See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Only 7100 cheetahs remaining

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zubbie15

Zubbie15

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Local time: 01:58 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:10 PM

A new study out from ZSL, WCS and Panthera has determined that there are roughly 7100 cheetahs remaining in the wild. There are some pretty sobering statistics there, such as the suggestion that Zimbabwe has had a 85% decrease in numbers over the past 15 years. See more at the following links:

https://www.panthera...-crash-globally

https://www.panthera...ps_Panthera.pdf
  • Atravelynn likes this

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 03:58 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:00 AM

people need better returns and a better compensation for loss of livestock

• Atravelynn and Zubbie15 like this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,952 posts
  • Local time: 12:58 PM

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:27 AM

This latest info made it into many local news sources.  That's good, at least, plight of the cheetah is being made known in wider circles.

:( :(

• pault and Zubbie15 like this
When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#4 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 03:12 AM

biodiversity  is not doing well 

in serious decline  rhinos,elephasnts,tigers,cheetahs,bears,,the entire  IUCN  red list  and  with dams,logging,soy ,oil ,the entire Amazon is at risk

the world has to do better, the planet is not a resource extraction reserve for the elite with a bit of trickle down

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 28 December 2016 - 03:15 AM.

• Atravelynn and Zubbie15 like this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#5 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  • Local time: 07:58 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:33 PM

Here the link to the original article: LINK

Every time researcher look a bit deeper into world-wide population they find that populations are (much) lower than thought. Of course they will only look into species about which there is a reason to be concerned about in the first place, but it's worrying nonetheless. Recently this came to light with leopards, and now with cheetahs.

In all the populations included in the paper only one (1!) was thought to be stable or increasing (3 others thought to be stable, all the other declining or unknown). The one population thought to be increasing is a small population (Liuwa).

• inyathi and Zubbie15 like this

#6 optig

optig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local time: 09:58 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

At least Zimbabwe is no longer allowing cheetah hunting. To my knowledge it's only Namibia whish is currently allowing it. I've known for quite a while that the cheetah was an endangered species,however, there's a tendancy by both the conservationists

and the hunters to exaggerate.

• Zubbie15 likes this

#7 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:28 AM

people need better returns and a better compensation for loss of livestock

Only if their husbandry practices have a certain standard.

#8 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

At least Zimbabwe is no longer allowing cheetah hunting. To my knowledge it's only Namibia whish is currently allowing it. I've known for quite a while that the cheetah was an endangered species,however, there's a tendancy by both the conservationists

and the hunters to exaggerate.

Yes, only Namibia allows the hunting of cheetahs, many farmers still persecute as vermin. The US won't allow importation of cheetah trophies though.

#9 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

TIME  MAGAZINE is reporting that the united arab emerites  has just banned the keeping of wild animals as pets

anyone who is seen in public with them gets up to 6 months in jail and /or a fine of up to USD 136,000

I am not sure if this is a reaction to the scientific report on cheetahs or to images  people  posted on social media with cheetahs on car boots, lions riding in cars and tigers walking through crowded traffic 

this is not safe

sorry, I can't do links the story is called  KEEPING CHEETAHS AND OTHER WILD ANIMALS AS PETS IS NOW ILLEGAK IN THE UAE and  it mentions the GULF NEWS as a source

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.