See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

10,000 Pastoralists Invade Laikipia With Increasingly Severe Consequences

Kenya Laikipia Pastoralist Invasion Drought

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,475 posts
  • Local time: 11:34 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:49 AM

http://www.the-star....ikipia_c1489820

http://www.the-star....rsists_c1483721

~ A long article by Eliud Waithaka and Sam Kiplagat in The Star (Nairobi) tells that in recent months about 10,000 pastoralists from Baringo, Isiolo and Samburu counties, with around 135,000 cattle, have invaded Laikipia.

Samburu tribe members have been joined by heavily armed Pokot. There are a number of photos showing the consequences of the situation.

Private ranches are being attacked, with buildings destroyed. Local residents express concerns about what they perceive to be government inaction in dealing with an increasingly serious situation.

A second, unrelated article tells of the severe impact of the ongoing drought on pastoralists in Tana River county.

#2 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts
  • Local time: 10:34 AM

Posted 23 January 2017 - 09:06 AM

There's already a thread open on this Tom. Sorry I don't have time to find it now.

Waiting again... for the next time again

#3 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:24 AM

Sorry Tom... the second article is on a different topic amd a very interesting one. thanks for posting it.

#4 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

This is truly unfortunate because the pastoralists are suffering terribly from drought,and their only response is to attack productive ranches. Nobody is benefitting. 

• Ben mosquito likes this

#5 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

tI was just at Ol Malo Camp in Laikipia and have to comment that it was only Mugie Camp and Soyian Camp (not to be confused with Sosian) which were invaded by pastoralists. There were terrible signs of drought everywhere,but no sign of land invasion where I was. Colin and Rocky Francombe the owners of Ol Malo Camp felt that the pastoralists had no other choice.

Edited by optig, 20 February 2017 - 08:24 AM.

• SafariChick likes this

#6 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

@optig Welcome back. Glad to hear Ol Malo is suffering from nothing more than the drought. That's a very interesting point of view the Francombes have. Look forward to hearing more about your visit of you have time.

#7 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:19 PM

@pault I certainly will but unfortunately I have been quite sick. I missed going to Sarara Camp, and my travel agent is trying to rearrange a visit, I've also had to delay my trip with Zarek Cockar, I can't write to publish a trip report complete with many photographs.

#8 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 12:30 PM

@pault I certainly will but unfortunately I have been quite sick. I missed going to Sarara Camp, and my travel agent is trying to rearrange a visit, I've also had to delay my trip with Zarek Cockar, I can't write to publish a trip report complete with many photographs.

What a pity! Hope it was is something passing. Get well and back out on the road soon.anyway. 

#9 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,589 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:51 AM

I had a similar experience at Laikipia Wilderness Camp as @optig as I mentioned in the other thread about this topic. I also heard the same as he did that it was only those two that are affected now but yes, it really is terribly dry and they are all hoping for rain very soon. Optig, sorry to hear you have not been well, and hope you're better soon.

• optig likes this

#10 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:04 AM

@SafariChick@Pault Thank you so much for kind consideration. I am getting better now and will hopefully be going on safari again soon.

• PT123 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, Laikipia, Pastoralist Invasion, Drought

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.