See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Border Crossing - Tanz to Kenya

Maasai Mara Serengeti

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dinkdunk

dinkdunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

I'm in the middle of planning our October Safari in Tanzania and Kenya.

Does anyone have any recent experience they could share with me about crossing the border between Tanzania and Kenya in Isebania and flying to/from and driving between Tarime and Migori?  I'm wondering if that is just a giant waste of time and we should skip it.  I requested the TA to look into it as I'd really like to avoid wasting a night in Nairobi.  I may be making my trip too complicated!

#2 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts
  • Local time: 11:51 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 27 January 2017 - 12:09 AM

I did that Tarime - migori border post transfer in 2015. Still better than routing through nairobi

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#3 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:00 AM

I have never done the border crossing there, but....

Where are you heading to in Kenya from the border?

Do you have international flights  to Kilimajaro or to Nairobi  or to JRO via NBO? 

Are you driving out to the Serengeti (or are you even coming from the Serengeti - you might be on Lake Victoria.

The reason I ask is becasue when I looked at doing this to add the Mara on to a Tanznia trip, I eventually worked out that iit didn't make sense for us (as regular visitors to East Africa - the Mara wasn't going anywhere) either financially or in terms of scheduling. In fact it was dumb. If your story is potentially like mine I'll explain why (it'll take a little while and unless the story is the same it doesn't make sense to spend that time, as it may well not be relevant).

Waiting again... for the next time again

#4 dinkdunk

dinkdunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

@pault

We are planning on flying into NBO then down to JRO to trek Kili, then on to a few camps and then back out through NBO.  For the camp portion, we plan to fly over to Serian Kogatende then up to Serian Ngare then on to Sarara or Laikipia Wilderness.

While I like to think we would be back to do Kenya separately, in reality I don't think it will be realistic in the next few years.  I guess you never really know, though! 

Edited by dinkdunk, 27 January 2017 - 02:25 PM.

#5 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

If you are doing Serengeti to Mara or reverse ...... that border crossing is best option to save time.
  • dinkdunk likes this

#6 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:03 PM

If you are doing Serengeti to Mara or reverse ...... that border crossing is best option to save time.

+1

See this recent report that describes the border crossing options between the Mara and TZ. They did the fastest one - Migori/Tarime fly-drive across- fly.

http://www.theworldi...frican-odyssey/

Safarilink flights for this
http://www.flysafari...ra_to_Serengeti

Edited by AKR1, 27 January 2017 - 07:12 PM.

• dinkdunk likes this

#7 dinkdunk

dinkdunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 09:29 PM

@AKR1, thanks for the links.  The report is very helpful and makes it sound pretty straightforward. 

Does anyone happen to know how long this whole process takes?  It seems about 6 hrs based on the safarilink flight times...

#8 AndyH1000

AndyH1000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 09:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

@dinkdunk I have done it - I discovered it on here thanks to other ST members and it was great way to loop back out through Kenya. I can recommend it.

I can't recall exactly how long it took - this is in part because our plane from Arusha arrived late into the Serengeti due to weather over the Ngorongoro highlands - the delay was in the order of 2 hours. 

The flight itself should be quick - guessing 15 mins from Kogatende to Tarime, where a car should be waiting for you. Maybe an hour to 1.5 hrs to get to the airport at Migori and through customs - in our case we got pushed through quick given we were late and maybe that section was an hour. The van was air conditioned which was good. The flight to the Mara was maybe half hour. Plus you'll want to add time for logistics. Guessing 3 hours tops. We were in the Mara in time to enjoy a full afternoon's drive. I would do it again, but as PaulT alludes to it's not cheap but useful if you aren't in Africa that often.

• dinkdunk likes this

#9 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,076 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

@AKR1, thanks for the links.  The report is very helpful and makes it sound pretty straightforward. 

Does anyone happen to know how long this whole process takes?  It seems about 6 hrs based on the safarilink flight times...

It took us the entire day - but, we didn't miss any game drives ........ We took our bags with us in the Mara.  The Tarime-Migori transfer was really hassle free .......... 

#10 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2017 - 03:52 AM

@dinkdunk. With the per night camp costs of what you've mentioned and very distinctive destinations in Kenya that you could not find a substitute for in Northern Tanzania my calculations wouldn't really be of interest. You'll probably get the cost back via a better long stay discount at Serian camps anyway! Go for it - and that is going to be a fabulous trip for you (well I never understood the attraction of Kilimanjaro when there are so many other mountain ranges in East Africa that seem to have much better wildlife, better views, fewer people and more oxygen, but know others feel very differently). Have a great time.
  • dinkdunk likes this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#11 dinkdunk

dinkdunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maasai Mara, Serengeti

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.