See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

MALARIA DISCUSSION

TREATMENT NEWS RESEARCH treatment research news

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts
  • Local time: 07:52 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:26 AM

malaria is a very serious disease which kills 500,000 people per year

both effective treatment and prevention are difficult

the insects are increasingly resisting  chemical sprays  and the disease resisting medication  

SCIENCEDAILY reports   that some  Harvard  university scientists are trying a new approach  ,hormonal blocking

please  see  http://www.scienceda...1215143549.html 15  dec  BLOCKING HORMONAL ACTIVITY IN MOSQUITOES COULD HELP REDUCE MALARIA SPREAD

mosquitoes  when treated with a hormone had shorter lives, fewer eggs  and the development of the plasmodium parasites

it is the parasite that cause malaria

modeling suggests that it could be as effective for infection  control as insecticide 

some of the researchers have applied for patents 

if this works it would be great  to have insects controlled without spraying chemicals

the work was  funded by the national institutes of health, the European community and the gates foundation

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 20 December 2016 - 07:13 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#2 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

I have heard on a BBC radio report that the origin of resistance to artemisian  comes from very cheap generic drugs sold in Laos with as little as 1% active indegrient 

it is not strong enough to be  effective, but has enough in it for the insects to become used to it , and compromise the proper use of this compound

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#3 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

university of Texas research  shows that an increased consumption of protein , and RAW fruit and veg can lessen the cardiac and muscular impact of mild cases  malaria

please see  http://www.sciencedaily.com  go to health then malaria   12 JAN   EXERCISE,DIET COULD OFFSET EFFECTS OF MALARIA

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 16 January 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#4 taylorqobrien

taylorqobrien

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 04:52 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:09 AM

I have heard on a BBC radio report that the origin of resistance to artemisian  comes from very cheap generic drugs sold in Laos with as little as 1% active indegrient 

it is not strong enough to be  effective, but has enough in it for the insects to become used to it , and compromise the proper use of this compound

Regardless of the origin, this is one of the ways that resistance occurs! So maddening!

#5 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:56 AM

there is some promising research into the bark of  2 west African varieties of citrus trees

it appears to be able to kill both the insects and the parasite

however, progress may be limited  as

• the market is mainly from poorer nations
  • research has been published in publically available journals, so it is harder to get a patent
  • under the convention for biological diversity rights for commercial development are given to where the plants come from  

please see http://www.sciencedaily/com  AFRICAN TREES KILL BOTH MALARIA MOSQUITOS AND THE PARASITE dated 27 JAN 2017

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 30 January 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:37 AM

it turns out that malaria carrying misquitos are now resistant to both DDT and pyrethium.

this happened by the use of treated nets hung over beds

time to consider repellant options

#7 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,430 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

it turns out that malaria carrying misquitos are now resistant to both DDT and pyrethium.

this happened by the use of treated nets hung over beds

@COSMIC RHINO can you provide the link to the research that showed this and........... is this about Africa, India or Worldwide. I would guess that local populations are developing resistance in different ways and to different drugs.

so reading the research papers conclusions would be very helpful.

#8 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:07 AM

an excellent source of information  can be found  at  http://www.sciencedaily.com on many things including medicine and environmental issues.

the research on  insect resistance to sprays   was done at the Liverpool tropical medicine school and published open access in PLOS 

the use of insect spray treated bed nets created this problem in Africa

the sciencedaily report notes that the resistance is less with the southern African bugs

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 10 February 2017 - 07:17 AM.

#9 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:19 AM

for the study please see  https://www.scienced...0202141920.html

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 10 February 2017 - 07:30 AM.

#10 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

on DDT  please see https://www.scienced...0224204808.html

a  2010 study published  in the esteemed PNAS journal found that mosquitoes are resistant to DEET please  see http://www.scienceda...0506092733.html

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 10 February 2017 - 07:39 AM.

#11 wilddog

wilddog

Order of the Pith

• Moderators
  • 2,430 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks @COSMIC RHINO

#12 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:23 AM

recent Swedish research  please see  http://www.scienceda...0209142640.html shows  that once someone has  once someone has been bitten by a malaria carrying misquito , the parasite produces a molecule HMBPP which stimulates the human red blood cells to produce more carbon dioxide and volatile compounds  which will attract more of the same stinging insects in the future 

even a very low level of HMPBB is appealing , they go back to the same person 

they need HMBPP to grow

it is their taxi system to spread the infection around  according to the report

under consideration is using HMBPP as a trap to attract malaria mosquitoes 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 13 February 2017 - 08:34 AM.

• ZaminOz likes this

#13 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:03 AM

• research from the francis crik institute shows  that someone who get malaria is able to eventually   destroy most of the infection, but some remain within the body as part of the pir gene family,  they can stay around for years without causing symptoms
  • please see http://www.scienceda...0206111900.html
  • after looking a reports at sciencedaily I will be using  lemon eculyaptus , cinnamon oil etc within a body wash gel 
  • deet presents  problems ,and the one time I used it , I got a bad skin rash almost immediately
  • lemon eucalyptus oil is not the one commonly used in products, it is available in Sydney  but not easily , it is easier for me to get it online from the UK using Fishpond an online dealer from New Zealand

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 14 February 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#14 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,793 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:25 AM

• a system to diffuse Artemesione  according  to individual patient needs is in the process of being developed 
  • it is expected to be affordable  for developing countries]
  • please see http://sciencedaily.com
  • go to health ,then more topics ,then malaria   MALARIA TREATMENT SOON TO BE SIMPLER 10 MARCH
  • this is promising

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 13 March 2017 - 07:30 AM.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.