See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Rwanda e-Visa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:26 PM

Has anyone successfully applied for the Rwandan single entry visa online?  I know I don't have to have it ahead of time, but I really don't want to deal with it when we land after 24 hours in transit.  I've tried on three different internet browsers today, and the whole thing times out when I upload the PDF of my passport, never to restore.  Any tips?

#2 JulieM

JulieM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Local time: 01:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:45 PM

I got the East Africa Visa online without any trouble - not sure what's happening with your Rwandan visa.

"Don't cry because it is over.  Smile because it happened" - Dr Suess

https://www.facebook...roughJuliesLens

#3 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 04:36 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 22 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

No problems when I was applying last month, worked very smoothly.

#4 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,589 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:26 PM

Oh good idea to start thinking about this @amybatt - and I guess I should start thinking about this so I hope you don't mind if I piggyback on this thread. Husband and I will be going to three countries within 12 days (Ethiopia, Rwanda, Kenya) leaving in about 6 weeks. Would the East Africa visa work for all three, @JulieM do you know? Would it be easier and more economical to get that vs. three separate ones? And how do I go about it? I am clueless!

#5 michael-ibk

michael-ibk

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 3,825 posts
  • Local time: 04:36 AM
  • Category 2:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:48 PM

East Africa is valid for Rwanda and Kenya but not for Ethiopia. Actually two Single entry visas are cheaper than one EA visum (which is also valid for Uganda and Burundi). Visa on arrival is still ok in Kenya, and Ethiopia offers on arrival as well. So I would do online for Rwanda and on arrival in the other two. In Nairobi the on arrival queue moved faster than the evisa one.
  • SafariChick likes this

#6 amybatt

amybatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Local time: 11:36 PM

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:42 PM

@SafariChick, if you get the online form for Rwanda to work, can you let me know?

#7 SafariChick

SafariChick

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,589 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:25 AM

@michael-ibk thanks, you are a wealth of information! @amybatt yes, I will!

#8 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM

Posted 27 January 2017 - 03:32 PM

We transit through Kenya (NBO) coming and going.

We transit through Rwanda on our way to the DRC but stay for a while on our way back. 

In the DRC we'll spend all but transit time in Virunga NP.

We could have applied for the EAV but ran into two issues.  First is we interpret the rules to say the VISA needs to be secured from the country through which we arrive.  In our case Kenya.  Unfortunately, the EAV application through Kenya is not active.  Second is the EAV is good for multiple entries within the 3 countries.  We didn't read any official information but did read some reports of people that left the 3 country block and then were required to pay upon re-entry.  The EAV would only save us $25 each vs applying and paying for individual transit and tourist VISAs.  For these reasons we decided to go with individual VISAs.

Applying for and receiving our Kenya VISAs was very simple.  We have e-citizen accounts from our previous applications.  This time, when applying, we received confirmations at the time we paid.  There was no lag time.

Applying for our Rwanda VISAs required a little more attention.  The online application is pretty straight forward.  You have the option to apply and pay online.  We opted to apply but pay in person.  We applied for Single Entry 3 day transit VISAs for KGL to Gisenyi/Goma.  We applied for Single Entry 30  day VISAs for our return.  Upon application we received almost instantaneous confirmation of application.  Within 24 hours we'd received emails for our 30 day VISAs stating "Kindly be informed that you shall get entry visa upon arrival and pay at any Rwanda entry point without prior application..."  That seems to fit with most of what we have read.  We also received a scan of my VISA with bar code and Seal for the 3 day transit VISA.  But, we did not receive anything for T.  They suggest waiting 3 days.  We waited a week and then used their online tracking which simply said information would be available shortly.  Per their instructions, we sent an email asking for a status update.  Within 24 hours we had her VISA with bar code and Seal.  While a little wonky, the process has worked so far.

We used the simplified VISA application process through Virunga NP for the DRC.  All we know at this time is that our applications have been sent through to Kinshasa.  We'll follow up today or Monday.  We leave next Thursday so hope to have something a little more solid before leaving.  That said, we're not the least bit concerned as everything we've read about the staff at Virunga says they have everything well in hand.  As well, they will be meeting us at the boarder.

Need to start thinking about packing...

• optig likes this

#9 GBE

GBE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 07:36 PM

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:39 AM

Rwanda VISA follow up - Easy apply online and pay on arrival at Kigali for the transit VISA.  Two step process isn't quite obvious but simple enough as the pay counter is next to the clearance counter.  In fact, they pass your passport and pay receipt directly to the clearance officer.  

The Single Entry application online is not necessary.  Onsite there is no application to fill out, just say you want a single entry.  When we showed the officer the reply email and our application he seemed confused and annoyed.  He said we didn't need to apply, that all we needed to do was pay.  At the Gisenyi/Goma border the pay line is around the corner, so there is the queuing for the VISA request, queuing to pay, and re-queuing to pick up stamped passport.  Kind of goofy but still only took 5 -10 minutes.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.