See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Central Kenya Ranchers Suffer from Ongoing Insecurity

Kenya Laikipia Migrant Herders Kerio Valley Baringo

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

http://www.the-star....angers_c1524446

A proper news article rather than an opinion piece and worth singling out.
  • ZaminOz, lmonmm and dinkdunk like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#162 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

Not much change in general that I am aware of, but all (limited) news seems to be relatively positive for a few days now and it's worth noting. Either somebody is doing an amazing PR job or things really have calmed a bit. Touch wood!..

• SafariChick and AmyT like this

#163 Hads

Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

@Game Warden - very sad news about Tristan Voorspuy. My close friends parents flew to his funeral in Kenya.

Edited by Hads, 18 March 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#164 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:47 AM

@Safaridude wasn't the only one to note the rubbish being written about NRT. Here's another opinion piece that addresses some of the apparent misconceptions about conservancies in Kenya and specifically the idea that they are somehow land grabs by foreign organisations.
http://mobile.nation...n1lz/index.html
  • PT123 and offshorebirder like this

#165 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts

Posted Today, 06:59 AM

An interesting video although the topics and interviewees aren't tourism relatred. The woman being interviewed has been hit longest and hardest by all this - for some reason her family's farm was really picked oin and a lot of the Zimbabwe analogies are based on her experience, although it  remains pretty unique. It seems apparent that someone wants her family's farm but I get teh feeling not even she is completely sure who or what the strategy is (could be just she avoids the topic). Anyway,-a very strong person to be able to talk reasonably disapssionately after what she has been through- I would have become totally paranoid if I had had people shooting in my direction nearly every day for a month for reasons suspected but unknown!!  Not to mention that around 100 of her (not huge) herd of cattle have been stolen or shot dead.

Most of the video isn't really relevant to tourism (the Dodds are purely cattle farmers) but you can see the state of the land (pretty shocking, but keep in mind some of these places may be drier than some places further east towards Mount Kenya) and you can see that Mugie is all ready for guests although not exactly busy.

I'll have to post the link as a separate post from my phone as I cannot paste into posts from this computer.

#166 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,065 posts

Posted Today, 07:00 AM

https://m.youtube.co...player_embedded

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, Laikipia, Migrant Herders, Kerio Valley, Baringo

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.