jeremie

October 2016 APN monthly report

12 posts in this topic

https://africanparksupdate10.org

I am very happy to see that some progress is being done to manage Pendjari in Benin, which is the best protected area of West Africa.

3 people like this

Some good news in there! 4 parks in Zimb? Which ones would that be?

Cheetahs in Liwonde? Hmmm.

@@egilio

Ir seems that the four parks in Zimbabwe are Matusadona, Matopos, Chizarira and Chinanimani.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Out of curiosity, how will it work in Kenya when/if African Parks take on Shaba and Buffalo Springs?

At the moment these 2 parks are linked with Samburu and all 3 can be visited on a single park entry ticket.

Edited by Soukous

I have wondered that too @@Soukous - hopefully the current system of "admission to one gains admission to all" does not change.

Because due to their comparatively small size, it's nice to spend half a day in Samburu and the other half in Buffalo Springs for example.

Posted (edited)

@Soukous My understanding is that Isiolo County Council wanted to hand over the reserves to African Parks because it had not been effecitve in either marketing or protecting them and all of their income was going on management anyway..Perhaps this is why they were able to agree to a single fee for all reserves - because the Isiolo side were deperate enoughto agree to the Samburu side's demands. I don't know. Anyway, African Parks will be fully responsible for marketing the two reserves if they take over, and so I suspect they will want to generate income in their own way. Longer-term would that be likley to include mass safari toursim, Samuru-style? I doubt it as I think they strongly favour the lower impact overseas toursim models where possible - but of course I don't know any more than you.

I am more interested to see that there is no mention of Bisanandi Reserve. I thought that was also being handed over, which was very interesting because it would raise the prospect of a larger protected ecosystem (from Meru up to Shaba at least and with Ian Craig hovering around the negotiations perhaps even much more).

I also saw some reports about fAfrican parks planning to use fencing in these reserves.I don't know if they were true as teh source was the Country Council or governor and not African Parks.

This is all very, very interesting. @@Paolo might know someone to ask even though I think he is more interested in other areas at the moment - and assuming he is not still in Zimbabwe cooking fresh pasta by head torch.

Edited by pault

Posted (edited)

@@pault

Who says I am not interested in that area too? I have been to Shaba twice, and I will be there again in 2018 for a somewhat longer stay. Incidentally, the nearby Sera Comservancy produces excellent sun-dried tomato that will come very handy in preparing the sauce for any kind pasta, fresh or not...

It is true that I have a few friends in African Parks, but in any matter involving the Isiolo County (that is rife with politics) I would only let AP's official statements do the talking.

Edited by Paolo
4 people like this

@@Paolo Sun-dried tomatos? I was very close to deciding to go to Sera - that could have tilted the balance.

And only MORE interested in other areas AT THE MOMENT ... I would never claim you lacked interest in that area. I just doubted it would be the AP project of most interest to you.

Okay I will have to wait until I get to the area next June to find out (if I can separate the truth from the rumour that is).

I have to say that it's positive that African Parks is going to manage over Chinanimini,Matobos, Matsudona,and Chizaria. Mastodon,aand Matobos are viable still safari locations which have good lodges. Matusadona has three very good lodges: Rhino Csmp,Changa, and Musango lodge. Matobos has two: Big Cave. and Amalinda. They both still fine tourist destinations,however, there's no question that with that with the intervention of African Parks that they would improve.

Sad but true, Chirazaria is potentially park which has fallen into disrepair due to all of Zimbabwe's political problems. Ant Kaschula my guide at Gonarzehou Bush Camp said that it was spectacularly beautiful park wish still has plenty of wildlife including sable. it only needs better management which could get a lodge to reopen there. Chinanimani is also a potentially fine location which I know is quite distinctive from anywhere else in Zimbabwe. It could also be a good destination.

Posted (edited)

I'm surprised that there's any wildlife worth seeing in Benin. Unfortunately,it's government hasn't done very much to encourage tourism. I was surprised that

on Tripadvisor, there were some very positive reviews. There are people who do see forest elephants,and lions. There are also roan,and tiang tiang. Big game hunting is still allowed in Benin,but fortunately not for forest elephants.

Edited by optig