See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Central Kenya Ranchers Suffer from Ongoing Insecurity

Kenya Laikipia Migrant Herders Kerio Valley Baringo

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:18 AM

http://www.the-star....unjuri_c1487566

http://www.the-star....siness_c1487591

http://www.the-star....ry-and_c1487602

~ In these three articles from The Star (Nairobi) examples of ongoing insecurity in both Laikipia and Baringo counties are discussed.

Devolution Cabinet Secretary Mwangi Kiunjuri comments that migrant herders seeking water and pasture have been responsible for rising crime in Laikipia.

Private ranches in Laikipia have been going out of business due to the ongoing drought and attacks by migrant herders.

In neighboring Baringo county's Kerio Valley 5,000 children remain out of school due to banditry and ongoing famine.

• Atravelynn and jeremie like this

#2 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,856 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:31 PM

I don't like this news, even though I hit like.  Education was particularly hard hit.

Edited by Atravelynn, 19 January 2017 - 02:32 PM.

• lmonmm likes this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#3 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 PM

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:12 PM

I found another article today about this and it was very disturbing. For some reason I can't seem to cut and paste the link to the Star article. Is there some secret to copying and pasting here?

Edited by lmonmm, 19 January 2017 - 11:12 PM.

#4 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

http://www.the-star.c0.ke/news/2017/01/19/land-invasion-wrecks-laikipia  c1489820

no idea if this will work

It didn't  :(

Edited by lmonmm, 19 January 2017 - 11:41 PM.

#5 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

http://www.the-star....ikipia_c1489820

Waiting again... for the next time again

#6 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:12 AM

@Imonmm  Look at the star.co.ke part in your link... you have a zero instead of an "o". Posted it for you from my phone above.

This is escalating into something that could easily move out of General Africa Talk over the weekend. But why does only the Star seem to be reporting it?  Weird - and no doubt political - but I am not saying I doubt the reports.

@Paolo ... Ohhhhhhhhh... I see.

@madaboutcheetah

Edited by pault, 20 January 2017 - 06:35 AM.

• lmonmm likes this

#7 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,753 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

problems with cut and paste links can come from using an older version of internet explorer

I get it all the time

• lmonmm likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#8 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:27 PM

@pault  Thanks for figuring it out for me.

I was so sad to see the wildlife getting caught in the middle and worry whether any of the camps (not to mention the ranches) can survive during this. Especially if there is talk about travel advisories. It just seems to be escalating rapidly and not for the good. 

Edited by lmonmm, 20 January 2017 - 05:28 PM.

#9 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 06:01 AM

https://www.facebook...piaRealityNews/

Anyone trying to follow events in the area might want to check out this Facebook page from time to time. More than you ever wanted to know about Laikpia and its politicians but if you scroll through, you'll see that tthey have been reporting on the specific events referred to in the Star article, and more. So I imagine they will report on any further developments too.

I don't have anything like enough knowledge to make blithe predictions, but things seem sort of calmer in the areas most affected  Based on a look at a few Tripadvisor review pages (my research for you knows no limits in terms of effort) tourism is continuing at all the usual places in areas with reported incidents, with the  usual sort of eviews. Not one I could find in 10 minutes of hard work saying  "the tents are absolutely gorgeous  .This is the real wild Africa - it's so special  falling asleep to a chorus of crickets, hyenas and the occasional ram-a-tam-tam beat of semi-automatic weapons fire ".

Edited by pault, 26 January 2017 - 06:01 AM.

• madaboutcheetah, PT123, twaffle and 1 other like this

#10 lmonmm

lmonmm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:26 AM

Unfortunately there is another facebook page (and again, can't seem to cut and paste) but if you go to facebook and put in the search area     "Laikipia Land Invasions"      things are not going well at all and the wildlife is really taking a beating. The pictures are heartbreaking.

#11 pault

pault

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

https://www.facebook...=PAGES_TIMELINE

There you are @Imonmm.

Unfortunately a lot of the stuff isn't dated but since it's a lobby page (for the government to do something - and yes, they really should) that's quite understandable. Shame if it takes graphic shots of slaughtered wildlife to get people to pay attention - the dairy worked for me. (today's post). Anyway, if it has calmed down it has only claimed down in certain places and then hotted up elsewhere - that seems clear. Reading the farm diary, it seems there are some very targeted efforts at getting certain families off certain farms (rather Zimbabwe-like. I hate to say, although the government is still officially demanding a stop, so not very like).

Here is a link direct to the diary post in case you have a really slow connection. Worth reading.

https://www.facebook...ubstory_index=0
  • lmonmm and Tom Kellie like this

#12 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,477 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

~ @lmonmm and @pault

Unfortunately, where I live most major international social media Web sites are permanently blocked by the authorities in order to minimize “foreign” perspectives.

Facebook is one of the blocked sites. In fact, I've never seen Facebook.

What both of you have alluded to in your posts tends to corroborate the news articles I've posted concerning pastoralists invading property in Laikipia.

At the time when I posted the original links in this thread, and those in a similar but different thread, I felt uneasy, as my love for Kenya causes me to recoil from badmouthing any flaws it may have.

However, the seriousness of the situation as explained in the articles, and as conveyed to me in private communications from Kenyans working in central Kenya, overcame my initial hesitation.

With sorrow I read your posts and references to Facebook posts. This is all most unfortunate, as Laikipia is an area with so much natural beauty and developed conservation.

Thank you to both of you for adding this information, despite my being unable to read the original Facebook posts.

Tom K.

• lmonmm likes this

#13 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

It looks like the kenyan govt is sitting on its hands but this looks like it is spinning out of control. Sadly tourism will be hurt badly .

http://www.the-star....-lodge_c1496907

#14 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:44 PM

I'm going to Ol Malo on the 9th of February and am  not the least bit worried. The fact is that these pastoralists simply are the victims of drought; they don't have pasture to 

graze their livestock on so they have invaded a few small farms. The fact is that Laikipia is a giant area and very little of it has been invaded. it's another case where the 

media and social media have blown everything all of proportion. I'll agree that a few Kenyans may be writing things against the white land owners,however,they don't reflect

the opinions of the vast majority of Kenyans. The real problem is that so much of the most valuable land in Kenya is in the hands of a handful of landowners who don't use it for anything constructive.Kenyans of all classes,social strata,and tribes understand this very well.

Edited by optig, 30 January 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#15 douglaswise

douglaswise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 PM
  • Category 2:Researcher

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

@optig:

Did you read post # 11 in this thread (@pault)?  The information on the link given is totally at odds with your explanation that farm invasions are purely drought-driven.

#16 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

I just read it and i have to say that yes ,it is indeed a case of tribal warfare  which is an ancient rivalry,but they are feuding over water.

#17 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:51 PM

@optig

"Invaded a few small farms"??????

Two of the most affected areas are Mugie and Laikipia West (Ol Ari Nyiro), two of the largest conservancies in Laikipia (and Mugie is alongside Lewa probablr the one with the highest number of wildlife).

Then, unvaders attacked Suyan and burnt the main tourist lodge there. Suyan ranch is borders Ol Doinyo Lemboro (LWC) and it is just a stone's throw from one of the main viewpoint/lunch spots used by Steve and Annabelle Carey at LWC:

http://www.the-star....sunday_c1496907

These land invasions have relatively little to do with droughts or even tribal conflicts, and a lot to do with dirty local politics by corrupted "big men".
  • lmonmm likes this

#18 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:04 PM

@Paolo I stand corrected. I believed that Mugie was a relatively small area

I do know that it borders LWC and that Steve and Annabelle were the team who managed it.

Edited, as per details in this post.

Matt

#19 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 PM

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

@Paolo I stand corrected. I believed that Mugie was a relatively small area. . I do know that it borders LWC and that Steve and Annabelle were the team who managed it.

Actually I mentioned Suyan and not Sosian and provided the link for the same (which I notice also @Kitsafari provided). Suyan is a very well known tourist conservancy as well on the other side of Ewaso Narok in the north.

If you look at the Laikipia Map issued by the Laikipia Wildlife Forum, Mugie and Laikipia West are clearly 2 of the 3 largest ranches/conservancies. Ol Jogi the 3rd obviously enjoys far more sophisticated security and protection.

Edited, as per details in this post.

Matt

Edited by Game Warden, 02 March 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#20 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:45 PM

@Paolo is that map online somewhere do you know? If so, could you provide a link to it? One can also see where these places are in relation to each other on Google maps but interested to see the map you mentioned.

Edited by SafariChick, 30 January 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kenya, Laikipia, Migrant Herders, Kerio Valley, Baringo

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.