See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Safaritalk Meetup Thread?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 24 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

There is a thread for people to recount experiences of how they have met other ST members on their travels. However as we all contribute under a varying degree of anonymity I wonder how many occasions ther have been where members have met without ever realising it? I have recently found out completely by accident that I will be at Nairobi Tented Camp ant the same time as another ST member and hopefully we will meet for a brief chat.

Some other fora I browse have threads where members can state where they will beif others want to make contact. Would there be any support for such a thread here where we can say where and when we will be on safari and possibly increase the number of such encounters.

Apologies if I have missed such a thread already in existence or if this is felt to be inappropriate - if so can I ask the moderators to delete it.

• janzin likes this

#2 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

I think its a great idea, I would love to meet other SafariTalkers. I know this has been done somewhat informally with folks sending PMs but it would be great to have a central place to organize. I have had great luck with this on some other travel forums and made some great friends (even in "real" life"!)

I know @Game Warden was discussing an upcoming revamp of the forum, and perhaps this might be a section to include.

Edited by janzin, 24 January 2017 - 08:27 PM.

• pomkiwi likes this

#3 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,407 posts
  • Local time: 03:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:35 PM

Have a look at this topic and feel free to add details of your planned GTGs there...

Matt

• pomkiwi likes this

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#4 pomkiwi

pomkiwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Local time: 04:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 10:00 PM

@Game Warden Thank-you. I hadn't found the GTG thread but have now. The focus seems more on meetings at home than encounters on safari but I have given details of my trip next week and will add some for my trip to South Africa in May in due course.
  • janzin likes this

#5 janzin

janzin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 25 January 2017 - 12:45 AM

Yes, I think that thread is really more about GTGs (get togethers in home cities) and not safari meet-ups. Not really the same thing. 

The problem of these long, single threads is that it is easy to miss something and also, the front-end of the thread becomes outdated quickly. And then if a GTG is actually planned, there's a lot of back and forth and different GTGs get intertwined...

In the forums I've been where this is a feature, there is usually a sub-forum for GTGs and meet-ups and separate threads are posted with invites/schedules. One site even had a trip calendar where everyone could post their trip schedules (but this was in a private/members only area. Understandably some folks don't like to announce to the Internet world when they will be out of town!) Anyway, maybe all of this is something to consider for the future :)

At the moment probably the best place for posting your trip details, @pomkiwi is probably the "who's planning for 2017" thread.  http://safaritalk.net/topic/15418-are-any-of-us-planning-for-2017/ Which is a bit hard to find under the Africa Trip Planning forum--even though it encompasses trips worldwide.

Edited by janzin, 25 January 2017 - 12:46 AM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.