Peter Connan

Who is planning for 2018?

187 posts in this topic

@Towlersonsafari congratulations on your anniversary and what a splendid African celebration you have planned. I'll be interested to hear about the new chalets at Nossob.

@pomkiwi what a variety of travel you have lined up for 2018! Whereabouts are you going in the Western Cape?

2 people like this

thank you @Treepol the KTP is such a beautiful place its always a pleasure to spend time there

Edited by Towlersonsafari
bad spelling

@Treepol We are staying at Bushmans Kloof which is a reserve in the Cederberg Mountains - hopefully an opportunity for some hiking and some interesting flora.

First-timer going with my dad to Zambia to mark my 40th birthday. 

August 24-Sept. 9

Our itinerary includes South Luangwa National Park (Bilamungwe and Chamilandu—Bushcamp Company and Mwamba—Shenton Safaris) and the Busanga Plains in Kafue National Park (Busanga Bush Camp—Wilderness Safaris). 

241 days, 8 hours, 49 minutes to departure. But who’s counting? 😉

8 people like this

First timer here too. We're doing Tanzania's northern circuit, 2 days Tarangire, 1 day in the crater, 3 days central Serengeti. And perhaps foolishly, 2 days in Zanzibar. 

Planning for late June but nothing firm yet. 

1 person likes this

We will be experiencing the Northern Circuit of Tanzania in April 2019. It will be my second safari (the first was Kenya for almost a month in 2004). My hubby, mom, and one of our best friends will be experiencing their first Safari. I cannot believe it has taken me so long to make it back to Africa, but our financial situation is much improved and Africa isn’t cheap. Lol. We will be spending 2 nights at Tarangire Simba Lodge, 1 night at Sopa on the crater rim (with afternoon decent upon arrival and early morning decent the next day before visiting Oldupai Gorge enroute to Ndutu), 3 nights in Ndutu Njozi Camp, 3 nights Namiri Plains, 2 nights Mbalageti Lodge, and 3 nights at Dunia. Cannot wait... Though wait we must. In the meantime we are living vicariously. Tick Tock!

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Yesterday was my birthday and what better present than a safari? My wife really surprised me with a 'quick' safari to South Africa in a few weeks. Will be flying in to Jo'burg. Next day a flight to Skukuza where we'll be spending 2 nights at Ulusaba Rock Lodge and 2 nights at Ulusaba Safari Lodge before back to Jo'burg. Really looking forward to staying in the Sabie Sands area. I just love my wife! :)

Edited by LarsS
8 people like this

Interesting to have read all the travel plans (and changes) of all of you. Some of you have been waiting for a while now, but the good news is that 2018 is here now (for a while).

We are no planners at all, at least not to much in  advance. Besides SA we are thinking about Botswana for May/June. That should be a 4x4 rooftop camping selfdrive to moremi, khwai and savuti for approx 9 nights. Really excited about this as we never done something like this before; 4x4 and camping. Now hoping for a few available campsites. Fingers crossed! 

2 people like this

@LarsS Happy Birthday and what a fabulous gift from your wife :)  I'm envious of all the STers who live in Europe who can more easily jump on a flight and do a quick jaunt to Africa. No such thing from here. Will we get a quick TR out of this? Perhaps some more vlogs?

2 people like this

Well our epic trip to Brazil has finally come together and here's what we're planning:

South Pantanal    10 nights 

Date    accommodation
12/09/18    Arrive 10:40:00 PM
12/09/18    Hotel Mohave
13/09/18    Transfer - Cessna 1 hr flight 
13/09/18    Baia das Pedras
14/09/18    Baia das Pedras
15/09/18    Transfer - Car 4 hrs (game viewing en route)
15/09/18    Barranco Alto
16/09/18    Barranco Alto
17/09/18    Barranco Alto
18/09/18    Barranco Alto
19/09/18    Barranco Alto
20/09/18    Transfer - Car 3-4 hrs (some game viewing en route, some on tarred road)
20/09/18    San Francisco
21/09/18    San Francisco
22/09/18    San Francisco
23/09/18    Transfer - Car 3 1/2 hrs (on tarred road)
23/09/18    Hotel Mohave

North Pantanal     7 Nights 
Date    accommodation
24/09/18    "Flight: GOL Linhas Aéreas 1771
Campo Grande Dep: 06:35        
Cuiaba Arr: 7:40 "
24/09/18    Pouso Alegre
25/09/18    Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
26/09/18    Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
27/09/18    Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
28/09/18    Porto Jofre Pantanal Camping (but not 'camping' - in rooms)
29/09/18    Pouso Alegre
30/09/17    Depart or continue to extension

Maned wolf extension    6 nights

Date    accommodation
30/09/18    Flight Cuiaba dep: 17:05    Brasilia arr:  19:35                
Brasilia dep: 20:45
Belo Horizonte Arr: 22:10
30/09/18    Linx Confins 
01/10/18    Caraca Monastery
02/10/18    Caraca Monastery
03/10/18    Caraca Monastery
04/10/18    Canastra National Park
05/10/18    Canastra National Park
06/10/18    Canastra National Park
07/10/18    depart 15:20

Next year I may have to economise! :o

13 people like this

9 hours ago, lmonmm said:

@LarsS Happy Birthday and what a fabulous gift from your wife :)  I'm envious of all the STers who live in Europe who can more easily jump on a flight and do a quick jaunt to Africa. No such thing from here. Will we get a quick TR out of this? Perhaps some more vlogs?

Thanks! I'm planning to make one or more videos of this trip. Not sure yet if I'll make the same kind of videos or try a different format. Still thinking about that. Also, I'm planning to buy a lense with a bit more reach/zoom. The last trip my maximum was 55mm, now looking at 16-300 / 18-270. So hopefully that will help to make more close-up shots. The preparation has already started in my mind! :)

1 person likes this

@kittykat23uk, so glad to hear that your Brazil trip is a go.  You have a great itinerary that certainly is "epic".    Can't wait for the TR already! ;)

Alan

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I have to say a very big thanks to Jo @kittykat23uk and Jane for all the effort to plan this trip. We, my husband and me, are very excited to join this two lovely ladies in Brazil.  

Edited by Botswanadreams
6 people like this

41 minutes ago, Botswanadreams said:

I have to say a very big thanks to Jo @kittykat23uk and Jane for all the effort to plan this trip. We, my husband and me, are very excited to join this two lovely ladies in Brazil.  

It has been a hard slog to organise,  but I think we're there now and it should be awesome! :)

2 people like this

3 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

It has been a hard slog to organise,  but I think we're there now and it should be awesome! :)

Yes it sure has been hard but I am very excited to join @kittykat23uk and @Botswanadreams and her husband on this as well! I won't be doing the maned wolf extension but really looking forward to the two parts of the Pantanal as I've wanted to go for quite some time!

5 people like this

We leave for Argentina and Chile mid February for a month and our second trip to Alaska with our RV in June and July.  Even though I would love another trip to Africa I don’t think it will happen.

2 people like this

I'm off to Zakouma NP next month, but not sure about later this year. Malawi looks good, looking at Tongole and Kuthengo. Does anyone have any experience of these camps? On the other hand, I want to go to Musekese in the Kafue and I'm sorely tempted by Tswalu. Decisions, decisions!

2 people like this

Despite saying that Peru will be my big trip of 2018 (May), I have a request out for an itinerary for “just” the Mara plus Emakoko using the new Kenya Air routing in November.  I suspect I will blow through whatever New Year’s Resolution I had about curbing my spending this year once I get a reply.

4 people like this

@everyone: there are a lot of plans being posted, I hope this will equate to a lot of trip reports upon your returns...

Matt

7 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Game Warden you have my promise! This site and its members were too helpful (and entertaining) not to return the favor. My photos will be sub-par, and my knowledge of the flora and fauna will be beginner-level. But as a professional writer, I promise to write the h*#% out of it and use proper punctuation. 😆

Edited by bluebird
6 people like this

@bluebird I'm sure we all look forward to it. BTW I use a similar phrase when I cook :)

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

On the other hand, I'm seriously thinking about a return to PNG plus Cape York in QLD and Top End stuff. How does anyone decide.....:rolleyes:

Edited by Galago
1 person likes this

Confessing that I caved in to the temptation of the Kenya Air routing out of JFK.  Going in November: 2 nights Emakoko, 3 nights Enaidura (with Ping) and 4 nights Offbeat Mara (with David again).  It's a bit shorter than I'd like but it fits the budget and I'm returning to two places I love (breaking my rule of no repeats!).  I have two other great trips before Kenya but am only really looking forward to that!

5 people like this

On 1/15/2018 at 10:10 PM, SafariChick said:

Yes it sure has been hard but I am very excited to join @kittykat23uk and @Botswanadreams and her husband on this as well! I won't be doing the maned wolf extension but really looking forward to the two parts of the Pantanal as I've wanted to go for quite some time!

Hopefully this will be another great example of how safaritalk.net has brought like-minded folk together for some awesome wildlife viewing! :)

4 people like this

All trips sound so incredible... I am particularly captivated by the epic Brazil itinerary. Maybe that will be my 2020 dream destination. Cannot wait to hear about it! I’m contemplating a fall Grand Teton/Yellowstone trip this year to tide me over until TZ in 2019. 

1 person likes this