Dave Williams Big Year 2017

Dave Williams

Dave Williams
4 minutes ago, xelas said:

Wonderful kingfisher, @Dave Williams! The extender did a great job, and at almost 840 mm and hide, there was not much cropping, if any at all??

@xelas Maybe nearer 30 than 40 feet. Let's be European (:rolleyes: :wacko:)and say 10 metres!

Uncropped.jpg

Well, I was wrong! That says at least 50% of crop; like using a crop body. The big pixels of a full frame sensor performed an excellent job. No need to say anything about your glad. One more question: supported, and if yes, on what?

Dave Williams
7 minutes ago, xelas said:

Well, I was wrong! That says at least 50% of crop; like using a crop body. The big pixels of a full frame sensor performed an excellent job. No need to say anything about your glad. One more question: supported, and if yes, on what?

@xelas Not sure what "glad" was meant to read Alex?

I was using a bean bag on the window sill, not ideal but there isn't room for a tripod and I don't have an alternative clamp style attachment. 

Peter Connan

Beautiful shot of a beautiful bird!

Hear Hear. Indeed I like them all. 300 in sight!

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

@xelas Not sure what "glad" was meant to read Alex?

"glad" was meant to read "glass" = lens. But maybe my subconscious knew I would be very glad to have your glass :rolleyes:!

15 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

289) Common Kingfisher  Alcedo atthis

Enjoying a prawn cocktail!

36261549912_3d10349447_b.jpgCommon Kingfisher by Dave Williams, on Flickr

gorgeous photo @Dave Williams It seems insulting to refer to this as a 'common' kingfisher. Every bit as beautiful as the African ones.

On 08/08/2017 at 6:07 PM, Dave Williams said:

@xelas Maybe nearer 30 than 40 feet. Let's be European (:rolleyes: :wacko:)and say 10 metres!

Uncropped.jpg

At the risk of being called a pixel peeping nerd, this is not the same shot as your cropped photo Mr Williams.

Dave Williams

@Soukous I've been found out ! It was the frame before I think.

I went back today in the hope of better light and the perch is actually about 40 feet from the hide.

Peter Connan
9 hours ago, Soukous said:

At the risk of being called a pixel peeping nerd, this is not the same shot as your cropped photo Mr Williams.

I thought that was the point, as he was trying to show Alex how much he had cropped @Soukous?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great photo of a Lapwing, a bird that gives me hard time to nail it properly.

Dave Williams

@xelas  Very easy at our local reserve Alex;).

Peter Connan

That there Lapwing, under good light, makes a decent contender for the Supermodel thread Dave!

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Williams

Tempted though I am, I won't count this one. I found him in the kitchen and had to chase him out. He's a racing pigeon and he's way off course. Released on Saturday from Epsom, south of London he should have gone directly west to South Wales but instead arrived in North Wales having added an extra 100 miles on his route. He's ( or is it she's?) sitting outside the back door now waiting to nip inside again. Her owner will ring on Wednesday and if the bird is still here he's going to arrange for a courier to pick it up.

This bird certainly appreciates all the comforts of life!

Racing Pigeon.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

Dave Williams

291) Peregrine Falcon - Falco peregrinus  Well we still have our visiting guest, the wayward racing pigeon, and he won't be leaving soon if the two Peregrines start flying over the garden again on a regular basis. First time I have seen them in ages so may be I should thank Percy the Pigeon for another tick for my BY. However, at this rate I won't hit 300 this year!

BH2I7160.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

The one you did add is a stunner!

293) Artic Skua  Stercorarius parasiticus

Out in the Irish Sea between Dublin and Holyhead,N.Wales. yesterday.

Taken from the bridge of the Stenna Superfast so not the easiest through glass.

BH2I7540.jpg

294) Leach's Petrel  Oceanodroma leucorhoa

At a certain time of the year and with the wind blowing in the right direction you get to see these little beauties right on the shore line.

Today was that day!

36831829060_f3c8dd26e2_b.jpgLeach's Petrel  Oceanodroma leucorhoa by Dave Williams, on Flickr

295) Grey Phalarope which is also known as a Red Phalarope when it's in breeding plumage.

Another bird blown in to the River Mersey estuary by the recent gales across the Irish Sea

36406951734_6da2984738_b.jpgGrey Phalarope   Phalaropus fulicarius by Dave Williams, on Flickr

What a terrific shot of the Leach's Petrel. I've never even seen one! That Phalarope is a beauty, too @Dave Williams

296) European Goldfinch   Carduelis carduelis.    A common bird but one we rarely see in our garden yet they are common 100m away in a friend's.

37117323596_a579a954d9_b.jpgGoldfinch   Carduelis carduelis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

These were seen at our local RSPB reserve this afternoon.

36910405810_066981ae4b_b.jpgGoldfinch   Carduelis carduelis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

297) Eurasian Teal  Anas crecca

37165612711_560690a6c9_b.jpgEurasian Teal  Anas crecca by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Starting to re-appear at our local reserve having returned from their summer breeding grounds further north.

This one obligingly stood up to feed instead of swimming along with it's head under the water!

37165612231_6349e7a7b4_b.jpgEurasian Teal  Anas crecca by Dave Williams, on Flickr

298) Long-tailed Tit. I have just seen some flying over the garden for the first time in months, then I realised I already had a shot I could add to my B.Y. taken in February.

I crawl slowly onwards towards 300!!

37156574716_8695a9b345_b.jpgLong-tailed Tit     Aegithalos caudatus by Dave Williams, on Flickr