Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave Williams

Food,glorious food!

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

One of the great joys of travel is trying new types of food and drink or finding recipes to change the way things you have already eaten are presented.

I remember being struck with admiration watching a TV travel programme when the guide to a 1,000,000 year old glacier produced a bottle of the finest malt whisky and two crystal glasses out of his rucksack, hacked off a chunk of ice and presented his client with a very special and memorable moment.

I would love to do likewise one day but in the meantime looking back I think of some of the memorable moments I have experienced and not all were a success.

32222357261_0b57fd07a1_b.jpgYes, I did. by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Unfortunately it was tepid when I tried it so not at it's best. Besides having seen the before prior to the after I suppose it put me off slightly.

32302936926_b9a6bd2304_b.jpgDesmarest's Hutia by Dave Williams, on Flickr

( click on the image if you want to watch the 30 second movie)

You have to try these things though.

When in Rome!

Anybody else got anything interesting to share!

Edited by Dave Williams

Posted (edited)

And why not? After all what difference does it make what animal it is? Upbringing is most important in any animal.

You should see a pigpen or a slaughterhouse before dinning that would put you off even more I think. :)

Edited by uwe125

And why not? After all what difference does it make what animal it is? Upbringing is most important in any animal.

You should see a pigpen or a slaughterhouse before dinning that would put you off even more I think. :)

It was the fact it was tepid as much as anything. I agree, a slaughter house might turn me veggie though, a pig pen I have seen many times and pork is my favourite!

Walking around a food market in Shanghai I remarked to my guide I haven't eaten frog's legs since I discovered the barbaric way in which they are killed. Basically, their back legs are cut off whilst they are still alive and the rest of the body discarded to die cruelly.

She must have misunderstood my meaning because her reply was " We eat all of the frog here in China"!

31566750624_b39584f502_b.jpgUntitled by Dave Williams, on Flickr