See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Sketches of Our Safari Year - 2016

#500elephants #ManaPools #Tswalu #Malawi #AfricanParks #Botswana #Zimbabwe #BPCT #Virunga #DRC

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#1 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts
  • Local time: 05:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

buns3.jpg

on top nyiragongo.jpg

Whilst I am not going to do any proper, fully fledged, trip report,  I thought to post something about  my  safaris with Anita in 2016. I reckon that the wide diversity of landscapes, wildlife and experiences we enjoyed was pretty unique and sort of one of a kind and hence makes sense to show it as one report.

The past year  has in fact been nothing short of fantastic for African safaris for us. We have been incredibly lucky and privileged to get some once-in-a-lifetime experiences, such us taking part in African Parks''s great elephant translocation in Malawi, or spending some days in the life of a few African Wild Dog packs in northern Botswana with Michael Lorentz and Dr. Tico McNutt, arguably the world's leading expert on these fascinating canids. We have been shivering in the cold of the early mornings of the southern Kalahari in July, and wrapped ourselves in wet kikois trying to fight the sweltering midday heat of the lower Zambezi Valley in Zimbabwe in November - the ride has been awesome, fun, soul-inspiring, humbling, moving, mind opening....you name it.

A week at Tswalu Kalahari in early/mid July delivered all the special wildlife the place is known for in spades. The service did not disappoint either. Many thanks to our guide Cameron Pearce ( who is a freelance guide invited by Tswalu to guide at times and we highly recommend him or Adrian Bantich -who was very helpful on suggestions for the trip-  for Tswalu ), our tracker Pete and the very attentive lodge management. 
We then spent a couple of delightful days in Hermanus, enjoying some early season whale watching and great food at the beautiful Birkenhead House, before moving to Northern Botswana for our wild dog-focused expedition.

For me, being exposed to Tico's and Michael's knowledge (on all sorts of wildlife/conservation/land policy matters and more) and experience, drawn out from 30 years of passionate work on the ground, in their respective capacity as researcher and safari guide, has been a true eye-opener, even for someone like me who at times presumptuously thinks to know something about conservation in Africa. I reckon that the time spent with Michael and Tico has possibly been the most informative ever in all my years of African travels (incidentally, I have now reached safari #32). Much of what we learned was quite sobering - and depicts a very worrying situation for our beloved wildlife - but at the same time, also thanks to fabulous wild dog sightings, a great atmosphere in camp, several adventures and a lot of fun (and some finest champagne courtesy of Michael for Anita's birthday) those days have really been some of the happiest. 

Similarly, participating in the elephant translocation in Liwonde (a beautiful park in its own right) was an incredible privilege, and really made us appreciate the superb and effective job that  African Parks does, on the ground conservation, a far cry from the useless hysteria often dominating on social media. The professionalism and skills of the team are beyond amazing. Just interacting  with some of the key people and hearing about their experiences was humbling. Our helicopter pilot, Frank (a senior gentleman tough as nails) has been involved in wildlife work since the 1970s and has been on extensive duty in "hot" places like Chinko in CAR and Garamba in DRC. The vets, Andre (in charge of darting the elephants from the air) and Kester (taking the lead with the ground operations and the awakening of the tranquilized elephants) have done, amongst other things,  most of the translocation restocking Tswalu as well as moving elephants and other species  to Gorongosa in Mozambique and Majete in Malawi. All nicest people to boot.

We were staunch supporters of AP after our Zakouma visits, and we are now even more so.

Mana Pools in November was really a sweet spot for us - a continuous string of good sightings, all to ourselves (in 8 days, we only shared one sighting with other people). Craig and his camp crew were superb as usual - Abel, Kismo, Tich, Shumba and Agrippa, who are now for me more than familiar faces and names after a few safaris with Craig, really went the extra mile to treat us not like clients or guests but friends and Craig's amazing bush skills were very much to the fore.

That in short was my 2016 safari year. Hopefully this year will be equally as good with 2 weeks in Zakouma (Chad) in April again with Michael Lorentz and then Kenya in September with another of our very favourite guide and friend Sean Dundas before rounding off a celebratory visit to Hermanus for my parents 50th wedding anniversary.

P.S.: Earlier in the year, Anita had an excellent trip to Virunga in DRC with Doug Macdonald and hence I am adding  some photos from that adventure too. This was her 40th birthday year, so some of the plans were made according to her wishlist and some like having Michael and Tico for a wild dog focused trip even further made the plans, dream like, none more so than when African Parks asked us in May, if we wanted to join for the elephant translocation in July. In a heartbeat, the answer was a vehement Yes, rounding off a perfect birthday year. Except for Virunga, DRC I went along with everything but did not realize how incredible it would all turn out to be, apart from having been so enjoyable as well. Now a job well done, we can focus on my Big One in just a little less than 3 years!

P.P.S.: I have put this in the Photography section as I do not want to split this country by country and it will consist almost entirely of photographs. However i am happy if its moved to any Trip Report section as long as the report is not asked to be divided. I will post updates as and when time permits.

Edited by Paolo, 15 January 2017 - 12:49 PM.

• Atravelynn, PT123, ld1 and 24 others like this

#2 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Sketches of Tswalu-July 2016

aardvark1.jpg

aardvark-closeup.jpg

aardvark-sleeping.jpg

leopard-cub-prowl.jpg

leopard-cub-tswalu1.jpg

male-lion.jpg

merkats.jpg

pangolin2.jpg

rhino-bw1.jpg

rhino-bw2.jpg

rhino-bw3.jpg

young-male-lion.jpg

• Atravelynn, ZaminOz, PT123 and 42 others like this

#3 Caracal

Caracal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

Amazing @Paolo - this is wonderful - beautiful photos of incredible sightings in a year that was obviously filled with all manner of amazing experiences.

I can confidently say that I'm speaking for many when saying that I hope time permits for many and frequent updates. The more the better.

• Paolo and Anita like this
"Moments that touch the soul are always short but they echo pleasantly afterwards"
Stephen Pern - Another Land, Another Sea Walking round Lake Rudolph.

#4 Kitsafari

Kitsafari

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,814 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:39 AM

Fabulous to see you here. We have missed you. Its going to one heck of a great report in pictures, just based on these early photos. Very excited to hear more!
  • Paolo, Anita and optig like this

#5 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local time: 04:22 AM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:45 PM

Good to see this here @Paolo and to share in your adventures and Anita's great photography.

#6 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,891 posts
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:33 PM

Happy to have another TM Paolo report (even a "light" one) after too long - and some stellar @Anita photography. All fantastic shots, but the third Aardvark picture is just extraordinary.

#7 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:41 PM

Welcome back to Safaritalk @Paolo and @Anita. Look forward to learning about your adventures and incredible experiences on Safari. Thanks for sharing this and a happy New Year to both of you.

#8 AKR1

AKR1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

@Anita, the brokeh in the meerkat picture and the monochromatic rhino shots are just stunning.
  • Paolo, Anita and AmyT like this

#9 PT123

PT123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

What a great year @Paolo - I look forward to seeing/reading more. It's good to hear that after 32 safaris you still have a sense of learning and enjoyment.

#10 jeremie

jeremie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 15 January 2017 - 05:13 PM

Anita has a real talent for taking pictures! Congratulations these pictures are absolutely amazing!

Thank you Paolo for sharing these journeys! Really nice and quality trips.

#11 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,856 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2017 - 06:14 PM

Sketches of Tswalu-July 2016 has me wide eyed with dropped jaw.  You had a wonderful 2016 to "ring out."

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#12 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 PM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:00 PM

@Paolo I have to say that I just love your photos of Tswalu Kalahari. I'm ecstastic that you saw a pangolin,as well as an aardvark. I can't wait until I go in September.

• Paolo likes this

#13 Africalover

Africalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:06 PM

Paolo- great to see you are more active on ST. As allways your contribution and knowledge is outstanding. Such great photos.

#14 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:00 AM

Thanks everybody for the kind comments.

I'm ecstastic that you saw a pangolin,as well as an aardvark.

Actually, throughout our stay at Tswalu we saw 6 aardvarks and 4 pangolins.

The ardvaarks shown in the photos in post#2 are all different animals.

• PT123, Anita, AndyH1000 and 2 others like this

#15 Zim Girl

Zim Girl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:18 PM

@Paolo and @Anita

Such an amazing Safari year for you both - all wonderful adventures.  

All brilliant photos, more please!!

#16 Towlersonsafari

Towlersonsafari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:48 PM

I can't stop smiling after seeing the Aardvark pictures and to imagine being there and spotting a pangolin looking rather like the white rabbit, just checking its pocket watch before heading down the hole! but of course  all the  photos are splendid!

#17 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

I hope that when I go to Tswalu  Kalahari and get truly luck: I'll see caracal, zorilla, and cape fox. Of course I'll be delighted with everything that I see.

#18 Paolo

Paolo

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:02 PM

More photos of Aardvark and Pangolin.....

These creatures are notoriously a "special" of the Southern Kalahari. The freezing conditions during mid winter(from the end of June to early August)  cause them to be much  less nocturnal than their normal habits, and guides and trackers at Tswalu have really refined the art of tracking and finding them. As mentioned, we saw 6 different aardvarks (including one taking a power nap!) and 4 different pangolins during our stay. All our encounters were on foot.

aardvark01.jpg

aardvark02.jpg

aardvark03.jpg

aardvark04.jpg

aardvark05.jpg

aardvark06.jpg

aardvark07.jpg

aardvark08.jpg

aardvark09.jpg

aardvark10.jpg

aardvark11.jpg

aardvark12.jpg

aardvark13.jpg

pangolin01.jpg

pangolin02.jpg

pangolin03.jpg

pangolin04.jpg

pangolin05.jpg

• Atravelynn, mvecht, PT123 and 32 others like this

#19 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 04:45 PM

@Paolo I never realized before that aardvark were so cute. I also have to say that your photos of the pangolin are just fabulous. I just love that your photos show just how beautiful is the red sand of the Kalahari desert.

Edited by optig, 17 January 2017 - 04:55 PM.

• Paolo likes this

#20 Africalover

Africalover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:50 PM

@Paolo - Absolutely fantastic photos. Paolo you have been more so less everywhere in Africa - in wildest Africa. What do you think about the fact that lions are separated from the largest part of the reserve?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #500elephants, #ManaPools, #Tswalu, #Malawi, #AfricanParks, #Botswana, #Zimbabwe, #BPCT, #Virunga, #DRC

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.