See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Bioacoustics

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Bates

Bill Bates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:02 AM
  • Category 1:Biologist
  • Category 2:Biologist

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hello, I am a University of British Columbia Zoology Prof doing research in Bioacoustics, mostly Lions and many species of birds, plus many animals in British Columbia Canada. I travel to Africa twice a year every year for the past 18 years. Are there any other folks on this site interested in animal communication and doing research?

Plus you might be interested in our new book, "The Biology of African Savannahs" Shorrocks and Bates published by Oxford U Press. It is the first book dealing with all aspects of African savannah biology that uses the integrative multi-disciplinary approach to tell the story, not only ecology, but behaviour, molecular biology, reproductive biology..............using the latest scientific methods such as using satellites to study seasonal reproduction, mass spec to study dietary histories in elephant hairs, microsatellite DNA to track the source of poached ivory.......plus a detailed chapter on conservation. Some of you might like this read!!!  Cheers, Bill Bates  BC Canada.

• JohnR likes this

#2 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,885 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:33 PM

Hi @Bill Bates and welcome to Safaritalk. Your work sounds very interesting even to those of us who are not researchers ourselves. I was fascinated by Caitlin O'Connell's work on elephant communication. I may take a dip into your book.
What pays stays.

#3 egilio

egilio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 PM
  • Category 1:Conservationist/Naturalist
  • Category 2:Ecologist

Posted 10 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

@Bill Bates Sounds like an interesting book! I'm in the final stages of my Ph.D. on risk effects between African carnivores, and between carnivores and prey on different spatial and temporal scales.

#4 Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hello @Bill Bates.  What an intriguing and important area you work in and thank you for the book recommendation.

When you think of a rhino, think of a tree (African proverb)

#5 Game Warden

Game Warden

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • 16,406 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:57 PM

@Bill Bates Welcome to Safaritalk. Please do feel free to talk further about your book and promote it, link to where it can be purchased etc., in the Your Published Books subforum.

I also read your comment re Offbeat Meru, that topic is closed to further posting and a note was put up by Offbeat themselves about the closure. Time to remove the banner, indeed.

Matt

"Return to old watering holes for more than water; friends and dreams are there to meet you." - African proverb.

How to create your gallery album and upload images.

How to post images in the text.

Want to tag another member in a post? Use @ before their display name, eg @game warden

#6 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,635 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 AM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:57 AM

welcome 

what sort of readership is the  book  aimed at ?

would someone neede a science degree to understand it ?

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.