Bird ID help please

cambridge_mike

cambridge_mike

I went on my first safari back in November (southern Botswana) and I'm only just now tagging the photos properly... I've got a reference book but can't figure out what any of these are! Any suggestions from those more experienced?

thanks in advance!

gallery_51271_1635_34212.jpg

(some kind of bee eater?)

gallery_51271_1635_59612.jpg

(looks a bit like a waxwing, not sure what type)

gallery_51271_1635_114970.jpg

(I'd call it a thrush over here.. not sure that's right though!)

gallery_51271_1635_42891.jpg

gallery_51271_1635_38639.jpg

gallery_51271_1635_28158.jpg

(doesnt look like any of the kingfishers in the book)

gallery_51271_1635_21315.jpg

My suggestions would be

1 little bee-eaters

2 Jameson's firefinches

3 arrow-marked babblers

4 African hawk-eagle

5 tawny eagle

6 brown-hooded kingfisher

7 Burchell's coucal

Even as an experienced birder I often look at what I think is a reasonably good photo of a bird I couldn't identify and think that shouldn't be hard too find in the book,only to find myself left scratching my head after I been through the book for at least the third time and not found it. :) Back at home if I think I know what it is but I'm not absolutely certain I might just do a quick Google image search to have look at some photos, this can be a big help giving you different angles and plumages and so on and is particularly helpful if the illustrations in the book aren't that great. I hope that my IDs are correct but someone else may have other suggestions.

I agree, although the Tawny could just as easily be one of the other LBJ's. Very difficult to tell them apart at a distance.

cambridge_mike

thanks ! I need to get a bigger guide book... :)