See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Camera Lens ?

Photographing Wildlife

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mitchell1701

Mitchell1701

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

Hi. First time safari for our family in June.  My ? is....I have a telephoto lens for Canon T3 of 55-250mm.  Will this be enough to get some good shots.  Will we be close enough that I don't need some super $$, long, heavy lens?  I'm not into the fstop, etc. so any easy answer will be helpful.  Thank you!! 

#2 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

Hi,

Welcome to Safaritalk.

In good light and with the animals not to far away, that should be fine. But practice is advised before you go. Go to a nearby zoo, or photograph birds in the garden, pets or squirrels, whatever you can find. Make sure you are comfortable with the camera and check the quality of the pictures you take by printing them -- see if they look sharp.

How close you can get depends on a number of factors. For example in national parks in some countries you are restricted to photographing from the road but in other places, especially in private reserves your guide may go off road and take you quite close to the animals. Ask your trip organiser what is the situation in the places you are going to.
  • Dave Williams likes this
What pays stays.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.