See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

gambia election change after 22 years

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:---

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:24 PM

It looks like it’s all over and situation has been resolved entirely peacefully. :)  

Ex-president Jammeh has left The Gambia and been flown to Guinea from where he will go into exile I presume in Nigeria. :) 

When it was clear that the Senegalese army was preparing to invade, General Ousman Badjie the head of Gambian army stated that he had no intention of fighting the Senegalese, that the crisis was a political matter not a military one and he didn’t want a war with anyone. He went on to declare his loyalty to the country’s new president Adama Barrow, at this point with ECOWAS threatening to use force if Jammeh did not step down it must have been obvious to Jammeh that there was no point in trying to cling on. Whatever was said to him by the presidents of Guinea and Mauretania in last minute negotiations, there was no way that he could realistically stay on. According to the BBC it was feared that an elite unit The Gambia National Guard who were for ethnic reasons loyal to ex-president Jammeh and not General Badjie might decide to fight, however I guess they had the sense not to commit suicide. Had it come to war a lot of innocent people would have ended up dying for precisely nothing, there’s no way that Jammeh’s supporters could have won, I hope that the Gambia will now return to normal, this situation has clearly done nothing for the tourist trade that the country depends on.

Although I felt that the UK should perhaps have done more to help resolve this given that The Gambia was a former British colony, I’m actually on reflection very glad that we didn’t have to, and that Africa sorted it out without the need for outside assistance. I hope this will send a clear message to other African leaders who might try to outstay their welcome that the age of the ‘Big Man’ really is coming to an end; at least in West Africa and that the future is genuine democracy. 

• wilddog, michael-ibk and Seniortraveller like this

#22 inyathi

inyathi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts
  • Local time: 12:29 PM
  • Category 2:---

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

It now seems that Mr Jammeh has decided to go and live in Equatorial Guinea, obviously Nigeria was a bit too democratic for his liking and he thought he'd go somewhere with a leader even more despotic than he was.

Edited by inyathi, 22 January 2017 - 11:36 AM.

#23 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,627 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:09 AM

there was a priority to move somewhere  which was not part  of the ICC system

the radio news reported  that Gambian govt financial  reserves are now empty

the new president  is keen on have a truth and reconciliation commission held into the recent events in the nation

• inyathi likes this

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#24 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:04 AM

• they are checking  the place for bombs and mercenaries  before the new president arrives
  • well pres Jammeh wanted a signed agreement of a guarantee to run in a future election and a guarantee of not being prosecuted for any abuses of his government, he did not get one
  • it is believed that he stole USD 11.4 million in his final weeks and sent out lux cars in a cargo plane
  • offshore banking arrangements  and those who set up shell companies are partly to blame for this, it is much less likely if it would have happened if he had to have all assets and  accounts registered in his own name
  • the updated figure of those who have gone into exile out of concern for their safety is 45,000

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 24 January 2017 - 08:27 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

#25 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,627 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

ECOWAS troops  will be staying 6 months  to stabilize the nation

the new vice president is going to be a woman Fatoumata Tambajang

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.