See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Kenya: a west-to-east birding + mammal safari January 14-29, 2017

Kenya birding offbeat mara mara north

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Local time: 07:13 PM
  • Category 1:Wildlife Photographer/Artist
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:31 PM

For some reason the embed code from xeno-canto did not display correctly on Safaritalk's web interface.

Here is a direct link to the player:   

https://www.flickr.c...offshorebirder2

'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'
John Keats - Ode on a Grecian Urn

#102 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:34 PM

One thing I forgot to mention in the post above was that we saw illegal grazing taking place well north of the Mbagathi River.  

#103 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Local time: 06:13 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:58 PM

Here you go @penolva (see above).    I hope you have a great outing on August 23!

What a day! Some beautiful birds and the Sunni, not seen one of those before! Pen
  • offshorebirder likes this

#104 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:14 AM

Here you go @penolva (see above).    I hope you have a great outing on August 23!

What a day! Some beautiful birds and the Sunni, not seen one of those before! Pen

@penolva - I bet you will have several sightings if you work those less-traveled forested areas.

Good luck Pen!

• penolva likes this

#105 Zarek Cockar

Zarek Cockar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Local time: 09:13 PM
  • Category 1:Safari Guide
  • Category 2:Born in Africa

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

@offhsorebirder

Sorry just seen this now.  Been offline for a while.  It is indeed the hermit crab, rather than the snail, which makes the little sand balls.  I can't remember what the purpose is.  I can try to look it up. My knowledge of marine life is woefully low.  There's SO much to learn.  I wish I could spend more time down there learning.

Zarek Cockar

Private Guided Safaris

Africa & You

"To explore the unknown and the familiar, distant and near and to record in detail with the eyes of a child, any beauty, horror, irony, traces of utopia or Hell." - Dan Eldon

Facebook: https://www.facebook...karprivateguide

EMAIL: zarek @ africaandyou . com

#106 Lizblues

Lizblues

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:13 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:34 PM

@offshorebirder Hi. We're a family of five from Texas and are planning a trip to Kenya in August. We have looked up many tour operators but have got the best quote from Ben's Ecological Safaris. However, I can't seem to find any reviews for Ben on tripadvisor but I can see that you have had a fantastic trip with Ben and Simon this year. Your pictures speak a thousand words and leaves me with no doubt that Ben's Ecological Safaris are reliable tour operators but I just thought to double check with you before we confirm our trip to Kenya with Ben.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Elizabeth.

• offshorebirder and Tom Kellie like this

#107 offshorebirder

offshorebirder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

Hi @Lizblues - you are going to have a LOT of fun in Kenya.    I can wholeheartedly recommend Ben's Ecological Safaris.   Ben has contacts EVERYWHERE in Kenya - it is uncanny how he knows people everywhere you go - at airline counters, safari camps, game ranger stations, shopping centers, hotels, game reserves, airports, etc. etc. 

Anything that goes wrong, Ben will be able to work around it with his staff, extra vehicles, business contacts, and so forth.

Ben also uses local guides to supplement his phenomenal  birding and safari guide abilities.  This is because the local expoerts know the current status of your target species and where to find them on any given day. 

Ben is SUPER reliable - if he says it, you can take it to the bank.    But don't be dismayed if it takes a couple of days for your email to be returned - sometimes his office staff doesn't want to give a wrong answer and they'll leave it to Ben to answer when he gets "back on the grid" after guiding in the wilderness. 

I will PM you my email address - feel free to ask any follow-up questions you might have. 

• Tom Kellie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, birding, offbeat mara, mara north

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.