See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Central Kenya Ranchers Suffer from Ongoing Insecurity

Kenya Laikipia Migrant Herders Kerio Valley Baringo

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#161 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts
  • Local time: 04:27 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

http://www.the-star....angers_c1524446

A proper news article rather than an opinion piece and worth singling out.
  • ZaminOz, lmonmm and dinkdunk like this

Waiting again... for the next time again

#162 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:21 AM

Not much change in general that I am aware of, but all (limited) news seems to be relatively positive for a few days now and it's worth noting. Either somebody is doing an amazing PR job or things really have calmed a bit. Touch wood!..

• SafariChick and AmyT like this

#163 Hads

Hads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Local time: 05:27 AM
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

@Game Warden - very sad news about Tristan Voorspuy. My close friends parents flew to his funeral in Kenya.

Edited by Hads, 18 March 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#164 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

@Safaridude wasn't the only one to note the rubbish being written about NRT. Here's another opinion piece that addresses some of the apparent misconceptions about conservancies in Kenya and specifically the idea that they are somehow land grabs by foreign organisations.
http://mobile.nation...n1lz/index.html
  • PT123 and offshorebirder like this

#165 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

An interesting video although the topics and interviewees aren't tourism relatred. The woman being interviewed has been hit longest and hardest by all this - for some reason her family's farm was really picked oin and a lot of the Zimbabwe analogies are based on her experience, although it  remains pretty unique. It seems apparent that someone wants her family's farm but I get teh feeling not even she is completely sure who or what the strategy is (could be just she avoids the topic). Anyway,-a very strong person to be able to talk reasonably disapssionately after what she has been through- I would have become totally paranoid if I had had people shooting in my direction nearly every day for a month for reasons suspected but unknown!!  Not to mention that around 100 of her (not huge) herd of cattle have been stolen or shot dead.

Most of the video isn't really relevant to tourism (the Dodds are purely cattle farmers) but you can see the state of the land (pretty shocking, but keep in mind some of these places may be drier than some places further east towards Mount Kenya) and you can see that Mugie is all ready for guests although not exactly busy.

I'll have to post the link as a separate post from my phone as I cannot paste into posts from this computer.

• lmonmm and AmyT like this

#166 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

https://m.youtube.co...player_embedded

#167 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:43 AM

Mukatan Retreat has been burned down (parts of it anyway) by armed Polot in alleged retaliation for police shooting cattle. A Pokot big man has had his eyes on Kuki Gallman's property for a while I believe and that area is the one where the first incident involving tourists occurred.

Tassia Lodge and Il Ngwesi have closed because of unrest - although the issues in that area go back a few years and although the issues are closely related it's not easy to say if is the same. These are both community owned properties and models of community tourism.

As the rains start it seems the police and Kenya Defence Forces have started an operation to disarm and arrest and so if you are following this and visitng the area in the near future you should brace yourself for more worrying news over the coming weeks. Most of not all of the violence against tourist infrastructure has been in direct retaliation for actions by the police. I have no knowledge but I would imagine things could get worse before they get better. You might want to look away for a couple of weeks if you don't want bad news. Having said that all three affected places were places that have had trouble and disputes in the past and that you would expect to be the targets of land-grabbing politicos. So I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

There are articles about this in the Star newspaper and no doubt there will be more coming - all bad.

Edited by pault, 30 March 2017 - 12:44 AM.

• PT123, lmonmm, dinkdunk and 1 other like this

#168 ZaminOz

ZaminOz

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,987 posts
  • Category 1:Born in Africa
  • Category 2:Conservationist/Naturalist

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

:(

Warning, if any safari camps wish to employ me as a guide, I expect a salary far, far, more commensurate than my actual experience!

#169 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:30 AM

http://www.the-star....-havoc_c1538110

This picture of cattle starting to die in significant numbers due to drought is backed up by other sources although there seems little doubt the police are shooting them too. My very imperfect understanding is that the onset of the rains will make things worse before they get better in terms of cattle health.

But, as always Laikipia is a big place and there are doubtless different stories in different areas.

Anyway the police operation continues and the Lsnya Defence Forces are apparently having an impact. The worst affected farmers are now arresting trespassers and impounding their animals, which is a far cry from the situation of a few weeks ago.

Of course the wildlife is being badly affected too in the driest areas. There doesn't seem to have been massive poaching thank goodness but I guess that won't be known until later.

Sigh ...

#170 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:54 AM

@pault thanks for the updates. very sad all round. 

• optig likes this

#171 Safaridude

Safaridude

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,023 posts
  • Local time: 05:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

This below is a news story posted a few weeks ago in this thread (post #152).  I had criticized this irresponsible, untrue news piece (by Daily Nation):

"Is there More than Meets the Eye in Laikipia Conflcts?"

http://www.nation.co...g34z/index.html

Yesterday, Northern Rangelands Trust came out with a retort:

"Misrepresentation and Misinformation about NRT"

https://static1.squa... March 2017.pdf

Northern Rangelands Trust is far from being perfect (no conservation org is).  However, facts are facts.  That The Daily Nation printed the completely misleading piece in the first place is inexcusable.  Daily Nation's motto:  "Kenya's most trusted source of local, national and world news."

Edited by Safaridude, 05 April 2017 - 12:48 PM.

• Paolo, pault, Peter de Vere Moss and 1 other like this

#172 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:24 AM

A brief summary update (not perhaps complete as I have been a bit busy).....

40mm of rain in Samburu area and the rivers and luggas are flowing. Still fairly dry in the worst affected areas of Laikipia but it can only be a matter of days before they start to get water and things start to green.

Wildlife death reporting has increased significantly -  starvation, shooting and now disease (unconfimed) in that order. Buffalos and zebras worst hit, especially buffalos of course. Of course poaching may be unreported as there isn;t necessarily any evidence left, but certainly it seems (touch wood) ivorty poaching has not been widespread - possbly  it has been worse in the "good times" but I don;t really have a basis to say that - inviting someone to shoot down that theory.

No more reports of shooting cattle that I have seen. Many reports of herds being moved on but still tens of thousands of cattle on each of the worst affected ranches..Progress but slow there it seems.

Ol Pejeta reporting a lot of wildlife incoming (they have permanent water and it seems  some graze and browse. Doubtless the same in other areas and hopefully a lot of the dogs, elephants and other very mobile animals have shifted to safter areas.

Matthew Lempurkel  case for murder of Tristan Voorspuy has collapsed for lack of evidence. Three people still being held over this though, wiith at least one formally charged. Not sure about the incitement to violence charges. Matthew "Teflon" Lempurkel.. Fashion note: Shirt, tie and red blanket..... oh, Matthew! (Sorry, I couldn;t resist).

Three Standard reporters arrested in Laikipia but released pretty quickly - apparently getting the story that  that police shot 500 cows. Standard still printed the story a couple of days later though.

Feels very incomplete but in case you missed any of that and are interested (and not heeding my cynical advice to turn away for a few weeks) there may be  something to follow up.

Meanwhile, in Zimbabwe, I noted that the Herald has come tio the stunning conclusion (hold onto your hats here) that the cause of the conflict was the brazen theft of the land from the Samburu and Pokot by white settlers. Clearly months of investigative jouranlism went into that one.*

* Fact check in case you are not into either irony or reading.... the invading clans of Samburu and Pokot have lhistorical claim over little if any of the occupied land and many of those of the Samburu and  Maasai  clans who might have such a claim (were you to ignore facts such as that much of the land has been legally boutght and sold - in some cases multiple times - since independence) have been among the vistims of this whole thing - or have been in the Mara area for generations now.

Edited by pault, 11 April 2017 - 01:26 AM.

• PT123, optig and AmyT like this

#173 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

The situation is worsening out west on Ol Miasor (vandalsim and conforntation between secuirty forces and pastoralists)  and the Nature Conservancy.(violence). There appears to be a real danger of significant arned conforntations between the security forces and the Pokot now, both in western Laikipia and in neighboring Baringo. 

It's all going to get a bit confusing as the Baringo conflicts are about banditry and conflict between pastoralists and smallholders and hetween different pastoralist groups (and just old fashioned banditry) while hte Laikipia issue is about (in this case at least) grabbing land. But at least one securityy force operation in Laikipa was an attack on a group of Pokoit beleived to be responsible for a massacre in Baringo, aho were hiding out in western Laikipia, rather than "invading". It is possible some attacks on security forces in Baringo will be more related to Baringo issues than Laikipia issues, as we woudl understand them.

Another strange contradiction is that it was Samburu who were controversially attacked and ejected from land owned by Daniel Arap Moi to make way for the purchase of said land for the planned Laikipia National Park that is the aforementioned  Laikipia Nature Conservancy; but it is Pokot who appear to be making a play for the land there.

And the wildlife situation doesn't appear to be better at all in the bad areas, although I am sure it is much more relaxed in many others.

I think I'll probably leave my contributions on this topic there - at least for now. The same places remain under heavy pressure. The same places remain unaffected. The same places are vulnerable and affected on and off but their situation should be improved by the rains - at least in the short-term.

Hopefully Tom will take over with news links again as I am sure there will be quite a bit of news to come.

• PT123, offshorebirder and hannahcat like this

#174 Seniortraveller

Seniortraveller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:41 AM

Thanks @pault for having kept us updated on the situation. I did feel like 'liking' the posts to show my appreciation, but didn't seem appropriate!
  • pault likes this

#175 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
  • Local time: 11:27 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Also thank from me, @pault - and everybody else who contributed. All too depressing. :(

• pault likes this

#176 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

@Seniortaveller  I used to have the same issue - still do sometimes, but in such circumstances I try to think of it as the "appreciate" button.

• Seniortraveller likes this

#177 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,421 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 PM

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:20 AM

@everyone, please provide links to relevant online news media reports or other sources, NGO press releases etc.

Thanks, Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#178 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:51 PM

@everyone, please provide links to relevant online news media reports or other sources, NGO press releases etc.

Thanks, Matt

Will try to do so. It's really a lot of sources but I will try to catch up.

Anything in particular anyone wants a source on or disputes please post or PM me. No offence ever taken.

#179 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

I can't possibly find every news story, blog and Facebook page I have used as a source but I can link to major sources and sources for my most recent posts.

My main source is the daily updates from Ol Maisor, Suyian, Mugie, Sosian and Kidufu, via this source. Well they don't all report daily but at least two of them report each day after they do their rounds of the properties.

https://kifukuinvasion.wordpress.com

So for e.g. Sosian and Mugie (of most interest here) I rely solely on first hand accounts - or what others say e.g. A lot of gunfire from xxxx yesterday. It gives a remarkably clear picture all together.

#180 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:28 AM

In terms of positive news and evidence that things are normal elsewhere there is the Laikipia Wildlife Forum Facebook page.

https://m.facebook.c...aWildlifeForum/

However, this is the communications team at their (well done) work and so obviously - and fairly- it focuses on the positive. It is here you wi find confirmation that e.g. Laikipa Wilderness Camp and Loisaba are operating normally, even though their locations might have given you concern.

Edited by pault, 19 April 2017 - 01:19 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, Laikipia, Migrant Herders, Kerio Valley, Baringo

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.