stevento

Northwest Namibia - itinerary help

7 posts in this topic

We are planning to spend several days in the north of Namibia, to be followed by 2 nights Sossusvlei.

I've come up with 3 options.

Option 1.

WDH-fly to Hoanib Skeleton Coast for 3 nights - fly to Kulala Desert Lodget - fly to WDH.

Hoanib Camp looks spectacular, but it is incredibly expensive for 4 people. We have a very generous budget, but $30K for 5 nights is definitely a deterrent.

Option 2.

WDH-Fly to Okahirongo Elephant lodge for 1 or 2 nights - drive to Okahirongo River Lodge for 1 or 2 nights - fly to Sossusvlei for 2 nights at Kulala - fly to WDH.

Not sure how much that would be (waiting to hear back from TA and the lodges), but probably a lot less. Judging from their 6 night package, significantly less. But I am not sure if there is a visit to the coast itself.

Option 3.

WDH-Fly to Khowarib Lodge - Kunene Safaris to drive around the north, with camping accommodations- Khowarib - fly to Sossuslve-WDH.

The least expensive option (no actual costs yet, waiting to hear from the co...tough to connect with time differences and no weekend hours)....however, I have not broken the great news about camping to my wife and 2 teenage daughters...who are decidedly NOT campers at heart. I can probably convince them to do 1 night for contrast though. Again, not sure if the visit to the coast can be arranged...very likely not.

Any input on these options would be greatly appreciated.

a lot of people here have travelled with Caesar from Kunene Tours, including me, and everybody has been (some more, some less) praising him, so give them a good look

Posted (edited)

can you share more or what you did on your travels, pluses, minuses, itineraries, things seen?

Forum search did not reveal very much.

EDIT: found this thread

Very helpful

Edited by stevento

@@stevento I like the look of your itineraries and am intrigued by the Lodge at Purros. I am just booking for 2018 and have signed up for a 6 night lodge-based itinerary that will get us to the Hoanib River bed and then up to the Kunene River on the Angolan border with stops at Epupa Falls Lodge and Kunene River Lodge. This is not as adventurous as your plans, however the accommodation may appeal to your family. Sadly, I haven't been able to convince the group to visit the coast beyond Swakopmund! Oh well, best to leave something for next time.

This will be my 5th trip to Namibia and I am looking forward to seeing the northern Kunene with visits to the German Fort at Sesfontein, searching for desert-adapted species, a visit to the springs at Warmquelle, the "oasis" around Epupa Falls Lodge and staying on the river at Kunene River Lodge. I have spoken to a number of guides who go misty-eyed at the mention of the Kunene and claim that it is their favourite area in Namibia for camping trips. Based on this recommendation, I decided it was time for a visit. I cannot imagine the impact of the Kunene River on the surrounding desert and need to see it for myself - so much water in such a dry land.

We have 2 nights at Khowarib Lodge, 1 at Epupa Falls Lodge (on the advice of the guide), 2 nights at Kunene River Lodge and 1 at Hobatere Lodge where we will meet up with 2 friends before heading into Etosha for 4 nights, then north to the Caprivi and into Botswana.

The guide has provided the following comments which you may find helpful in your planning:

• Drive time from Swakop to Khowarib Lodge is 6 hours
  • The Hoarisib at Purros offers similar wildlife opportunities to the Hoanib near Khowarib Lodge, with some different scenery
  • The warm springs at Warmquelle are 12 km from Khowarib Lodge and are a favourite camping spot with locals
  • The drive from Epupa Falls to Kunene River Lodge is now 4 hours (down from 9 hours) due to the construction of a new road.

1 person likes this

Hoanib Skeleton Coast was a really cool camp and I enjoyed my stay there immensely. That's all the input I have!

My vote would be option #2. I just went and quickly checked out the Okahirongo lodges....quite lovely. I have been to Hoanib Skeleton coast camp and although quite nice, I think the views are much nicer at the other two camps. The trip to the coast...my opinion...meh....it's a long spine rearranging ride. A quick run up the coast to look at a seal colony (for about 1 minute), a view of a wreck or two, lunch on the beach (kind of cool, but when I was there, there was a lot of seaweed and it was quite odorous- not of the good kind). The fun things on the drive.... a stop at the singing dunes and the plane flight back. Otherwise....meh. Hoanib is a very cool camp, but.... it also looks like the ones in option #2 are as well. The most important thing is you are getting to the red dunes.....that is a truly mind blowing experience. The colors....the crazy soul stopping experience of the Dead Vlei....

Anyhow...my two cents :)

thank you for your input.

Hoanib does look very cool...but the cost of the coast trip gives me pause. $5K/night for a party of 4...steep.

I am actually leaning towards #3, if I ever get to speak to the Kunene people....