Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

Well @@Dave Williams, good to see you joined the Big Year 2017! A lot of really good shots already and now you're moving to Namibia, so undoubtedly more to come. I've just returned from a trip to South Africa and a little bit of Namibia, so it's good to feel some of the warmth over there through your photos. Keep them coming, please, with your interesting extra tidbits of info on the bird or the shooting. Are you going to do a blog on Nambia?

Dave Williams

@@PeterHG Thanks for the comment. Yes, I will write a blog about my visit to Namibia but I only got home 48 hours ago with a mountain of things to do! Nearly all the birds I saw were 'lifers' so I know little of them but where appropriate I'll add a comment or two. For the fun of the game I might be adding some poorer shots too, unlike being at home I won't get a second chance, well not this year anyway.

Dave Williams

22) From the back garden this evening, a Sparrowhawk. Fairly common garden visitors as bird feeders are so popular in the UK.

33218910301_058309aa8e_b.jpgSparrowhawk Accipiter Nisus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Great shot af that Sparrowhawk ( yes, I am brushing up my Latin, before starting with my own Big Year;)) from your garden, @@Dave Willams! And that with a shutter speed of 1/13th!

Dave Williams

Great shot af that Sparrowhawk ( yes, I am brushing up my Latin, before starting with my own Big Year;)) from your garden, @@Dave Willams! And that with a shutter speed of 1/13th!

The light was fading fast so in order to keep the ISO and the consequent noise levels down I opted for a ridiculously silly shutter speed for wildlife. I wedged the lens against the window frame ( this is our bathroom again!) and took a lot of shots. Some were hopeless as the bird was looking from side to side following the birds tweets however, sometimes the bird was so intent on looking it was perfectly motionless!

Dave Williams

Time to catch up on some Namibian species, I'll be interested to see what the final number ends up!

23)Bearded Woodpecker Erongo

33280266525_245c86b421_b.jpgBearded Woodpecker Dendropicos Namaquus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams