Kgalagadi colours in October are very much different to Kgalagadi colours in February! And both are fascinating. Perfect shaped S, it takes quite many frames to get one like yours.

Kgalagadi colours in October are very much different to Kgalagadi colours in February! And both are fascinating. Perfect shaped S, it takes quite many frames to get one like yours.

I have not seen southern Africa in green....yet. our main focus is animals so I'm thinking there will be less traffic at waterholes?

So true, many many shots to capture the S just so.

It's exciting when you can feel your spotting skills improve. Nice job on the Brownie.

Imagine my joy at finally meeting my friend and her husband after having exchanged many emails about our Africa travels and love for its wildlife. Thanks to her finding two openings, we are next to each other in a chalet at Grootkolk and manage to visit and eat dinner together while chatting and getting to know each other. Very lovely visit with our friends in a stunning setting.

post-47216-0-09097800-1481412944_thumb.jpg

My lovely friend and her husband, helping me sew shut a sleeping bag with damaged zipper. And wouldn't you know it? Both parties had brought along sewing material! Such good boy/girl scouts we are.

post-47216-0-96837800-1481413121_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-00785700-1481413070_thumb.jpg

Inside the Grootkolk chalet cabin

post-47216-0-79384100-1481413014_thumb.jpg

Kitchen area is located on the patio

post-47216-0-97343200-1481412902_thumb.jpg

See how the paint is missing on the low wall to the right? A few days prior to our visit, a lion had climbed over the wall, then explored the patio and fenced in area, while the visitors were inside the cabin. The story was written up in the cabin log book. Wow!

Edited by KaliCA

It was such a thrill to meet you both, and in such a wonderful place. (and spend time sewing together!) Pen

While the chalets visits are certainly a highlight, we do not see the abundant game at their waterholes as during our previous visit. So rather than sitting on the porch and waiting for animals to come to us, we have to go out and find them.

KTP is not only famous for cats, but also for raptors and we did see a few Bateleur Eagles, Martial Eagles, as well as Hawks and Goshawks.

In Nossob, after having suffered through too many cold nights, I finally beg a Sanparks clerks to loan us some warm blankets and they are nice enough to do that. During the day, the temperatures climb up to 30C, but drop to near freezing at night. The blankets help a lot, thanks Sanparks!

Tip: bring your own warm sleeping bag to keep warm and toasty during the near freezing temperatures in the winter of the Southern Hemisphere.

Here are another few Kgalagadi shots:

post-47216-0-66700100-1481428650_thumb.jpg

Famous tree with huge weaver nests on road to Nossob

post-47216-0-91263700-1481428740_thumb.jpg

Urikaruus chalet by day

post-47216-0-10212300-1481428997_thumb.jpg

Urikaruus chalet at night

post-47216-0-50797400-1481429155_thumb.jpg

Night view of Urikaruus waterhole

post-47216-0-39614200-1481429523_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-32777900-1481429599_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-90821400-1481429709_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-03036200-1481429799_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-60053800-1481429889_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-36280100-1481429922_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-84426200-1481429950_thumb.jpg

Edited by KaliCA

On our last morning, we drive to Craig Lockhart waterhole and there are a few cars parked, waiting. Not 5 minutes later, a truly regal male with the trademark dark Kalahari mane, struts onto the scene and drinks from the waterhole, looks at the spectators with his golden cat eyes, before making his way up to a red dune and lying down, eying an oryx. Bam! Cherry on top and great way to say good-bye to a very special place that is the Kgalagadi.

post-47216-0-06671400-1481430544_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-50750300-1481430550_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-75159700-1481430561_thumb.jpg

Edited by KaliCA

On our last morning, we drive to Craig Lockhart waterhole and there are a few cars parked, waiting. Not 5 minutes later, a truly regal male with the trademark dark Kalahari mane, struts onto the scene and drinks from the waterhole, looks at the spectators with his golden cat eyes, before making his way up to a red dune and lying down, eying an oryx. Bam! Cherry on top and great way to say good-bye to a very special place that is the Kgalagadi. see above

We have another very long driving day ahead of us. Our goal is Zelda's Guest farm 20km before the border to Botswana along the B 6. Checking out of the park and crossing the border at Mata Mata, is again fast and easy. Then we need to check back into Namibia, filling in the same arrival information again. There are no lines and we are off driving again along the Auob River, heading north now along the C20 and the Nossob river bed , alas, no more animals. post-47216-0-96422200-1481430977_thumb.jpgWe get to Zelda's after 5 pm and visit with the two new leopards and some other animals. Camping is quite luxurious, the braai station is a small fortress and a table and chairs are provided

post-47216-0-70803400-1481431019_thumb.jpg

Edited by KaliCA

@@KaliCA what a wonderful itinerary. I am enjoying this TR so much and looking forward to reading about your travels in Botswana.

Do you have any idea of the number of meerkats at the colony at Bagatelle? Great photo of the Brownie at Grootkalk!

@@KaliCA what a wonderful itinerary. I am enjoying this TR so much and looking forward to reading about your travels in Botswana.

Do you have any idea of the number of meerkats at the colony at Bagatelle? Great photo of the Brownie at Grootkallk

Hi there, thanks for coming along on this trip!

Hmmm, did not count the meerkats, maybe 25-30. I just concentrated on a few close by but others were scurrying around and digging furiously. There are some at KTP, but did not see them.

I meant to ask the experts. Check out the picture of the Martial Eagle.Looks like it is holding down an antelope, judging from the little hooves? is this common? Do eagles carry off such heavy prey?

post-47216-0-93419200-1481442101_thumb.jpg

@@KaliCA

the eagle could either be holding the leftovers of a kill another predator had made or it could have brought down a steenbok or a springbok lamb all by himself (although I wouldn't expect to see springbok lambs in october, the coloration of the leg to me looks indeed like that of a steenbok). Somewhere I read that martial eagles can kill adult duikers (appr. 35 kg) although these kills would of course be to heavy to be taken into a tree as a whole. Anyway, martial eagle are considered to be apex predators.

Edited by ice

Great night sky photography at Urikaruus :)

Thanks! DH did have some help along the way :P

Hello safari goers!

Thanks to all who have joined us for part ONE of this self-drive adventure. Part TWO continues in the Botswana trip report forum.

What's that? Did I just hear you say you want to see some gorgeous Bots lions?

Well then, click on the link below, and the journey continues...

Cheers!

http://safaritalk.net/topic/16985-self-drive-safari-tr-bots-nam-sa/

Canadian Robin

Lovely shot of the Brownie!

I like the two red hartebeest acting as bookends for the tree.

I can't believe you both got into Grootkolk. When did they add the canvas roof over the outside cooking/dining area?

Love the Urikaruus-at night-shot. Smart to take advantage of J's expertise.

The other photo that caught my eye was the one of the wildebeests in the dust - wonderful!

I am off to your Bots post!

Thanks for the armchair Kgalagadi visit.

Coming to this Tr rather late I am afraid but what a joy. Suck lively views and some really good wildlife sightings/ shots.

I particulalry like the Brown Hyena. I have seen them myself but generally at night so to see this lovely daylight picture is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing this part of your adventure and I look forward to reading the second installment which I know awaits!

The_Norwegian

great report! Looking forward to more!

Coming to this Tr rather late I am afraid but what a joy. Suck lively views and some really good wildlife sightings/ shots.

I particulalry like the Brown Hyena. I have seen them myself but generally at night so to see this lovely daylight picture is wonderful.

Thanks for sharing this part of your adventure and I look forward to reading the second installment which I know awaits!

Thank you, too kind. happy to know my TR provides some joy and entertainment.

Lovely shot of the Brownie!

I like the two red hartebeest acting as bookends for the tree.

I can't believe you both got into Grootkolk. When did they add the canvas roof over the outside cooking/dining area?

Love the Urikaruus-at night-shot. Smart to take advantage of J's expertise.

The other photo that caught my eye was the one of the wildebeests in the dust - wonderful!

I am off to your Bots post!

Thanks for the armchair Kgalagadi visit.

I think they added the roof during the general renovation. It's even more perfect now! Enjoy Pen Edited by penolva

Just noticed that the cheetah got a bit forgotten. Sadly, none of them were intimate sightings, so the pics are mostly proof shots.

post-47216-0-50759500-1481599135_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-77486000-1481599088_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-29953100-1481599169_thumb.jpg

post-47216-0-76380200-1481599205_thumb.jpg

Sorry I am late!

But i am now standing firmly on the back bumper, as that seems to be the only spot left!

Wonderful use of light in your photography!