Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
COSMIC RHINO

browsing animals and creating savannas in Africa

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

Although it is from a popular source this article written by a researcher so ordinary people who have no post school science education is very good at explaining things

it can be found at 11 nov THE CONVERSATION AFRICA'S SPINY TREES OFFER LESSONS IN UNDERSTANDING THE EARTH'S ECOLOGY http://theconversation.com/africas-spiny-trees-offe-lessons-in-understanding-the-earths-ecology-65678

there are a number of scientific papers connected to the hyperlinks

some of them are open access ,others not

I find the article linked in paragraph 6 starting "for example, our evidence that medium sized browsing animals ---- " and marked field based studies to be worthwhile, please see Is there a browse trap JOURNAL OF ECOLOGY 2014

the browsing influence of animals was estimated by fencing of areas of bush and comparing the condition of plants with and without browsing

the influence of browsing is considered to be more important than fire

fire can only become an influence of plants who survive browsing

medium sized animals such as nyala and impala are especially important

further research noted in paragraph 4 (but research my colleagues and I --- SPINY PLANTS,MAMMAL BROWSERS AND THE ORIGIN OF AFRICAN SAVANNAS PNAS SEP 2016 )

over 16 million years plants for unrelated lineages developed spines 55 times, the arrival and diversification of bovids changed woody plants , browsing animals predated fire by millions of years as a driving for the origin of savannas

Edited by COSMIC RHINO