See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rhino101

Planning a trip for 2017

5 posts in this topic

Hello guys, so i what to plan a trip for next year for me and my dad, possibly around march/april time!

So went on a trip to africa about 2 years ago, it was all done through a travel agent, started in south africa then on to botswana then to victoria falls, while this was a amazing trip full of memorys, there was too much traveling each day to a knew camp!

This time, i just want to go somewere like krugar and stay there and maby travel between 1 or 2 camps, but i dont want to book through a travel agent, im happy to book it myself.

Could anyone guide me to some sites that they use? Oh and if possible i would like to hire a vecheil

well, you have to tell us a little more about your requirements and possible restrictions, most importantly your intended length of stay, your budget and if you want to do a guided trip or are happy to self-drive.

Welcome @@Rhino101.

If you want to stay in the SA National Parks, it is very easy to book online through the SANPARKS website.

For most national parks, almost any car is suitable, and assuming you stay in pre-built accomodation, you can hire a car through any of the rental agencies.

If you want to camp, you can hire a fully equipped motorhome or 4x4 campervan through several companies such as Brits or Maui.

The forum SAWild (also known as the green forum has a lot of information about the specific parks, camps and so forth.

Also speak to @@xelas, he has a huge amount of experience booking self-drive adventures from outside countries.

Good luck with the planning!

Posted (edited)

And welcome to forum also from my side, @@Rhino101 . I am probably the least experienced on this forum, with only 4 visits to that part of the world, but I have some extensive years of self-driving behind me.

Kruger is an excellent park to start with self-driving adventures. It has a vast net of camps, paved roads and also enough of smaller gravel roads that will keep you occupied. It has three "sectors", for each 10-14 days is a minimum, IMO: north, central and south. South is the most visited one, central supposed to have best big cats sightings, and north is much calmer re. visitors and excellent for birders. Anywhere in the park, wildlife sightings are guaranteed; what kind of wildlife and their interaction you will encounter depends on luck.

As mentioned by Peter, booking is fairly easy using the SANParks website. Just that best cabins are booked 11 months in advance (when the bookings opens). I have still to make my first proper camping (tent et all) trip so cannot give you any advices about this type. But rooms/cabins, they come in different "shapes and sizes". They all are well equipped for self-catering, which is another important way how to fully enjoy your safari! Nothing, not even the best steak cooked by the chef, can beat the taste of the juicy steak done on the braai, when the sun sets down and with a sundowner in your hand. If in the company of some friends, even better (if vegetarian, just change steak for anything vegetable).

The car; you will find them of any size and forms. From tiny Hyundai i10 to massive Land Rover transformed in a bushcamper. If staying "under the hard roof" then you will not need those bakkies (Toyota Hilux or similar). But the smaller ones have their disadvantages. In my case, I have rented a Honda Mobilio (for 2 persons). It is a vehicle with third row of seats, and when those are retracted, plenty of space for food and luggage. This type of car is also a bit higher than a normal sedan. Same class but even higher is Toyota Avanza. Or go for an SUV; a 2WD is good enough. Anything like Hyundai ix35, etc it all depends on the daily rate. I have rented from AVIS at JNB airport. The pick up and drop off procedures were quick and efficient, and there were no nasty surprises ("Look, there is a new scratch on the roof! Oh, that will be expensive to repair ..."). However there are many others, so best is to research also other travel and rental car related forums for latest info and advice.

Where to go?! Cannot comment on this. We have enjoyed the northern part this October/November, mostly due to excellent birding seeing also many other mammals and some cats. At the same time, central area was filled with big cats, and on the south one could encounter a rhino on a daily basis.

Wherever you go, whatever type of travel you will do, it will be another memorable experience!

Edited by xelas