See all Safaritalk Special Offers

Message to Guests.

Welcome to Safaritalk where we have been talking Safaris and wildlife conservation since 2006. As a guest you're welcome to read through certain areas of the forum, but to access all the facilities and to contribute your experience, ask questions and get involved, you'll need to be a member - so register here: it's quick, free and easy and I look forward to having you as a Safaritalker soon. Matt.

Photo

browsing animals and creating savannas in Africa

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Order of the Pith

• Members
  • 6,666 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • Category 1:Tourist (regular visitor)
  • Category 2:Environmentalist

Posted 22 November 2016 - 07:26 AM

Although it is from a popular  source  this article written by a researcher  so ordinary people who have no post school science education  is very good at explaining things

it can be found at   11 nov  THE CONVERSATION   AFRICA'S SPINY TREES OFFER LESSONS IN UNDERSTANDING THE EARTH'S ECOLOGY     http://theconversati...s-ecology-65678

there are a number of  scientific papers  connected to the hyperlinks 

some of them are open access  ,others not

I find  the article  linked in paragraph 6 starting "for example, our evidence that medium sized browsing animals  ---- " and marked field based studies   to be worthwhile, please see Is there a browse trap JOURNAL OF ECOLOGY 2014

the browsing influence of animals  was  estimated by fencing of areas of bush and comparing the condition of plants with and without browsing

the influence of browsing is considered to be more important than fire

fire can only become an influence of plants who survive browsing

medium sized animals such as nyala and impala  are especially important

further research  noted in paragraph 4  (but research  my colleagues and I   ---  SPINY PLANTS,MAMMAL BROWSERS AND THE ORIGIN OF AFRICAN SAVANNAS  PNAS SEP 2016 )

over 16 million years plants for unrelated lineages developed spines 55 times, the arrival and diversification of bovids changed woody plants , browsing animals  predated fire by millions of years as a driving for the origin of savannas 

Edited by COSMIC RHINO, 22 November 2016 - 07:54 AM.

Wild Africa is in my blood. All life is sacred and interconnected. for the animals are fellow nations caught in the splendor and trevail of the earth.

© 2006 - 2016 www.safaritalk.net - Talking Safaris and African Wildlife Conservation since 2006. Passionate about Africa.

Welcome guest to Safaritalk.
Please Register or Login to use the full facilities.