Peter Connan

Who is planning for 2018?

104 posts in this topic

In July/August of 2018, for three weeks, and in a company of excellent birders and photographers @@michael-ibk and @@AndMic a birding/photography/Pura Vida trip to Costa Rica is already scheduled, and the itinerary done:

Itinerary is as follows:
Arenal/Arenal Observatory Lodge (3 nights) (Alajuela via Poas)
Sarapiqui/Posada Andrea Cristina (2)
Manzanillo/Congo Bongo (4)
San Gerardo de Dota/Quetzal Valley Cabins (3) (via Cartago)
Cabo Matapalo/Bosque del Cabo (4)
Dominical/Pacific Edge (2)
Jaco/Cerro Lodge (2)
Of course, we will rent a car. Not without Zvezda this time. So expect another lenghty trip report filled with fantastic photos of birds, monkeys, forests, flowers, landscapes, volcanos, ... Count down: 17 months.
Let see if we could be as lucky as @@Chakra was (and @@xyz99 and other ST members visiting the land of Pura Vida in last few years.

Have a fantastic time @@xelas! Costa Rica is great--my husband and I honeymooned there. We loved the Howlers and the white water rafting and the zip lining and ALL the things!!! You'll have a great time I'm sure. We stayed at this lodge, on the Pacuare River, where you have to white water raft in and out! So much fun.

Cheers!

2 people like this

Change of plans for me, just booked Antarctica for December 2018. This used to be top of my list, until the safari addiction really took hold. Offbeat Mara may have to wait until 2019!

@@Seniortraveller, I am bursting at this seams to hear about this trip. Antarctica is top on my list as well (after our trip to Africa next week!). How did you plan this trip? What does the itinerary look like?!?

@@taylorqobrien , thanks for that link. I have heard a lot of great things about rating on Rio Pacuare, just not enough to lure me in. Costa Rica is indeed a great nature destination, it will be Zvezda and mine fourth visit. Which is your next week Africa destination?

@@taylorqobrien, no planning involved, but there are now five of us going!

Several years ago I did a short trip with Hurtigruten, to see the northern lights. I recently received an email from them with good offers for a trip to Antarctica, on their new ship ( due to be launched next summer ), Roald Amundson.

For true Antarctica aficionados this ship would be too big, but reading a blog by somebody who travelled last December on Hurtigruten's Midnatsol, was encouraging.

The route will be; Punta Arenas, Cape Horn, Antarctic peninsula, Falkland Islands and back to Punta Arenas. Unfortunately we will miss out on South Georgia, but I am just grateful for the opportunity to visit Antarctica.

4 people like this

Well, always planning, the problem is, not always going... ;)

I do hope @everyones plans come to fruition, and, moreso, that there'll be interesting trip reports upon your return.

Matt

2 people like this

I cannot wait to hear about Antartica! What a thrill that will be.

1 person likes this

I do sometime feel a little guilty about my lack of trip reports, but the standard on this forum is soooooo high!

Now tentatively looking at a Namibia trip for February 2018. We might even fly to Johannesburg first, spend two weeks catching up with some birding areas over there and then fly on to Windhoek. A lot will depend on the total cost, but it feels good to be thinking about it....!

We're going to leave out the Johannesburg part (we'll be back!), because of the total cost, but the Namibia plans are becoming quite definite, with Etosha, Kunene River and the Okavango Panhandle all included. Late January 2018 for four weeks!

3 people like this

Ahhhh, Hurtigruten! Hubby and I took the Hurtigruten from the Lofoten Islands down to Bergen six years ago. What a fun trip! We'd driven to see the farms where my ancestors lived, perched on the side of a fjord near the Arctic Circle. I envy your Antarctica trip, @SeniorTraveler!

1 person likes this

So, I got an email from a company doing a trip to Iceland in Aug 2018. I've sent in for the advanced registration once I get the itinerary and price that will be what decides my plans.. I will definitely share the itinerary though. Once in a lifetime trip for me.. it may not be a Safari of Africa, but the wildlife of Iceland will be fun to see also.

@@taylorqobrien , thanks for that link. I have heard a lot of great things about rating on Rio Pacuare, just not enough to lure me in. Costa Rica is indeed a great nature destination, it will be Zvezda and mine fourth visit. Which is your next week Africa destination?

@@xelas, hubby and I are starting in Rwanda. We're doing two mountain gorilla hikes (luckily we planned this trip prior to the price hike!) and seeing the genocide memorial in Kigali. Then we fly to Tanzania (Mt. Kilimanjaro). Arusha overnight; Tarangire NP (2 nights staying at Maramboi Tented Camp), drive through Lake Mayara NP on the way to Karatu for overnight (overnight at the Farm House Valley), Ngorongoro Crate Drive (overnight at the Farm House again), Serengeti NP via Ngorongoro Conservation Area (stay at Kiota Camp for three nights). Thereafter we'll spend some time on Zanzibar (important for me) to kayak, snorkel, swim, and relax.

I've travelled many places, but for some reason I'm very nervous about this trip. I think because there is so much that I have to do prior to leaving and I am fearful of forgetting something extremely important.

Anyway, have fun in Costa Rica!

1 person likes this

@@Seniortraveller, I hope you have a great trip! I'd love to hear about it when you return.

@@Lyss Iceland sounds wonderful too.

I think the theme here is that I love to travel :D

Late June 2018 will most likely be spent in Colombia, the birthplace of my Hubs. We plan to rent a finca (farm) in the Zona Cafetera (coffee growing region) to visit family and attend the Yipao parade, an homage to midcentury Willys Jeeps, Colombian style.

2 people like this

I finally have new plans to report!  February of 2018 - Tanzania for 11 nights!  

5 people like this

@AmyT

I read a great article in the Sunday New York Times Travel section a few months ago about Colombia's Coffee Belt:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/travel/colombia-coffee-country-andes-mountains.html?_r=0

Sounds like a fascinating trip.

2 people like this

Woo hoo - just booked our 3rd trip back to Africa...

4 nights Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Uganda

2 nights Kibale NP, Uganda

5 nights Kogatende/Lamai, Tanzania

4 nights Hwange NP

and only 1 year to go... :D

4 people like this

Some of you may recall the sorry saga of my last minute cancellation of a trip to Kambaku River Sands in May this year due to my son's visa issues. Kambaku very kindly offered to move my accommodation dates and I will be going in February next year for 5 nights (on my own as my son can't make it). A very generous offer and very gratefully received.  

At some point I'm sure I will decide that a return to the Mara is essential but nothing firm yet :)

4 people like this

may 2018

14 nights  Lewa  Safari camp

7 nights Africa on foot

1 person likes this

On 09/02/2017 at 5:24 PM, Tdgraves said:

Just starting to plan a trip to Sri Lanka in January, instead of our usual South Africa trip. probably means we'll end up in South Africa in September instead...

Change of plans, Sri Lanka now on the books for Jan 2019, to give us time to save up after Zimbabwe!! So it'll be Kruger in Jan as usual and then Kgalagadi in September 😃

1 person likes this

Ha @Tdgraves don't book up all the Wilderness camps before we do!

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, Towlersonsafari said:

Ha @Tdgraves don't book up all the Wilderness camps before we do!

Interesting you should mention that @Towlersonsafari I was looking at KNP availability on sanparks earlier and also looked at KTP out of interest. You could easily get a great trip in January if you booked now, including all wilderness camps except urikaruus, it is just that pesky peak season which is a problem....

Planning a trip for September 2018 with husband, son, parents. In need of as much help as I can get. Would like:

gorilla hike (husband)

great migration (I)

ballooning over great migration (husband)

Zanzibar & Giraffe Manor (mom)

whateverthehellyouwant (father)

Father maxes out at 16 in country days. Son will be 3 but is a good traveler who has been to Africa, India, South/Central America, Europe, etc. No budget per se because I don't know what to expect although I've been told the gorilla ticket price doubled. For pricing purposes, that cost won't be included since it will be considered "sunk". We aim for upscale comfortable, my father for "safe"🙄 and I'm so grateful to go back I'll take it all. We chartered a plane in Madagascar, but would rather go commercial for this trip, driving preferred on tar. Not sure how much should be independent, how much operator. Would love to get input. Open to every suggestion. 

My my initial thought is Rwanda, Kenya (Mara), Tanzania (Serengeti/Crater), Zanzibar, Giraffe Manor, home, but that's because I am a rookie and have only scratched the surface which means the tourist "route" is at the forefront of my reading. Would love the thoughts of the many experts here, not only for routes but also places to stay where my son will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Safaritalk @BeatNavy. I am sure you will find the members here welcoming and helpful, as I indicated on that other  forum some of us use!!!

1 person likes this

Thank you, @Seniortraveller! This site is a gem and I appreciate the guidance!

Welcome @BeatNavy  You'll find tons of ideas in the Trip report forum on each country.  You have some great ideas for a safari.  One thing to consider though for gorilla trekking is that there is a strict age limit of 15 years plus, so wherever you go, whether Rwanda, Uganda or Congo, you'd have to have someone watch your son while you trek, unless your parents aren't trekking?  I loved Rwanda and I've left my heart in the Mara three times now, but you have a lot of choice.  You might look in the Trip Planning forums too for others who have planned similar (or repost this there).  Personally I think three countries might be a bit much for 16 days, but I don't like to move around too much.  Anyway welcome to Safaritalk and hope you love planning as much as I do!!