Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ice

To all you lion experts out there

8 posts in this topic

please have a look at the pictures I attached; pictures of a lioness we filmed close to Lower Sabie, early one morning, even before the sun had risen completely. I now wonder what these stains on her fur are: blood from a kill (on her back?), wounds from a fight with maybe another lion or possibly a skin desease?

Would love to hear some opnions.

post-6901-0-99889800-1481302721_thumb.jpg

post-6901-0-93070100-1481302725_thumb.jpg

post-6901-0-76857000-1481302729_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

I'm not a lion expert by any means, but I see similar on my house cats. Not in that quantity but it looks similar. I've been to the vet for them twice and have been told that it's infected (oozing, bloody) claw mark (from fighting with the other cat). It's much more noticeable on my short-haired white cat, for obvious reasons.

I'm not a lion expert by any means, but I see similar on my house cats. Not in that quantity but it looks similar. I've been to the vet for them twice and have been told that it's infected (oozing, bloody) claw mark (from fighting with the other cat). It's much more noticeable on my short-haired white cat, for obvious reasons.

that's the explanation I find most likely, too - blood splatters from a kill usually look completely different; not sure about skin diseases, though, that's why I asked

Not an expert either but I think you are right they are small wounds. There are a couple of linear cuts etc. and signs of claws dragging downwards on the right side. Poor girl; but she will no doubt be fine as they seem superficial.

By the look of her back end she has had a few problems before, although they are now fully healed.

I would personally say wounds from intraspecific fighting. But I'm no expert!
In my visit during September there was a lioness with similar but far worse wounds at Satara.

I would guess it's from fighting. Could be territorial, over food, defending cubs against new males, new males trying to suppress her, but pretty sure it's from fighting with (an) other lion(s).

thanks everybody, you seem to confirm my own initial assumption

On 12/10/2016 at 0:58 AM, ice said:

please have a look at the pictures I attached; pictures of a lioness we filmed close to Lower Sabie, early one morning, even before the sun had risen completely. I now wonder what these stains on her fur are: blood from a kill (on her back?), wounds from a fight with maybe another lion or possibly a skin desease?

post-6901-0-99889800-1481302721_thumb.jpg

~ @ice

By chance I read this thread this morning.

In mid-February of this year I was in Lower Sabie on an all-day game drive.

It was lightly raining at roughly 2:30 pm when a lioness limped out of fairly tall grass, followed by two other lionesses.

She was covered with nearly exactly the same marks as shown in your image above, but perhaps less recent, as not so dark.

The ranger commented that it resembled fight wounds.

Seeing your images makes me wonder if Lower Sabie is a rough neighborhood these days.

Tom K.