Peter Connan

Who is planning for 2018?

130 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@BeatNavy @janzin

 

Not sure what your timescales are for Madagascar but there is someone on birdforum planning to try for ll the endemics in November this year http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=347487

Edited by kittykat23uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

@BeatNavy @janzin

 

Not sure what your timescales are for Madagascar but there is someone on birdforum planning to try for ll the endemics in November this year http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=347487

thanks, I'd be looking at November 2018...this fall we are off to Zambia. Also, we are definitely not into camping or necessarily doing it on the cheap! For a place like Madagascar I'd want decent accommodations.

Edited by janzin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to mention that our Borneo trip for next year is on.  We would love to have 2 to 3 other people join us.

 

I posted details here: 

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest updates on upcoming July 2018 Costa Rica trip: flights are booked, rental car is booked, most of the accommodations are booked. And as 3 weeks is not really long enough, Zvezda and me will extend the trip for 1 more week :D

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we've finally finalized our plans for our 2nd big trip of 2018. And it turns out it won't be Madagascar (this time!) After attending the American Birding Expo last month, where we met several tour operators and came home with bags of brochures, we had narrowed it down to two choices: Patagonia for birds, pumas, kodkod, and spectacular scenery, or Australia for birds and bizarre beasts like platypus and various marsupials.  So...drum-roll..Australia has won out, mainly because of the allure of photographing colorful birds and picking up potentially hundreds of new species. Its been awhile since we were on a serious birding trip with dedicated birding guides (well, there was Cuba last year, which was fabulous, but a very small bird list relative to something like this.)

 

Thanks to @Treepol for her advice and suggestions!

 

This will be the first two weeks in September

 

Fly to Brisbane from JFK

Two nights/three full days of birding Lamington National Park, with private bird guide

One night Brisbane near airport

Fly to Darwin

Six nights in the Top End with a private birding/photography guide (Darwin surrounds, Kakadu, Nitmiluk, Katherine Gorge, etc.)

Fly to Cairns

Seven nights in Tropical Queensland with private birding guide (who we actually met at the Birding Expo.) (Daintree, Atherton Tablelands, Kingfisher Park.)

 

I did end up with an excellent itinerary for Chile/Patagonia, but the price for just the two of us was too high. However, the price for four was very workable so we may revisit that itinerary for fall 2019 and we'll be looking for another couple of folks to join us. :)

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@janzin, Australia sounds terrific! That will be a great trip, and I will follow it with great interest.

 

BTW, Chile/Patagonia ... sound tempting ... 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just booked KTP for sept 2018. Not the exact camps we wanted (nossob fully booked by 1 1/2 hours into booking period!) but hopefully we can iron that out over the next 11 months....

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tdgraves said:

Just booked KTP for sept 2018. Not the exact camps we wanted (nossob fully booked by 1 1/2 hours into booking period!) but hopefully we can iron that out over the next 11 months....

Man, if there is one thing this thread has taught me it is how ahead of the game you have to be! I had no idea people booked so far out! Glad you are going where you want to go, even if you're not staying in your dream location.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well looks like my next trip will be to Japan for the cranes, stellar's sea eagles and snow monkeys in feb!  

 

But I am still looking for others to join me in Brazil in sept 2018. Details in my signiature. .

Edited by kittykat23uk
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having missed a year :( now planning a trip to Kenya in October 2018.  More to follow when I have firmed up itinerary.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We missed a year traveling as well.

Off to Tarangire, Ndutu, Serengeti central and north hopefully for some migration viewing.  Will be there late summer 2018 with good friends, some are first time Africa visitors. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 6:05 PM, wilddog said:

Having missed a year :( now planning a trip to Kenya in October 2018.  More to follow when I have firmed up itinerary.

 

Now booked with Gamewatchers for Porini Amboseli, Mara and Lion in October 2018. It always feels better when it is in the diary, even if it is some 330 odd days to go :)

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2018

* Dec 26 2017 - January 1 (booked)

Western Sahara. 
Target is to find the Sand cat.
Also Dorca Gazelle, Fennec fox, Ruppells fox etc. etc. 

* Feb 24 - Mar 2 (booked)
Once again back to Kenya and Mara and of course staying in Porini private concessions. 
Olare Motorogi and Ol Kinyei concervancies.

* July - Aug (not yet booked)

10 days Sri Lanka. A quest for 3 small cats. Rusty spotted cat, Jungle cat and Fishing cat. plus alot of other species. 
Will looking for travel companion on this sometime next year so if you are into Sri Lanka and some hardcore mammalwatching. Drop me a note :) 

Then onto Borneo, Vietnam, Sulawesi, Perhentian island... <--- At least two of these places.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just booked our second family safari with our teens for next june/july and we are returning to kenya (although our planner said we need to change locations next time!). we are doing all kicheche camps for 12 days and focusing  on mara (kicheche mara, valley and bush.) then we will head to a lovely inclusive beachfront rental in dian for 6 days. 

 

phew!! i am determined to see a leopard this time!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

meant malindi.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm vowing to stay in the Western Hemisphere in 2018.  Thinking about visiting bears in British Columbia or Alaska and of course Colombia is still on track for 2018.  As usual, if I want to travel with my husband, it means more impromptu planning (which means I plan many trips and then have choices to select from.)

Edited by AmyT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

<<* July - Aug (not yet booked)

10 days Sri Lanka. A quest for 3 small cats. Rusty spotted cat, Jungle cat and Fishing cat. plus alot of other species. 
Will looking for travel companion on this sometime next year so if you are into Sri Lanka and some hardcore mammalwatching. Drop me a note :) >>

 

@Antee - One of my childhood friends' daughter started the Fishing Cat Project in Sri Lanka.  She was one of the young speakers at the wild life conference recently in San Francisco.  If you would like, I can put you in touch with her.

 

If you have any questions about Sri Lanka, please ask, and I will do my best to answer it or put you in touch with someone who can.  Have been in the jungles since 9 years, and have been photographing wild life there for a couple of decades.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Antee I would definitely be up for travelling with you at some point. Sri Lanka interests me for the cats. My friend whow runs a travel company and who i use for all my india trips also covers sri lanka and has experience of organising cat focused trips there. Or there's probably some contacts you can hit up via mammalwatching.com 

 

Obviously I still want to return to Borneo for that clouded leopard - mike is killing me with all the sightings he's been having.

 

I still want to get to Ethiopia at some point and for next year I am still trying to look at a trip to Brazil. That's now looking like a combination of North and south pantanal with the maned wolf extension. Still not booked so may well fall through.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2017 at 9:32 AM, Antee said:

Then onto Borneo, Vietnam, Sulawesi, Perhentian island... <--- At least two of these places.

 

Perhentian islands ... are you switching to marine world now?! Or just for pure relax :)??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 9:38 PM, janzin said:

Well we've finally finalized our plans for our 2nd big trip of 2018. And it turns out it won't be Madagascar (this time!) After attending the American Birding Expo last month, where we met several tour operators and came home with bags of brochures, we had narrowed it down to two choices: Patagonia for birds, pumas, kodkod, and spectacular scenery, or Australia for birds and bizarre beasts like platypus and various marsupials.  So...drum-roll..Australia has won out, mainly because of the allure of photographing colorful birds and picking up potentially hundreds of new species. Its been awhile since we were on a serious birding trip with dedicated birding guides (well, there was Cuba last year, which was fabulous, but a very small bird list relative to something like this.)

 

Thanks to @Treepol for her advice and suggestions!

 

This will be the first two weeks in September

 

Fly to Brisbane from JFK

Two nights/three full days of birding Lamington National Park, with private bird guide

One night Brisbane near airport

Fly to Darwin

Six nights in the Top End with a private birding/photography guide (Darwin surrounds, Kakadu, Nitmiluk, Katherine Gorge, etc.)

Fly to Cairns

Seven nights in Tropical Queensland with private birding guide (who we actually met at the Birding Expo.) (Daintree, Atherton Tablelands, Kingfisher Park.)

 

I did end up with an excellent itinerary for Chile/Patagonia, but the price for just the two of us was too high. However, the price for four was very workable so we may revisit that itinerary for fall 2019 and we'll be looking for another couple of folks to join us. :)

 

 

 

This sound fantastic. Enjoy. I'm sure you will.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flights are booked. For the visa we have to apply on November the 20th again because our first try was too early. On January the 18th we will be the first time in India. Thanks to all who wrote such nice and inspiring trip reports. I hope we'll have an amazing time.      

Edited by Botswanadreams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-11-13 at 9:49 AM, xelas said:

 

Perhentian islands ... are you switching to marine world now?! Or just for pure relax :)??

 

@xelas Hehe... no, just to relax some days in between mammalwatching in Sri Lanka and more mammalwatching in Borneo, Vietnam or Sulawesi :) 

@kittykat23uk and @serendipityntravel Thanx alot for suggestions. I do have my plan more or less sorted out in Sri Lanka and also the operator/guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Antee said:

Hehe... no, just to relax some days in between mammalwatching in Sri Lanka and more mammalwatching in Borneo, Vietnam or Sulawesi :)

 

Perhentian Besar or Kecil?? Snorkeling in front of Perhentian Island Resort back in 2000 is still The Best Underwater experience in my (our) life, tops even the Great Barrier Reef! Do not snorkel without a t-shirt on ... I have regretted it for next 2 weeks :huh:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got our South Africa visas today so proper count down to Cape Town and around can start ... 42 day of cold and gloomy days to be survived :P.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where else are you planning to go in the cape @xelas ? Have a great New (big) Year in RSA!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


© 2006 - 2017 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.