JKIA.

• pault and Zubbie15 like this

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

the announcement has no date on when it will  happen

the crossing  was actually ceased by Tanzania  as people were doing combined 2 nation tours out of Nairobi with nearly all the benefits to Kenya

there was not much in it for them ,ending it can easily be understood

and not having masses of vehicles moving across the border is desireable , it would be no good for the wildlife

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:07 PM

Any news on this topic? 

#4 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

the announcement has no date on when it will  happen

the crossing  was actually ceased by Tanzania  as people were doing combined 2 nation tours out of Nairobi with nearly all the benefits to Kenya

there was not much in it for them ,ending it can easily be understood

and not having masses of vehicles moving across the border is desireable , it would be no good for the wildlife

I crossed at Sand River a couple times in the nineties. At that time, Kenya was not allowing any traffic into Tanzania. Tanzania was begging for more tourists and Kenya was doing what it could to keep safaris within Kenya and originating at Nairobbery. It was quite easy for me to go through the border on the Tanzanian side. The difficulty was on the Kenya side. Once at the Kenya border post, it was apparent the only way in was to bribe the officials. After those negotiations, me and my 4x4(The Beast) were not fully legal within Kenya. To drive the reverse direction for years was near impossible, except by going through customs formalities in recent years in Nairobi 1st. And that is not well known. Lots of issues involved going either direction unless all functions can take place at the border. 

• PT123 and pault like this

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,067 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:36 AM

@luangwablondes thank you for some history. This certainly isn't the first time I have seen this news and I am sure there were a number more occasions before I was even interested.

Oddly when I was there a few years ago the Kenyans would let the Tanzanian vehicles extend their drives into the Mara a couple of kilometers (a very quiet part of the Mara anyway) but the Tanzanians would absolutely not allow reciprocation. I found that ironic given the origins of the dispute.

Personally I prefer things as they are with Northern Serengeti accessible to all but not too easily, although there have been times I have wished otherwise. Apart from anything else it would damage visitor numbers for other areas of Kenya and Tanzania which would not be good at all. And goodness Seronora can do without another few hundred vehicles during the northern summer.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#6 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 PM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:42 AM

@pault

In the 90's, the Kenya border post was several kilometres from the border. If things haven't changed and memory serves, I believe if you would have followed the track further, the Tanzanian border post would be a couple hundred metres beyond the actual physical border. If that is still the case, in all probability, you never drove into Tanzania. 

I camped one night at the Kenya border post. Usually rangers visit during the night in these circumstances. But apparently the local lion pride was doing their job. They came through twice. 

• pault likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Masai Mara, Serengeti, Boarder

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.