Nothern Namibia - Etosha and beyond, a photographers tale

buddy4344

Thanks for the info about Hadassa. We have stayed there in 2014, apparently under previous owners. It was a nice place, and we have had dinner also.

We will stop for a night also this trip. Do you know if we need to book the dinner in advance?

It is my understanding that at least a day in advance, if not more, is preferred as she works with local farms to know what is in season and what meats are available. Please tell the owners I said 'hello'. Enjoy your trip.

Thanks, Buddy. Lucien contacted, dinner booked, hello forwarded!

Awesome report @@buddy4344! Photography is indeed very, very nice although I'm more into animals and landscapes than into people. :) Namibia is an amazing country and I hope to return someday... Combined Kgalagadi & Namibia in 2014, so many great memories! :)

Edited by MR1980

Peter Connan

Your photography (especially of the Himbas) is quite stunning!

Your photos are good to great but at your first night at Halali waterhole I realized that you from the USA! Loud! Please respect other people! Whisper around the waterhole as others want to hear the calls of the bush and not about ISO and F-stops! You first mentioned spotlights to be used and at the end you mentioned strobe, its the spot light that is the problem and more a problem for wildlife in the night as you are blinding them! Sorry that I'm a bit harsh.

Dave Williams

Your photos are good to great but at your first night at Halali waterhole I realized that you from the USA! Loud! Please respect other people! Whisper around the waterhole as others want to hear the calls of the bush and not about ISO and F-stops! You first mentioned spotlights to be used and at the end you mentioned strobe, its the spot light that is the problem and more a problem for wildlife in the night as you are blinding them! Sorry that I'm a bit harsh.

I have to presume you were actually there otherwise your comments are totally unwarranted as you can't possibly know what was objected to?

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2017 at 4:06 PM, opsafari said:

Thank you for your comments. Sorry if our talk bothered you, but photographers need a few iterations to get night camera settings.

I don't know if you were there with me or not. I do know we were respectful of others there to watch. We did not have a spot light. We had a flash and transmitter for off-camera shooting, but after hearing protest from a few following two or three photos, we chose to turn this off. 

Regarding 'blinding the wildlife', the power of a small flash 80 meters from a waterhole is minuscule relative to the huge electric power spotlights the park installs surrounding the water hole.

• 5 weeks later...

"About half way up, it dawned on me I would also have to drive DOWN this steep road the next day."

As a passenger, I was unnerved going both up and down that steep incline.

Great shots of people in addition to animals.  Your insights into human photography are a good addition to the shots.

The giraffe on the sandy hillside is a tremendous shot.