See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Food,glorious food!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Local time: 05:09 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

One of the great joys of travel is trying new types of food and drink or finding recipes to change the way things you have already eaten are presented.

I remember being struck with admiration watching  a TV travel programme  when the guide to a 1,000,000 year old glacier produced a bottle of the finest malt whisky and two crystal glasses out of his rucksack, hacked off a chunk of ice and presented his client with a very special and memorable moment.

I would love to do likewise one day but in the meantime looking back I think of some of the memorable moments I have experienced and not all were a success.

32222357261_0b57fd07a1_b.jpgYes, I did. by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Unfortunately it was tepid when I tried it so not at it's best. Besides having seen the before prior to the after I suppose it put me off slightly.

32302936926_b9a6bd2304_b.jpgDesmarest's Hutia by Dave Williams, on Flickr

( click on the image if you want to watch the 30 second movie)

You have to try these things though.

When in Rome!

Anybody else got anything interesting to share!

Edited by Dave Williams, 16 January 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#2 uwe125

uwe125

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 AM
  • Category 1:Business Traveller
  • Category 2:Business Traveller

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

And why not? After all what difference does it make what animal it is? Upbringing is most important in any animal.

You should see a pigpen or a slaughterhouse before dinning that would put you off even more I think. :)

Edited by uwe125, 19 January 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#3 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:40 PM

And why not? After all what difference does it make what animal it is? Upbringing is most important in any animal.

You should see a pigpen or a slaughterhouse before dinning that would put you off even more I think. :)

It was the fact it was tepid as much as anything. I agree, a slaughter house might turn me veggie though, a pig pen I have seen many times and pork is my favourite!

#4 Dave Williams

Dave Williams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Walking around a food market in Shanghai I remarked to my guide I haven't eaten frog's legs since I discovered the barbaric way in which they are killed. Basically, their back legs are cut off whilst they are still alive and the rest of the body discarded to die cruelly.

She must have misunderstood my meaning because her reply was " We eat all of the frog here in China"!

31566750624_b39584f502_b.jpgUntitled by Dave Williams, on Flickr

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.