Robjwilli

Latest Etosha travel information

8 posts in this topic

Has anyone recently been to the park or able to point me in the direction of a reliable source to confirm the following before my forthcoming trip?

Can I enter via Galton Gate or is that for Dolomite residents only? (We are staying at Okaukuejo)

On a related note, can I enter the western region from Okaukuejo or is that only open to access Dolomite camp?

What are the current gate opening and closing times?

The websites I have found seem hopelessly out of date and lacking detail so I am hoping the fantastic forum members on here might be able to help.

Many thanks, Rob

gate opening times vary from day to day, it's basically the official sunrise and sunset times

enybody can enter via Galton Gate and anybody can enter the region west of Okaukuejo

1 person likes this

Thanks Ice, good to have that confirmed as I'm heading from west to east so will enter via Galton and travel through the park to reach Okaukuejo.

I'll use sunrise/sunset for gate times then. Just used to the SANParks approach where everything is much clearer upfront.

TIA I guess

Well, depending on camp during check in they will hand you a printout with the exact gate opening times. However, just like you are used from SANParks, they also have "fake clocks" at the camps entrances, depicting opening and closing times.

Galton Gate was opened for all visitors already in 2014! And there is no restrictions whatsoever between east-to-west or in reverse. Only problem is exiting Etosha with unprocessed meat due to the veterinary restrictions.

Sunrise to sunset, changes every month, at 30 min intervals. No problems if too early, as sometimes gate opens a bit early. But they are strict on closure times, better be back in time. Also because thus you will avoid the speeding caravan of late cars driving in a huge cloud of dust.

Sunrise to sunset, changes every month, at 30 min intervals. .

that's not what we experienced during our stay last august, the times were changed on a daily basis, I even had it in written when I checked in at Halali, something like 6:27 am and 5:47 pm

Sunrise to sunset, changes every month, at 30 min intervals. .

that's not what we experienced during our stay last august, the times were changed on a daily basis, I even had it in written when I checked in at Halali, something like 6:27 am and 5:47 pm

Oooops, my bad then. But anyway, you cannot exit until the gate opens, and there will be a big clock to show the closing hour.

Thanks all for the inputs, I'll be there soon enough so will follow up when I return.