See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Jouberts held up at gunpoint in SA

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

@amybatt - Whilst it isn't the classic apples / apples comparison ........... I still think the US is a similar situation.  For example., with the free access of guns to the wrong people (whatever reason) you could simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time (AS A TOURIST) - any public place for that matter!

I do not know if the issue is accentuated in recent years by more media coverage? or has it become a problem in more recent years....... 

First glad the Jouberts are safe and sound.   They are a valuable resource for all of Africa.

Second why does everyone compare every country to the USA?   Honestly you have to look at murders per 100,000 people.  USA is ranked #109 out of 218 countries....South Africa is #9!

Population:

SA = 54 million = 33-37 murders per 100,000 people = a very dangerous country!  It was a lot higher 10 years ago...almost 70 per 100,000.  So congrats on making things a little safer.

USA = 350 million = 3-5 murders per 100,000 people = safe country   Could you imagine if the world news covered the murders that happened on a daily basis in South Africa...

Another example would be California which is almost the same size as South Africa.

CA = 41 million = 4 murders per 100,000 people = safe state.

Lets look at India...

India = 1.3 Billion = 3.2 murders per 100,000 people.

Also keep in mind that both India, CA and South Africa have very strict gun laws vs the USA overall (contrary to popular belief we do go through a background checks to legally purchase guns).   There is also data on the exact murders based on race and legal vs illegal guns, I am not going to get into that on this site.

Edited by SSF556, 23 January 2017 - 06:52 PM.

• dinkdunk likes this

#22 madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 10,161 posts
  • Local time: 03:37 PM
  • Category 2:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:55 AM

This thread is gun specific isn't it?  For example., I don't think going into a Walgreens or Target or WAWA is without risk in today's USA....... 

www.facebook.com/madaboutcheetah

Botswana in my blood .......

#23 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:46 PM

This thread is gun specific isn't it?  For example., I don't think going into a Walgreens or Target or WAWA is without risk in today's USA....... 

What are you talking about?   Again the data supports the fact that the USA is a very safe country to live in.   Everything involves a risk.   Of course there are places in the USA that are sketchy, but I have lived in the USA for 41 years and have travelled to all the big cities, my inlaws live outside of Detroit MI.    I have never seen or been involved in any gun related incident, neither has my wife, or my family or her family.  Same things with my friends.  I have been traveling to Miami and Detroit for work for the last 10 years...no issues.   Does the guy working at a liquor store in a sketchy part of town increase his odds of being involved in a crime..of course.  But that is the case in Mumbai, London, Chicago or Melbourne.    There are a number of stereotypes about every country and the news from the USA gets plastered all over the world.  When was the last time we saw a CNN news story on Zimbabwe or Honduras?  Stereotyping is dangerous...for instance if I watched Slumdog Millionaire and I lived under a rock I would think every kid in India grows up in a slum and hides in the crapper.    Does that happen yes..but is that the case for every kid in India...No.   

Edited by SSF556, 24 January 2017 - 04:52 PM.

• optig likes this

#24 dinkdunk

dinkdunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, the USA is really quite safe despite what you hear from politicians and news coverage.

While we have a lot of guns in comparison to other countries, suicide tops the list of firearm related deaths. 

As far as Kenya goes, you're much more likely to die in a traffic accident or from Malaria than violence.  It appears to be about on par with the USA as far as violence related deaths go.

South Africa is another story - violent crime is pretty bad there.  And N=1, I know, but I wandered around Cape Town on vacation with two other women about 4 years ago with no issues.  Be smart about where/when you go out.

worldlifeexpectancy.com

• optig likes this

#25 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:43 PM

That is my point about South Africa like everywhere is safe in many places. It's quite rare that tourists are the victims of violent crimes. I  noticed myself 

when I was last in Saxonwald, a beautiful suburb of Johannesburg that the risk of home invasion had fallen considerably. This was seen in the trial of Oscar 

Pistorius that the compound where he lived was a fortress. He lived in a compound with 12 feet tall electrified fences, cctv. and guards who were armed with automatic 

rifles.

#26 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,977 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 24 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

@dinkdunk Your'e absolutely right about Kenya. We'll all agree that there are places in South Africa where crime is horrendous,but tourist areas

are quite safe.

#27 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, the USA is really quite safe despite what you hear from politicians and news coverage.

While we have a lot of guns in comparison to other countries, suicide tops the list of firearm related deaths. 

As far as Kenya goes, you're much more likely to die in a traffic accident or from Malaria than violence.  It appears to be about on par with the USA as far as violence related deaths go.

South Africa is another story - violent crime is pretty bad there.  And N=1, I know, but I wandered around Cape Town on vacation with two other women about 4 years ago with no issues.  Be smart about where/when you go out.

worldlifeexpectancy.com

Great points about traffic accidents....reality is the most dangerous thing my wife and I did last year was probably getting in a cab at 9:30pm outside the Nairobi airport and being transported to the Giraffe Manor.   

• optig likes this

#28 SSF556

SSF556

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

That is my point about South Africa like everywhere is safe in many places. It's quite rare that tourists are the victims of violent crimes. I  noticed myself 

when I was last in Saxonwald, a beautiful suburb of Johannesburg that the risk of home invasion had fallen considerably. This was seen in the trial of Oscar 

Pistorius that the compound where he lived was a fortress. He lived in a compound with 12 feet tall electrified fences, cctv. and guards who were armed with automatic 

rifles.

There is a reason why almost 100% of business and homes in South Africa are behind steel bars, gates and barbed wire.   

Edited by SSF556, 24 January 2017 - 06:17 PM.

• optig likes this

#29 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Local time: 03:37 PM

Posted 03 February 2017 - 11:22 AM

Thank you for the responses. If it's anywhere as safe as Dayton or other cities mentioned, I'm more than fine. But, like I said folks who've lived there and here were advising me how unsafe it is. I am glad you guys chimed in, as I do feel better.
I never worry about this, but my wife got a ear full from our relatives who've lived there over Christmas. She is a scardy cat and I of course reassured here. This report made me doubt it. Thanks!

@Gilgamesh Also going in September. Will just be as sensible in Kenya as we are here in sleepy Cornwall and anywhere else in the world. Have a great time. I know we will :) Pen

Edited by penolva, 03 February 2017 - 11:28 AM.

• optig likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.