See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Cryptic Wildlife Populations

cryptic wildlife african populations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adam parkison

adam parkison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 AM
  • Category 1:Writer
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:58 AM

Despite the constant headlines about the bleak poaching problem in the continent of Africa, I am always amazed by stories of cryptic wildlife populations being discovered- or rather- re-discovered in some cases. I will give an example of my own experience, but also was hoping to hear from others:

While in the eastern Central African Republic, in the Chinko River Basin, I was blown away by the amount of African wild dogs I kept seeing while i lived in the bush from 2008- 2014. It wasn't until 2012, after sharing my photos and stories with a biologist, that I discovered that that particular population of wild dogs was unknown to exist in eastern CAR!

Later, after the formation of the Chinko Project and its management by African Parks, the same researcher, Thierry Aebischer, ALSO confirmed the presence of Chimpanzees in the area- which was needless to say, a huge discovery!

Does anyone else know of cases like this, where cryptic populations of animals showed up where they were unexpected, or thought to be extinct? 

P1050425.JPG

• madaboutcheetah, twaffle, Caracal and 6 others like this

#2 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts
  • Local time: 11:47 AM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 12 February 2017 - 11:27 PM

Wild dogs appear in areas with low wildlife populations, few (or no lions) and low human populations. I think they still occur quite widely in Angola for example.

Another example would be the existence of lions in Alatash in Ethiopia.

When you say that you were blown away by the amount of wild dogs you kept seeing, how many or often did you see them? How big were the packs? How many packs? Did you try to identify individuals? @adam parkison

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cryptic, wildlife, african, populations

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.