See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

Teleconverters / extenders

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 surfmom

surfmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (first-time visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 30 December 2016 - 11:25 PM

@xelas, thanks for your thoughts... that is where I was going with the 24-70 was not to bring it at all.  One less thing to carry and worry about!  Love your description of the Olympus!  (ugh... before I forget, need to get a second battery!)

good math.  I'm impressed.  that is where I was going - so I hope I'm ok.

other option is to rent something - pay for all the insurance... and get more distance since I don't need the 2.8?

• xelas likes this

#22 xelas

xelas

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:53 AM

@xelas, thanks for your thoughts... that is where I was going with the 24-70 was not to bring it at all.  One less thing to carry and worry about!  Love your description of the Olympus!  (ugh... before I forget, need to get a second battery!)

good math.  I'm impressed.  that is where I was going - so I hope I'm ok.

other option is to rent something - pay for all the insurance... and get more distance since I don't need the 2.8?

From what I have read, game drives come close to wildlife as they can get off the road. Thus your max reach should be OK. Best light and sightings are always early ... and late, f/4 will come handy. OTOH Canon's 100-400 is perfect safari lens. And there is no such thing as too much reach

#23 JohnR

JohnR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,912 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 AM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)

Posted 31 December 2016 - 10:19 AM

@surfmom Just a couple of extra details as @xelas has covered most of the points

1) The EF 70-300 L is not compatible with any of Canon's extenders so you would have to get a third party extender if you got this lens and wanted more reach. The lens itself is sharp and has fast AF so well worth considering if the animals will be close such as in a zoo or on private reserves where they could get you close to the animals.

2) Generally Canon extenders are preferred as Canon makes their lenses of the same era compatible with those extenders so you get the best AF. The best combination for safaris is definitely the 100-400 mark 2 with the 1.4x mark 3. They work brilliantly together especially with the 7D2 which has Canon's fast AF even with this extender attached. The older 100-400 mark 1 focusing slows down hugely  with extenders of all varieties and ages.

3) I have used the 70-200 f2.8 mark 1 plus 1.4x mark 2 on safari which gives you an effective 100-280 f4 and it was OK at water holes from hides but not so good on drives where we were restricted to the roads. The 70-300 L would be a better option.

What pays stays.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.