See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Calling all self-driving experts - how does this route look?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thanks @luangwablondes - I'll look into it more thoroughly, and we might have to play it by ear by the time we get to that point (which should be the end of April). My plan is to only have the SA and Botswana parts booked so we can adjust to road conditions and any other things that may come up at the time.

"Don't cry because it is over.  Smile because it happened" - Dr Suess

https://www.facebook...roughJuliesLens

#22 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

Hi Julie who are you hiring your 4x4 from? It's an epic trip looking forward to the trip report! Pen

#23 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:01 PM

Hi Julie who are you hiring your 4x4 from? It's an epic trip looking forward to the trip report! Pen

Not sure yet but we're looking at a Bushcamper from Bushlore, or Avis have an awesome looking Ford Ranger which is really well kitted out. Waiting on quotes.
  • penolva likes this

#24 Tdgraves

Tdgraves

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,862 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

@JulieM Avis won't let you take a vehicle into Zimbabwe

#25 luangwablondes

luangwablondes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM
  • Category 2:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

For the countries you are visiting, Bushlore has loads of experience and very good backup. Avis is one of the newer players to this.

• JulieM likes this

#26 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

@JulieM Avis won't let you take a vehicle into Zimbabwe

Really?  See there's a reason I post questions on this forum - so many things to learn!!  Thank you.

#27 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:17 AM

@JulieM this looks like a fabulous trip, whereabouts are your planned overnight stops in Northern Zambia or am I too early with this detail question? I expect to be there myself in July-August 2018 and have overnights at Kapishya and Mutinondo before moving on to Lusaka and Kafue, finishing at Vic Falls.

We aren't brave enough to self-drive though!

Your trip looks fantastic, are you including any time in Ruaha before leaving Tanzania?

• JulieM likes this
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#28 hubertj

hubertj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

Hello @JulieM It looks like an epic trip. It surely takes a lot of detailed planning, and preparations but at the end I'm sure it will be a great adventure.

Regarding your rental - we had a Bushcamper Hilux from Bushlore on our Zimbabwe & Zambia trip. If you would like to know any details about the vehicle - please let me know.

• JulieM likes this

#29 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

@JulieM this looks like a fabulous trip, whereabouts are your planned overnight stops in Northern Zambia or am I too early with this detail question? I expect to be there myself in July-August 2018 and have overnights at Kapishya and Mutinondo before moving on to Lusaka and Kafue, finishing at Vic Falls.

We aren't brave enough to self-drive though!

Your trip looks fantastic, are you including any time in Ruaha before leaving Tanzania?

Hi @Treepol - at this stage we are planning a few days each at the Bangweulu Wetlands, Mutinondo and Kapishya before heading in to Malawi. We'll be there in early May. We won't make it to Ruaha - maybe next time! How are you travelling? With a guide or on a tour?

#30 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:15 AM

Hello @JulieM It looks like an epic trip. It surely takes a lot of detailed planning, and preparations but at the end I'm sure it will be a great adventure.
Regarding your rental - we had a Bushcamper Hilux from Bushlore on our Zimbabwe & Zambia trip. If you would like to know any details about the vehicle - please let me know.

Thanks @hubertj - were you happy with the Bushcamper? It looks great, although the fridge seems small.

#31 Treepol

Treepol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

@JulieM we are travelling with a guide, pickup in Ruaha then thru' northern Zambia south to Livingstone via Kafue.

Hoping for Shoebill in Uganda at Mbamba Swamp and Murchison Falls NP as we will be too late for Banguwelu sightings.

Edited by Treepol, 02 January 2017 - 11:04 AM.

• JulieM likes this
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

#32 hubertj

hubertj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:Wildlife Photographer/Artist

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:03 PM

Julie, the fridge is a standard one, 40L. I don't think they offer any bigger in any of their vehicle setups. For us this size was just ok. Only problem with the fridge we had was that we had to clean it every few days, as some eggs, or beer bottles were getting broken constantly on the bumpy roads :)

If you are traveling as a couple, I can recommend 'Bushcamper' setup. It is really comfortable for 2 people. Theoretically there is also third place for sleeping on the lower level, but it is only suitable for a child or someone really short (we used this area as the luggage space). In my opinion the best thing in Bushcamper is the tent: erecting & foldng takes only seconds, and you don't have to remove sleeping bags and pillows before folding.  It's great improvement over the standard tent, and it saves you lot's of time and hassle. Also access to the camping equipment and the fridge is very convenient, much easier comparing to the standard setup. You also have built-in easy-awning, but i don't think you will use it a lot if you plan to drive a lot.

Our vehicle already had 160.000kms on the odometer, but technically it was perfect - no problem with the engine or suspension (we tested it really hard on some rocky and bumpy roads in Zambia, but it survived without any issues). The camping equipment was a little bit dated, and there was some minor wear & tear damages inside the driver's cabin, but we could live with it.

Edited by hubertj, 02 January 2017 - 10:03 PM.

• JulieM likes this

#33 penolva

penolva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:25 AM

Not sure yet but we're looking at a Bushcamper from Bushlore, or Avis have an awesome looking Ford Ranger which is really well kitted out. Waiting on quotes.
Great choices. I can recommend Bushlore very well equipped for the distance and conditions you will encounter. They will supply cool boxes to supplement the fridge. We take our own large Coleman cooler , using ice and cheap silver survival sheets, and use the fridge as a freezer. Pen

Edited by penolva, 03 January 2017 - 12:30 AM.

• JulieM likes this

#34 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

Great tips and info thanks @hubertj and @penolva

#35 Peter Connan

Peter Connan

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,074 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM
  • Category 1:Resident in Africa/Former resident

Posted 06 January 2017 - 12:31 PM

@JulieM, sorry, I have been away.

I don't know if it is still of interest. I have been to both Lesotho and Swaziland. For me, Lesotho was a big let-down. The locals seem to have killed every natural thing in the country. As a 4x4 destination, it offers some challenges, but these should only be tackled as a group. As a nature destination, I found it very disapointing.

Swaziland is much better, and could be worth a visit.

However, yhour new route looks much better to me.

Ek oefen skelm.

#36 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

Thanks @Peter Connan - I'm glad you like the new route. We'll save Swaziland for another trip.
  • Peter Connan likes this

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.