Tdgraves

Tdgraves big(gest?) year 2017

382 posts in this topic

@Dave Williams I already have it set on 3m to infinity and change to adjacent point focussing from single fine point when I have time, but I still find it so slow....

I agree with @Dave Williams's thoughts on the combo. Slower, yes, but still quite usable for flight shots of bigger birds with the 7d2. I do prefer the bare lens for bif, of course, but still....

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/Birds-in-flight-1/i-2fV4MQC/0/968ed6b7/XL/7D2_7479-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Birds/Birds-in-flight-1/i-LvmM8bM/0/e395835d/XL/7D2_3757-XL.jpg

I'm with you @Tdgraves that one tends to use it for birds/subjects that are too far away really to get any good shot and then it could feel as a bit of a let-down. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Apologies for interrupting the BY flow again, but just in case it helps, have you looked at your AF menu, second page and set the priority to focus rather than speed? 

I know lots of people go to the expanded centre point for BIF but personally I either stick with one or go for the lot when the subject is small and the background is clear such as Swallows in the sky.

Edited by Dave Williams
2 people like this

Thanks @Dave Williams I'll try that - I have always had it set on balanced

1 person likes this

Just saw my first wren in the garden for over a year. Posed beautifully on a branch with berries on, about 3M in front of me. Only problem? No camera....☹️ Vanished after I got it from inside the house

3 people like this

On 28/08/2017 at 5:23 PM, Tdgraves said:

Just saw my first wren in the garden for over a year. Posed beautifully on a branch with berries on, about 3M in front of me. Only problem? No camera....☹️ Vanished after I got it from inside the house

Always the way!!!

2 people like this

It's gone quiet in Cambridgeshire I see! My visit to Surrey and Cambridge last week taking in RSPB North Warren and Sandy produced a big fat zero too!